+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A question of confidence

A question of confidence

I think that’s our main problem. The root cause was the injury crisis then a less than fortunate set of draws in all the cup competitions. I think confidence has been lost among the players and that is the difference between winning and losing.
    The best we can do is forget this season (and I don’t say that lightly), wipe the slate clean and look forward to next.

Aye, that's a fair point, TT.

Games are often won or lost on small margins and lack of confidence definitely tips the balance in the other team's favour. You can see it in our missing press because we've been caught out with too big a gap between midfield and defence and particularly in the way Longstaff has played. His instinct is to pass sideways or back and his runs are ponderous and his decision-making is muddled. we know he's capable of much better and I've thought for a while that his confidence looks shot.

I'm canny sick of this season-we just can't seem to get a break-look at our injury list and our cup draws. Similar to you, TT, I'm of a 'sack it off and start over next season' mindset.

Aye - pretty much everything that could go wrong in the luck stakes has done.

Hopefully next season, after a summer of rest and Big Joe/Pope back will make a massive difference.

Gordon Isak Murphy

Joelinton Bruno Tonali

Livramento Botman Schar Trippier

Pope

Bring it on!!!

Get rid of Murphy for next season, mind.

Effort, hilarity, memes, smiles in abundance,

Quality on the ball? Not so much.

Some of our players just arent that good to be fair..

You just have to ask yourself how many of the following players get in any of the so called 'big 6' sides;

Longstaff
    Lascelles
    Willock
    Almiron
    Murphy
    Wilson
    Dubravka
    Pope
    Barnes

I'm not saying they are terrible players, I'm just highlighting a need for better ones

Quote Originally Posted by Tutfoster1892 View Post
    Some of our players just arent that good to be fair..

You just have to ask yourself how many of the following players get in any of the so called 'big 6' sides;

Longstaff
    Lascelles
    Willock
    Almiron
    Murphy
    Wilson
    Dubravka
    Pope
    Barnes

I'm not saying they are terrible players, I'm just highlighting a need for better ones
    Wilson, I agree, but only because of age/injury record. I’m happy with Willock, Pope and Barnes for now and Dubs is good enough for a second keeper.
    If we could upgrade Longstaff, Lascelles snd Almiron/Murphy next window then I’ll be well happy. (Minteh is not the answer for the latter yet and I hope the club isn’t waiting for him to be ready).

…and a replacement for Wilson.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)