+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil

The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil

So 1 Timothy:10 says

Whist sat suited and booted waiting to go to church I flicked through the good book and chanced upon a passage about gambling and how it should be avoided

Now I love a gamble and always have and recently been on a good streak and am probably over 600 quid up over the past few weeks but obviously I’m well down over the years,so this got me thinking,should I finish on a win because eventually over the next few months the bookies are going to get their money back so to finish now seems like a good time to call it a day and go to church guilt free

Anyone else got any vices,gambling,excessive booze,fags or s@x maybe?

Now is the time to confess to Father Chalky and you have my word it won’t go any further than this forum (unless it particularly juicy)

See you in church you sinners!

You know I drink & smoke too much….

I go to the pub straight after work every day & weekends and sink 5-6 pints in an hour & half then come home & have a few Buds…

I smoke about 30-40 a day, have a sky bet account but put lower stakes on than you as it’s for fun not profit…

My other vice is work, I never switch off and always take my work mobile away on holiday with me for e mails etc & depending where we are going, sometimes my laptop…

I get enough grief for the way I live off Mrs BDB, family & Doctors without confessing to a man of the cloth..

If I was you, I would invest the £600 notes on a break somewhere & continue your quest to see a red rodent or wild deer…

I was addicted to fruit machines as a ****ager,got paid on a Thursday and after paying my keep would be in the pub losing the rest most weeks,i used to think the more i lost the more likely it was ready to pay out,don't know how i did it but one night i thought thats it and due to sheer willpower never played them again.

Me too Pete, must be a postie thing… £1 cash or £2 jackpot then went to £1.50 or £3 in tokens… learnt the hard way… still have occasional go but stick to my limit

Quote Originally Posted by postmanpete View Post
    I was addicted to fruit machines as a ****ager,got paid on a Thursday and after paying my keep would be in the pub losing the rest most weeks,i used to think the more i lost the more likely it was ready to pay out,don't know how i did it but one night i thought thats it and due to sheer willpower never played them again.
    It’s suprising how many people start their gambling addiction by fruit machines and putting them in pubs is to much temptation for some people so you did well to walk away when you did Pete,I knew somebody who took his life due to his gambling addiction and it ripped apart his family

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdogblue View Post

have a sky bet account but put lower stakes on than you as it’s for fun not profit…

My other vice is work, I never switch off and always take my work mobile away on holiday with me for e mails etc & depending where we are going, sometimes my laptop…

The amount that you bet isn’t going to to ruin you financially as the most I’ve seen you stake is £1 so I agree that you gamble is for fun rather than profit so I wouldn’t be bothered about it if I was you,nobody should live life without a little fun and as you aren’t a churchgoer you are probably heading to hell anyway 😊

You definitely could cut down on the amount of time that you spend doing work at home,it’s not even to earn more money because I know that you are on a set wage,leave yer phone at home next week,I’ve got it on very good authority that you can buy boxes to put your phone into whist you are away,work will get you in the end and when you are having a heart attack at the ripe old age of 62 work will still carry on without you…and then you will head to hell for not going to church 😊

Father Chalky has spoken and don’t forget to give generosity to the silver tray

Silver tray???

Is it an Irish place you go to..

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdogblue View Post
    Silver tray???

Is it an Irish place you go to..
    The collection tray has always been silver at our church and the same one for as long as I can remember

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)