+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Team selection - Formation

Team selection - Formation

Be interested to see what other people's thoughts are regarding Team selection/formation

Think we look best when we play with a back 3.

With the players that we now have available, I think that 3-5-2 (aka 5-3-2) suits us better

Having Zac and Tabs back from injury makes this more achievable

Like seeing CBR and Nev up front together, they keep the opposition defence busy ...
    ... and are useful when defending set-pieces

What d'ya reckon ?

Zac seems as though he cannot keep out of the Ref's book..

I would like us to play with THREE strikers to set a standard for others and give us a chance of promotion. A single striker equals more defeats IMV and having three upfront means that we should create more chances on goal and keep the opposotion's defence more busy. Having just one striker is stupid as the chances are so few and you then rely on the midfield to create the chances and to pass the ball forward but if they are defensive midfielders then no chance. I would like to have 5 forwards back again as that was how the game started and developed until some silly coach started the game with 11 defensive players with the intention of winning via a breakaway. I wonder if they ever went to school as they seem incoherent idiots when you hear what they say...OK I didn't mean the last sentence but to get football crowds back we need a revolution in the bottom leagues. Football was always about how many goals you can score more than the opposition, not to have no chances on goal like most games we have nowadays.

Mind you are there any Strikers left in the game these days as academies are full of defensive players..If we don't get promoted, we could be playing Vale next season...
    Last edited by MikeSB; 10-03-2024 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frogpole View Post
    Be interested to see what other people's thoughts are regarding Team selection/formation

Think we look best when we play with a back 3.

With the players that we now have available, I think that 3-5-2 (aka 5-3-2) suits us better

Having Zac and Tabs back from injury makes this more achievable

Like seeing CBR and Nev up front together, they keep the opposition defence busy ...
    ... and are useful when defending set-pieces

What d'ya reckon ?
    I agree about the 3 at the back but who would the 3rd CB be? Zac?
    So Billington and Rio WBs.
    Thomas, Tabs and Holicek in mid.
    CBR and Nev up front.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    I agree about the 3 at the back but who would the 3rd CB be? Zac?
    So Billington and Rio WBs.
    Thomas, Tabs and Holicek in mid.
    CBR and Nev up front.
    No Shilow?

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    No Shilow?
    No, but considering I like wing play, that is strange on reflection.
    I think I was following on from an earlier post where I was concerned about 'going around' defences and wanted the Alex to 'football' their way through them as well. In thinking that I chose a DM (Thomas) a playmaker (Tabs) and a scrapper ( but talented on the ball) (Holicek). I was also thinking that WBs could supply some width. Plus Tracey has not impressed me since about October and I believe he has lost his self-belief.
    However, we do need options of both around and through. Intriguing!

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    No, but considering I like wing play, that is strange on reflection.
    I think I was following on from an earlier post where I was concerned about 'going around' defences and wanted the Alex to 'football' their way through them as well. In thinking that I chose a DM (Thomas) a playmaker (Tabs) and a scrapper ( but talented on the ball) (Holicek). I was also thinking that WBs could supply some width. Plus Tracey has not impressed me since about October and I believe he has lost his self-belief.
    However, we do need options of both around and through. Intriguing!
    For me, if fit, Tracey is selected every time. He generally ties up 2 or 3 defenders and has genuine pace.

Football fans !! I’m a Wrexham fan and loads of ‘em on “ Red Passion “ continually moan about Parky being “ too stubborn “ with his 3-5-2 . You pays your money , you take your choice I guess !