+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Romared Match Thoughts: Barnsley-v-Cheltenham

Romared Match Thoughts: Barnsley-v-Cheltenham

The first of the final four home games of the season, all of which are winnable on paper--

Barnsley-v-Cheltenham ( currently 21st )

Barnsley-v-Cambridge ( currently 20th )

Barnsley-v-Reading ( currently 18th )

Barnsley-v-Northampton ( currently 12th )

No excuses, four wins please Neill, Martin and Jon.

Cheltenham had a good run which looked to be saving them but they have drawn 2 and lost 3 of their last five games and have dropped back into the relegation zone. They are in poor form and ready for the taking by a rampant Reds team. Cheltenham, Cambridge and Reading will be feyting for survival but we must win that physical battle and let our superior quality win the day,

Go Well, Men of Grove Street.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 15-03-2024 at 08:02 AM.

Personally I tend to throw the form book out of the window at this time of the season. Those in peril such as Cheltenham, or ones looking over their shoulders with arses twitching such as Cambridge, Reading and Burton (all of who we still have to play) are more difficult fixtures imo than the ones in mid table such as Charlton or Northampton who's players may well be planning their summer holidays. Owt can happen.

The squad was utilised in terms of team selection against Carlisle with Cole being left out for Cosgrove, Russell coming into the 'Luca' deep midfield position with Connell replacing the suspended Herbie in a more attacking midfield role. Williams went back into the defensive trio for the injured Pines or dropped McCart.

I thought both Russell and Cosgrove staked a claim to remain in the starting XI with their performances at Carlisle. I was impressed with Cosgroves movement, touch and physical presence. I think this lad could be a really good player given a consistent run of games. I'd start him again against Cheltenham personally. Cosgrove is currently playing better than Cole imo.

Russell is an intelligent footballer and does the holding midfield role very well when he puts his mind to it. However, Luca is the better player of the two and will always start ahead of Russell when fit.

Cheltenham arrive in desperate need of a result. Their away record is very poor but as I say, ignore the form book in these types of fixtures. I'm hoping we edge it 1-0.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Personally I tend to throw the form book out of the window at this time of the season. Those in peril such as Cheltenham, or ones looking over their shoulders with arses twitching such as Cambridge, Reading and Burton (all of who we still have to play) are more difficult fixtures imo than the ones in mid table such as Charlton or Northampton who's players may well be planning their summer holidays. Owt can happen.

The squad was utilised in terms of team selection against Carlisle with Cole being left out for Cosgrove, Russell coming into the 'Luca' deep midfield position with Connell replacing the suspended Herbie in a more attacking midfield role. Williams went back into the defensive trio for the injured Pines or dropped McCart.

I thought both Russell and Cosgrove staked a claim to remain in the starting XI with their performances at Carlisle. I was impressed with Cosgroves movement, touch and physical presence. I think this lad could be a really good player given a consistent run of games. I'd start him again against Cheltenham personally. Cosgrove is currently playing better than Cole imo.

Russell is an intelligent footballer and does the holding midfield role very well when he puts his mind to it. However, Luca is the better player of the two and will always start ahead of Russell when fit.

Cheltenham arrive in desperate need of a result. Their away record is very poor but as I say, ignore the form book in these types of fixtures. I'm hoping we edge it 1-0.
    Excellent summing up Pass, my thoughts exactly & apart from Port Vale we have not really had a convincing home performance all season , hopefully we have enough in the tank to take the points but I do not think it will be as easy as some think , as you say we are now entering the business end of the season & any result should not come as a surprise .

All about the results now as Shad has pointed out , I honestly don't know how things will pan out this season , a very strange and weird season so far as I can remember .

Given their low scoring nature before our game, I was hoping the Lincoln game would be a much needed clean sheet. That went well…

Without putting the kiss of death on it again, I’m hoping this will be a clean sheet for us. I suppose it doesn’t really matter, as long as we win but I’d like to know we can still get them. A nice and comfortable home win on Saturday would be nice.

Cosgrove deserves his start. In my opinion it would be the same team as at Carlisle for me but hopefully with Roberts in goal.

It's a tough old April (on paper) now the Portsmouth game has been moved--

Burton A
    Charlton A
    Stevenage A
    Reading H
    Portsmouth A
    Blackpool A

Hopefully our record away form continues but need six points from Cheltenham and Cambridge as a cushion against any blip.

Good summing up P&M, the only change I would make however is to start Benson in place of Russell, he was on the Bench at Carlisle, he needs to get his match fitness back and I don't like Russell, for a big man he can't get more than 2 inch off the ground and is slower than a tortoise pulling a camper van!
    When Benson starts to flag replace him with Grant.
    Cole should be rested a bit now and I'm hoping he gets his scoring boots back on? Cosgrove should start after a M.O.M performance at Carlisle and give McAtee a rest.
    I don't know how Cundy has been getting on after he played for the U21's but having him available would be massive for the run in.

Name:  IMG_8792.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  15.2 KB

Barnsley: Roberts (GK), O'Keeffe, de Gevigney, McCart, Earl, Cadden, Connell, Russell, Phillips, McAtee, Cosgrove.

Subs: Killip (GK), Cotter, Williams, Grant, J.Benson, Marsh, Cole.

Cheltenham: Southwood (GK), Long (c), Smith, Freestone, Kinsella, Keena, Ferry, Lloyd, Sloggett, Davies, Pett.

Subs: Pardington (GK), Sercombe, Bonds, Nuttall, Harrop, Thomas, Bradbury.

Williams dropped or rested.

Williams has got to be injured I reckon but we may get away with that defence with all due respect to Cheltenham .

Then again we may not .

No shooting boots this afternoon unfortunately .

Surely we will take an opportunity second half .

Won't we ???

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast