+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: March 2nd 1974 Football League Cup

March 2nd 1974 Football League Cup

At the Fulham game on Saturday, Wolves celebrated their 2-1 win over a star studded Manchester City Team at Wembley 50years ago. Several old Wolves player including Geoff Palmer, Gary Pierce, Derek Parkin, Kenny Hibbert, and John McAlle were celebrated on the pitch at half time.

Goals from Kenny Hibbett and a late goal from John Richards cemented victory after Colin Bell had equalised. The City team that day included Mike Summerbee, Colin Bell, Francis Lee, Denis Law and Rodney Marsh. Ron Saunders was their Manager.

The Wolves team that day was Gary Pierce, Geoff Palmer, Derek Parkin, Mike Bailey, Frank Munro, John McAlle, Kenny Hibbett, Alan Sunderland, John Richards, the mercurial Derek Dougan. and Dave Wagstaffe. Bill McGarry was our Manager.

An interesting footnote to this game, included in the City side that day were Glyn Pardoe and Mike Doyle. The are the Grandfathers of our Tommy Doyle.

Also seen at the game on Saturday was Robert Plant.

The 1974 final was from before my time, my first game was the following season. Interesting that Tommy Doyle is the grandson of two former pro footballers, let alone that they both figured in that final. Robert Plant attends most home games when my season ticket was in J2 I used to see him regularly.

I was at the game, it seems incredible where the fifty years has gone.

It was the 44th anniversary of the 1980 final this week… I was there and remember it clearly, like you say the time just flashes by.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)