+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dave does catch up...

Dave does catch up...

I had taken a wee rest from the stress of a relegation dogfight with my beloved Clarets and headed off to the splendid city of Madrid for a week’s sabbatical from football.

The plan failed because I was immediately captivated by the history of Real Madrid and fortunately managed a visit to the quite magnificent football amphitheatre known as the Santiago Bernabeu Football Stadium.

All I can add for any football fan from anywhere across the globe is if you ever get the opportunity to attend a live game there – take it. It really is quite spectacularly glorious. 14 times they have been crowned Champions League Cup winners; I doubt if that can ever be bettered.

While I was being seduced by the men in white Dave Thornley was giving his time to produce a couple of articles which brings my football world crashing back to a dreadful reality.

Dave muses: It is strange isn’t it how Burnley’s last three drawn games have stirred such a wide range of emotions.

Anger after Luton’s outrageous late equaliser was allowed to stand; thrilled and encouraged by the overturning of a two-goal deficit against Fulham; and now disappointment after it was Burnley’s two goal lead which was erased by West Ham at the London Stadium (come up with a better name West Ham, please) on Sunday afternoon.

The disappointment was enhanced by the fact that it was Clarets old boy Danny Ings who came off the bench to inflict the wound of the stoppage time equaliser, this moments after VAR had ruled an earlier effort to be offside and moments before his shot struck the bar.

Since he left Burnley, Ings seems to have made it his personal mission to disrupt his former club. Whether in the colours of Southampton, Aston Villa or now West Ham he always finds a goal or two to compound our misery.

This should not however divert attention from what was otherwise a decent display from Burnley who swept into a 2-0 half time lead through David Datro Fofana’s superb long-range effort and an own goal just before half time.

It was just after half time though that the pattern of the game began to turn when Lucas Paqueta pulled a goal back after the recurring nightmare of squandered possession once again manifested itself.

Burnley then mounted a Dyche-style rear-guard which was almost successful until Ings’ late intervention.
    The point did at least lift the Clarets of the bottom of the table, an unwelcome position which they had occupied overnight since Sheffield United also allowed a two-goal lead to slip against Bournemouth the previous afternoon and, like Burnley, had to settle for a point.

Interestingly, in his post-match interview, Blades boss Chris Wilder pointed to the heavy physical demands that playing in the Premier League has placed on his players and the resulting fatigue, both physical and mental, which contributed to their concession of a late equaliser.

It was a pattern mirrored by Burnley the following afternoon and leads one to question whether the players of both clubs are indeed fit enough to withstand the rigours of a Premier League season. A glance at the league table would suggest that they are not.
    The Clarets and the Blades both enjoyed the euphoria of automatic promotion from Championship last season.

Both teams are now simultaneously suffering what Dave calls, “The Five Stages of Relegation”.

He wrote this opinion before our visit to the London Stadium.
    First stage, Patience and Understanding: it’s a tough league and we’ve had a difficult start, give it time, we’ll get it sorted.

Second stage, Disappointment: things aren’t really improving as quickly as we would like, but there are some signs that we’re playing a bit better and there are some winnable fixtures ahead, so hopefully we’ll turn the corner.

Third stage: Frustration boiling over into Anger: the winnable fixtures were all lost, and the team is worse than ever. Tactics, team selections, the players, the manager, and the ownership all come in for heavy criticism, as do referees and VAR officials. The club circles the wagons and communicates sparingly and tersely with the media which leads to a disconnect with the fans and only makes matters worse.

Fourth stage: Embarrassment, a points tally standing at thir**** after 27 games, only one win and an unprecedented 11 losses at Turf Moor, the latest a limp defeat at the hands of a frankly poor Bournemouth team. Then there are the taunts and snide comments to endure from fans of other teams.

Fifth and Final stage: Acceptance, we’re done for, there’s nothing else for it, see you both back in the Championship.

Even a win on Saturday against Brentford will do little to stop that sinking feeling. I hope Alan Pace and Vincent Kompany can reproduce the miracle of the 2022/23 season, let’s hope so. (TEC).

Name:  Real Stadium.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  84.5 KB

He forgot the Epilogue, Always look on the bright side of life ........

Quote Originally Posted by kritichris View Post
    He forgot the Epilogue, Always look on the bright side of life ........
    After 8 days in Madrid and a visit to the Bernabeu, my batteries are fully restored k_c.

I'm even predicting a 2-1 win!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I had taken a wee rest from the stress of a relegation dogfight with my beloved Clarets and headed off to the splendid city of Madrid for a week’s sabbatical from football.

The plan failed because I was immediately captivated by the history of Real Madrid and fortunately managed a visit to the quite magnificent football amphitheatre known as the Santiago Bernabeu Football Stadium.

All I can add for any football fan from anywhere across the globe is if you ever get the opportunity to attend a live game there – take it. It really is quite spectacularly glorious. 14 times they have been crowned Champions League Cup winners; I doubt if that can ever be bettered.

While I was being seduced by the men in white Dave Thornley was giving his time to produce a couple of articles which brings my football world crashing back to a dreadful reality.

Dave muses: It is strange isn’t it how Burnley’s last three drawn games have stirred such a wide range of emotions.

Anger after Luton’s outrageous late equaliser was allowed to stand; thrilled and encouraged by the overturning of a two-goal deficit against Fulham; and now disappointment after it was Burnley’s two goal lead which was erased by West Ham at the London Stadium (come up with a better name West Ham, please) on Sunday afternoon.

The disappointment was enhanced by the fact that it was Clarets old boy Danny Ings who came off the bench to inflict the wound of the stoppage time equaliser, this moments after VAR had ruled an earlier effort to be offside and moments before his shot struck the bar.

Since he left Burnley, Ings seems to have made it his personal mission to disrupt his former club. Whether in the colours of Southampton, Aston Villa or now West Ham he always finds a goal or two to compound our misery.

This should not however divert attention from what was otherwise a decent display from Burnley who swept into a 2-0 half time lead through David Datro Fofana’s superb long-range effort and an own goal just before half time.

It was just after half time though that the pattern of the game began to turn when Lucas Paqueta pulled a goal back after the recurring nightmare of squandered possession once again manifested itself.

Burnley then mounted a Dyche-style rear-guard which was almost successful until Ings’ late intervention.
    The point did at least lift the Clarets of the bottom of the table, an unwelcome position which they had occupied overnight since Sheffield United also allowed a two-goal lead to slip against Bournemouth the previous afternoon and, like Burnley, had to settle for a point.

Interestingly, in his post-match interview, Blades boss Chris Wilder pointed to the heavy physical demands that playing in the Premier League has placed on his players and the resulting fatigue, both physical and mental, which contributed to their concession of a late equaliser.

It was a pattern mirrored by Burnley the following afternoon and leads one to question whether the players of both clubs are indeed fit enough to withstand the rigours of a Premier League season. A glance at the league table would suggest that they are not.
    The Clarets and the Blades both enjoyed the euphoria of automatic promotion from Championship last season.

Both teams are now simultaneously suffering what Dave calls, “The Five Stages of Relegation”.

He wrote this opinion before our visit to the London Stadium.
    First stage, Patience and Understanding: it’s a tough league and we’ve had a difficult start, give it time, we’ll get it sorted.

Second stage, Disappointment: things aren’t really improving as quickly as we would like, but there are some signs that we’re playing a bit better and there are some winnable fixtures ahead, so hopefully we’ll turn the corner.

Third stage: Frustration boiling over into Anger: the winnable fixtures were all lost, and the team is worse than ever. Tactics, team selections, the players, the manager, and the ownership all come in for heavy criticism, as do referees and VAR officials. The club circles the wagons and communicates sparingly and tersely with the media which leads to a disconnect with the fans and only makes matters worse.

Fourth stage: Embarrassment, a points tally standing at thir**** after 27 games, only one win and an unprecedented 11 losses at Turf Moor, the latest a limp defeat at the hands of a frankly poor Bournemouth team. Then there are the taunts and snide comments to endure from fans of other teams.

Fifth and Final stage: Acceptance, we’re done for, there’s nothing else for it, see you both back in the Championship.

Even a win on Saturday against Brentford will do little to stop that sinking feeling. I hope Alan Pace and Vincent Kompany can reproduce the miracle of the 2022/23 season, let’s hope so. (TEC).

Name:  Real Stadium.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  84.5 KB

It’s good Bt my only view would be the fitness comments - as in truth ( and you’ve payed ) that it’s a hard game when you don’t have the ball and give it away cheaply - players do / will tire if you can keep it and look after it better the fatigue will lie with the opposition- however you have to score goals to win games - simples!.

After 8 days in Madrid and a visit to the Bernabeu, my batteries are fully restored k_c.

I'm even predicting a 2-1 win!
    RM fans have a great song at the end of a home game, do you know what it is called? My suggestion for a Burnley song would be a couple of verses from "Dirty old town" by Ewan Macoll. "Kissed my girl by the factory wall", Smelled the Spring on the smokey wind" among other great lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Tap in MN View Post
    RM fans have a great song at the end of a home game, do you know what it is called? My suggestion for a Burnley song would be a couple of verses from "Dirty old town" by Ewan Macoll. "Kissed my girl by the factory wall", Smelled the Spring on the smokey wind" among other great lines.
    We could have a thread all of its own on this topic Tap.

I'd start with, "When The Walls Come Crashing Down".

We could have a thread all of its own on this topic Tap.

I'd start with, "When The Walls Come Crashing Down".
    Phil Collins - I missed again

Quote Originally Posted by Tap in MN View Post
    Tap. Is the RM song you are referring to “Hala Madrid y nada mas”? We could certainly do with a new anthem in time for our (hopefully successful) Championship season of 2024/25. But we are not Real Madrid and certainly not Barcelona!

This had better be us on Saturday...

ATTACH=CONFIG]25859[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We could go back to Chumbawumba's Tubthumping

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)