+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A sobering thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerish View Post
    Gordon Morritt was the first keeper I saw over the decades. So I've seen a few. Pollitt and Mountford are the best I've witnessed.Tall, dominant in the box, and no slouches when it came to reflex saves. Who are the keepers who've "got to" have been better?
    Jock Qairney, before Morritt was my favourite.

Pollitt was poor when it came to crosses, he depended heavily on Macintosh and Swailes to deal with balls into the box

Mountford similarly benefitted from good centrebacks in front of him.

Viktor is an excellent keeper and we should cash in on him before his stock drops alarmingly due to the crap he has in front of him

Anybody remember Alan Hill? He was very reliable.
    Ray Mountford was the best I've seen at the club when it came to one on one's. He very rarely got beaten when a striker was completely through on goal.

We've had some very good keepers over the years (no prizes for guessing who was my favourite...) I'd certainly say Viktor is up there and he tends to shine brightly because he has a lot to do given our porous defence.

I could see him as a Premier League keeper though he would be at the lower end of any height line-up. (I read the average height for keepers in that league is around 6' 3"; Vik is 6' 1".) What he lacks in vertical prowess he makes up for in explosive movement and positioning. He needs to present himself as more of a footballer but I think that is a lack of exposure rather than a lack of ability.

Bobby Mimms had England potential as a youngster.

Seamus

Quote Originally Posted by pip_y View Post
    Seamus
    We also had his twin brother Jim who I thought was just as good

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Pollitt was poor when it came to crosses, he depended heavily on Macintosh and Swailes to deal with balls into the box

Mountford similarly benefitted from good centrebacks in front of him.

Viktor is an excellent keeper and we should cash in on him before his stock drops alarmingly due to the crap he has in front of him
    Grist,this doesn`t happen often,but I`m agreeing with you !
    Both Pollitt and Mountford were great goalies no doubt,but Polly was poor on crosses,especially for someone who is 6" 4`,Vik is a much better keeper allround,his refelexes are second to none,he reminds me of Bruce Grobbelar,and he did ok.

Rubbish.
    Pollitt was one of our best ever Keepers

"Pollitt for England"

Recency bias is real.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast