+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst Notts County manager ever

Quote Originally Posted by ForeignLegion View Post
    Of course they’ll have it if that scenario happens. What you mean is, you’ve made up your mind, and you won’t have it.
    Actually, I think he could turn it around if he’s given time. He seems to see the problems, he’s prepared to try things and as I said elsewhere, our style requires a lot of practice and new patterns will take time to bed in, but I understand everyone else’s mind is made up and you don’t come back from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Magpie View Post
    I don’t think it matters now what happens. Even if we win the last 11 games, storm the playoffs and go up, the good will has gone and the first sign of problems would bring all the old arguments out again. Worst manager our not, I don’t see any future for SM at Notts, the fans won’t have it.
    That's far too bleak. Fans are fickle both ways.

To quote your words, if we won the last 11 games, stormed the play-offs and went up, with the squad as it is, the fans would be singing Stuart Maynard's praises from the rooftops and the critics would be so deep in their worm holes you wouldn't be able to see them.

Now granted, they would soon surface again if we lost the next few games after that. It happened with Luke Williams even after his incredible achievements, and to Warnock back in the day, but sadly that's football fans for you. It's why club owners shouldn't be swayed too much by fans' petulant, childlike short-term mood swings. That's where Trew and Hardy went wrong.

I'm not saying for one moment that I think Maynard will go on the run of wins you're using as an example - it would be astonishing in the current context. My view is that SM has clearly had a very poor start and he desperately needs some better results soon, otherwise the owners will indeed begin having as many doubts as the fans, but as a Notts supporter I really hope Stuart Maynard can turn things around.

Why would anyone who calls themselves a Notts County fan want anything else? A win tomorrow night alone would lighten the mood a little.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    How many outstanding candidates were there out there? If Mike Williamson were still at Gateshead, he’s have been a shoo-in for the job (if he wanted it), and he’s now doing a great job at Franchise FC (alas). The guy at Crawley would have been my preferred choice, but may have been tough to get.

The way things are going, we may be having the same speculation about a new manager in a few months anyway.
    SM is a nice guy and I think he can probably coach a decent system, but the big issue is that loads of data analysis doesn’t get you a manager who can motivate quality players like JJ and McGoldrick and one who has the respect of the squad. That takes proper leadership and good decisions based on experience. The Bros have got this one very wrong. We need an LW upgrade not an LW trainee.
    Yes players need to take responsibility but owners need to appoint the next step up, not a rookie who’s never won anything and has no EFL experience. I doubt any of the players were impressed by SM’s appointment and they all now know the game is up - it’s human nature.
    We won’t get promotion with SM ever and so the Bros’ need to swallow their pride and get a an experienced caretaker in who can protect our position for next year in terms keeping the good players and retaining good crowds before it’s too late.
    It’s sad for SM as he’s a genuine bloke but he’s the wrong man, wrong time, wrong place. He’s reduced the goals conceded slightly but blunted our attack and killed the feel good factor. You can see it on the players faces.

I don’t think it matters now what happens. Even if we win the last 11 games, storm the playoffs and go up, the good will has gone.
    Couldn't disagree more, if that happened the goodwill would be 100%.

the first sign of problems would bring all the old arguments out again.
    Of course it would, that's how footy fans work!

You all must have realised that Warnock jacked the Aberdeen job in so he could mentor SM? It's clear as day the Bros have been on the phone to him and given him the chance to be the hardman part of the Notts answer to Clough and Taylor! The only thing to be agreed is renaming the Kop, Neil wants "The Warnard KOP" while Stu wants "The Maynock KOP"
    Last edited by SmiffyPie; 11-03-2024 at 08:10 PM.

Maybe we should give the owners credit for a prompt appointment when LW went , obviously a contingency plan appointment.
    Personally , I think JOB should have been given more games in charge .
    In the 5 all draw at Grimsby the players showed some spirit , passion and urgency to earn a point.
    The last three home games have been unbearable and very disappointing after the win at Newport.
    The team have looked better with Jim on the pitch and his passion , urgency and organisation have been to the forefront.
    Sadly it appears that we have another coach in the dugout who struggles to motivate the players.
    Rather reminiscent of Ardley and Burchnall ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dinno_Pie View Post
    So I think for that list to be of true comparison and in context maybe it should only include performance at tiers 3&4 when Notts budgets were far closer to their opposition.
    Definitely the fairest way to do it is by individual each division, I did the whole lot just to show how bad Maynard currently is regardless.
    Broken down into tiers 1-5 (again no caretakers, play off games are factored in but not cups)

Tier 1
    1.24 Howard Wilkinson
    1.22 Albert Fisher
    1.22 Committee
    1.12 Jimmy Sirrel (2)
    0.98 Larry Lloyd
    0.95 Neil Warnock

Tier 2
    2.00 Jimmy Sirrel (4)
    1.80 Committee
    1.54 Albert Fisher
    1.53 Frank Broome
    1.46 Ron Fenton
    1.43 Neil Warnock
    1.40 Mick Walker
    1.40 Jimmy Sirrel (2)
    1.36 Jimmy Sirrel
    1.24 Eric Houghton
    1.24 Horace Henshall
    1.23 George Poyser
    1.14 Howard Kendall
    1.13 Committee (2)
    1.00 Tommy Lawton
    0.83 Richie Barker
    0.72 Russell Slade
    0.55 Larry Lloyd
    0.41 Charlie Jones

Tier 3
    1.98 Jimmy McMullan
    1.98 Horace Henshall
    1.98 Eric Houghton
    1.87 Neil Warnock
    1.82 Jimmy Sirrel
    1.69 Keith Curle
    1.60 Jimmy Sirrel (4)
    1.53 John Barnwell
    1.47 Jocky Scott
    1.46 Arthur Stollery
    1.45 Tim Coleman (2)
    1.43 Colin Murphy
    1.38 Percy Smith
    1.36 Wilf Fisher
    1.30 Martin Allen
    1.27 Harry Parkes
    1.26 Frank Hill
    1.25 Gary Brazil
    1.23 Craig Short
    1.21 Shaun Derry
    1.12 Billy Dearden
    1.12 Sam Allardyce
    1.08 Paul Ince
    1.00 Gary Mills
    0.97 Chris Kiwomya
    0.83 Ricardo Moniz
    0.78 Eddie Lowe
    0.57 Gary Brazil (2)

Tier 4
    2.50 Steve Cotterill
    2.15 Sam Allardyce
    2.01 Jimmy Sirrel
    2.00 David Kevan (2)
    1.87 Frank Hill
    1.62 Luke Williams
    1.56 Kevin Nolan
    1.42 Tim Coleman (3)
    1.42 Andy Beattie
    1.33 Jack Wheeler
    1.30 Ricardo Moniz
    1.29 Hans Backe
    1.28 Steve Thompson
    1.26 Jack Burkitt
    1.24 Eddie Lowe
    1.18 Harry Kewell
    1.17 Ian Richardson
    1.13 Gudjon Thordarson
    1.13 Ian McParland
    1.10 Billy Gray
    1.10 Mark Cooper
    1.06 Gary Mills
    0.96 Neal Ardley
    0.92 John Sheridan
    0.83 Jamie Fullarton
    0.50 Stuart Maynard

Tier 5
    2.33 Luke Williams
    1.77 Ian Burchnall
    1.70 Neal Ardley

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    You all must have realised that Warnock jacked the Aberdeen job in so he could mentor SM? It's clear as day the Bros have been on the phone to him and given him the chance to be the hardman part of the Notts answer to Clough and Taylor! The only thing to be agreed is renaming the Kop, Neil wants "The Warnard KOP" while Stu wants "The Maynock KOP"
    I hadn't realised, but it sounds like a bloody good plan!

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    Wow. He’s keeping some special company there.

The bros have got this one wrong. When LW left we needed more of an impact manager to see the season through and galvanise the players whilst we spread the net out for someone to fit the philosophy long term. We needed some experience and charisma, instead we got a seemingly nice bloke who can probably coach but does not at all come over as much of a great leader and communicator.

He does speak sense in his interviews but they are so mundane and irritating that I can’t bear more than a few minutes. Imagine listening to it all week. Now we’re stuck, what do the owners do? We’ve a squad with players clearly not up to scratch, many with another year on their contracts, and a manager out of his depth.

The owners will probably not pull the trigger just yet but will be re-evaluating their decisions and searching for possible replacements if the next three to four games show no improvement.
    He just won't have the respect from the more 'seasoned' pros. He's not very tall either, which even more makes it difficult for him. Don't get me wrong and paraphrase what I'm saying that you have to be a giant to be a good manager, but everytime I see SM interviewed, it's as though he is the Wealdstone Raider's slightly bigger brother.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Definitely the fairest way to do it is by individual each division, I did the whole lot just to show how bad Maynard currently is regardless.
    Broken down into tiers 1-5 (again no caretakers, play off games are factored in but not cups)

Tier 1
    1.24 Howard Wilkinson
    1.22 Albert Fisher
    1.22 Committee
    1.12 Jimmy Sirrel (2)
    0.98 Larry Lloyd
    0.95 Neil Warnock

Tier 2
    2.00 Jimmy Sirrel (4)
    1.80 Committee
    1.54 Albert Fisher
    1.53 Frank Broome
    1.46 Ron Fenton
    1.43 Neil Warnock
    1.40 Mick Walker
    1.40 Jimmy Sirrel (2)
    1.36 Jimmy Sirrel
    1.24 Eric Houghton
    1.24 Horace Henshall
    1.23 George Poyser
    1.14 Howard Kendall
    1.13 Committee (2)
    1.00 Tommy Lawton
    0.83 Richie Barker
    0.72 Russell Slade
    0.55 Larry Lloyd
    0.41 Charlie Jones

Tier 3
    1.98 Jimmy McMullan
    1.98 Horace Henshall
    1.98 Eric Houghton
    1.87 Neil Warnock
    1.82 Jimmy Sirrel
    1.69 Keith Curle
    1.60 Jimmy Sirrel (4)
    1.53 John Barnwell
    1.47 Jocky Scott
    1.46 Arthur Stollery
    1.45 Tim Coleman (2)
    1.43 Colin Murphy
    1.38 Percy Smith
    1.36 Wilf Fisher
    1.30 Martin Allen
    1.27 Harry Parkes
    1.26 Frank Hill
    1.25 Gary Brazil
    1.23 Craig Short
    1.21 Shaun Derry
    1.12 Billy Dearden
    1.12 Sam Allardyce
    1.08 Paul Ince
    1.00 Gary Mills
    0.97 Chris Kiwomya
    0.83 Ricardo Moniz
    0.78 Eddie Lowe
    0.57 Gary Brazil (2)

Tier 4
    2.50 Steve Cotterill
    2.15 Sam Allardyce
    2.01 Jimmy Sirrel
    2.00 David Kevan (2)
    1.87 Frank Hill
    1.62 Luke Williams
    1.56 Kevin Nolan
    1.42 Tim Coleman (3)
    1.42 Andy Beattie
    1.33 Jack Wheeler
    1.30 Ricardo Moniz
    1.29 Hans Backe
    1.28 Steve Thompson
    1.26 Jack Burkitt
    1.24 Eddie Lowe
    1.18 Harry Kewell
    1.17 Ian Richardson
    1.13 Gudjon Thordarson
    1.13 Ian McParland
    1.10 Billy Gray
    1.10 Mark Cooper
    1.06 Gary Mills
    0.96 Neal Ardley
    0.92 John Sheridan
    0.83 Jamie Fullarton
    0.50 Stuart Maynard

Tier 5
    2.33 Luke Williams
    1.77 Ian Burchnall
    1.70 Neal Ardley
    I didn't realise Wilf Fisher was only 'mid-table'.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast