+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Romared Match Thoughts: Barnsley-v-Cheltenham

Orient (H)
    Carlisle (A)
    Reading (A)
    Wigan (H)
    Oxford (A)
    Cheltenham (A)
    Portsmouth (H)

I wish this was our run in on the back of 14 games unbeaten! I can see Lincoln waltzing into the play off’s in the form they are in and the confidence they clearly have.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    Travelled back from Devon for this one. Have to say, like others that Cheltenham worked very hard for their point.
    I think that we will hit the play offs, and fail in the semis, as we havent got a killer instinct in us. Its just not there. Ive read some absolute boll Ox on twitter as regards “lets take the positives”…. Posted by idiots… but to be frank, we cant kill a game.
    Just did it against Derby, …Just.
    Couldn’t kill it off at 2-0 agen Bolton, hung on against Carlisle….and just huffed and puffed today. Not fustrating, just delivering at home what we have all season.
    Mediocrity.

As for JAQ……….” shut ya mouth lady”. You think this is our first rodeo love? Get used to it if your here for the long term……. You cant paint the sistine chapel,with a yard brush……
    Well Jules you had better tell me to " shut my mouth " as well because I am also baffled as to why fans boo their team they are supposed to support , it was a frustrating performance & as the match went on it was clear that we had run out of ideas & are simply were not good enough on the day to take the points , I believe we had a good goal wrongly chalked off & had enough chances to win the match comfortably but we didn"t & the longer it went we struggled and ultimately failed but I do not get the booing at all , they tried the whole match and thats all I ever ask for , the old saying that you cannot make a silk purse etc comes to mind , we are an average third division side & if fans expect us to win every time we turn out then they are going to be disappointed , it aint going to happen.

The first 0-0 draw of the season and only the third league game we have failed to score (Derby 0-3, Blackpool 0-1 ).

It reads like a free scoring team royally entertaining fans but the truth is, at Oakwell, most games have been tame affairs and a tad uninspiring. Fans may also have been expecting a reaction to the Lincoln game against a club in the relegation zone.

I think the realisation that thoughts of automatic promotion may have finally been killed off with ours and Derby's and Portsmouth results and the frustration of not scoring led to a tipping point for a few and led to others joining in.

I have never thought it wise for a football club owner to have an X/Twitter Account at any time and, in particular, to comment on fans immediately following a frustrating and disappointing game. X is home to individuals for whom personal abuse is the normal way to react on line.

Only Northampton-v-Derby and Carlisle-v-Stevenage affecting the top six next Saturday with most Third Division teams bristling with international players. Derby could go 10 pts clear of us in second spot. Booooo
    Last edited by SBRed48; 17-03-2024 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    The first 0-0 draw of the season and only the third league game we have failed to score (Derby 0-3, Blackpool 0-1 ).

It reads like a free scoring team royally entertaining fans but the truth is, at Oakwell, most games have been tame affairs and a tad uninspiring. Fans may also have been expecting a reaction to the Lincoln game against a club in the relegation zone.

I think the realisation that thoughts of automatic promotion may have finally been killed off with ours and Derby's and Portsmouth results and the frustration of not scoring led to a tipping point for a few and led to others joining in.

I have never thought it wise for a football club owner to have an X/Twitter Account at any time and, in particular, to comment on fans immediately following a frustrating and disappointing game. X is home to individuals for whom personal abuse is the normal way to react on line.

Only Northampton-v-Derby and Carlisle-v-Stevenage affecting the top six next Saturday with most Third Division teams bristling with international players. Derby could go 10 pts clear of us in second spot. Booooo
    I've always looked at booing as a sign that fans care and it's an emotional sport after all , it's definitely a knee jerk reaction but none the less it is what it is .

Attacking fans on social media following a disappointing result and performance isn't particularly wise .

If you can't stand the heat lady , get out of the kitchen .

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Just like her, the supporters who booed are also entitled to their opinion.

Personally I don't like booing in those circumstances. I didn't see the game yesterday but it looked like from the highlights and vlogs to be one of those days where we just couldn't hit the net, certainly not through the want of trying anyway. Frustrating.

What I look at is where the team currently finds itself. I didn't expect this many points and thought the play offs were an outside shot at the beginning of the campaign, especially with the situationin our defence.

Bigger picture mentality doesn't exist in football anymore. One week it's talk of automatic promotion, then after a bad loss its doubtful whether we'll make the play offs. I remember you calling out Collins after 3 or 4 games(Peterborough at home) saying that he was out of his depth and the club was too big for him. Now with all due respect, it kind of proves my point.

I think it was an unfair criticism after such a short space of time in the job, especially with the hand Collins was dealt by the board. I too had my doubts about Collins with his lack of experience. I was disgusted to see JAQ and Parekh sit alongside Collins at the fans forum earlier in the season and hear them say 'when we're in the Championship next season'. Perhaps it could be argued that it was said tongue in cheek I don’t think so. It just fuels the fire saying things like that. With the mentality of some supporters, it brings a reaction like at the final whistle.
    Well the bigger picture in football went some time ago but that's not necessarily the fans fault .

Players and Managers don't stick around anymore , the game itself is responsible for the most part for driving this culture .

We also live in a instant world today , people demand things now in most walks of life .

As for the players well they earn very good money even at league two level compared to the fans , they eat the best food and are pampered beyond what's probably good for them with loyalty to anyone other than themselves a foreign language .

That's the football world they themselves have helped create .

Alternatively if they can't take criticism perhaps they'd like to get up with me tomorrow at 5.50 AM and put 45 hours a week in proper grafting .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Well the bigger picture in football went some time ago but that's not necessarily the fans fault .

Players and Managers don't stick around anymore , the game itself is responsible for the most part for driving this culture .

We also live in a instant world today , people demand things now in most walks of life .

As for the players well they earn very good money even at league two level compared to the fans , they eat the best food and are pampered beyond what's probably good for them with loyalty to anyone other than themselves a foreign language .

That's the football world they themselves have helped create .

Alternatively if they can't take criticism perhaps they'd like to get up with me tomorrow at 5.50 AM and put 45 hours a week in proper grafting .

They are human beings though. Show me an industry or occupation where the average person doesn't operate exactly the same as the footballers that you're talking about. Most people show no loyalty. Society has changed and along with it has football.

I think back to Danny Wilson leaving for them up the road in 1998. There were Barnsley fans coming on the radio/letters in the Chronicle saying they wanted a season ticket refund because they bought it on the strength of Wilson saying he was staying. That's pathetic behaviour in my view, especially with what that man did for this club. It works both ways is what I'm trying to say. I'm all for constructive criticism but it has to remain constructive.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    They are human beings though. Show me an industry or occupation where the average person doesn't operate exactly the same as the footballers that you're talking about. Most people show no loyalty. Society has changed and along with it has football.

I think back to Danny Wilson leaving for them up the road in 1998. There were Barnsley fans coming on the radio/letters in the Chronicle saying they wanted a season ticket refund because they bought it on the strength of Wilson saying he was staying. That's pathetic behaviour in my view, especially with what that man did for this club. It works both ways is what I'm trying to say. I'm all for constructive criticism but it has to remain constructive.
    Different things going on Pass in football with all due respect mate .

The fans only get to have one club , for many it makes or breaks their working week and this season has been hard work especially at Oakwell despite the league table .

Collins has done well with the tools he's had and done what HC's must do and that's get positive results .

One thing I do know is that folk like JAQ who have only been here two minutes are on a hiding to nothing criticising Barnsley folk .

Different things going on Pass in football with all due respect mate .

The fans only get to have one club , for many it makes or breaks their working week and this season has been hard work especially at Oakwell despite the league table .

Collins has done well with the tools he's had and done what HC's must do and that's get positive results .

One thing I do know is that folk like JAQ who have only been here two minutes are on a hiding to nothing criticising Barnsley folk .
    I do not actually having a go at Barnsley folk more the concept of booing the team , I personally would never boo our players because I believe that is for one childish & more to the point counter productive but my main gripe is that it is hypocritical , the same fans who are booing would have been singing about Collins red and white army , and the greatest team the world as ever seen etc etc if you get my drift only days earlier , I understand that it is usually born out of frustration but frankly I find grown men booing pathetic , if watching your team is conditional that they have to be on top of their game and win every match then football is the wrong sport to follow . I have been critical of our owners & the squad they have assembled & my opinion of them has not changed but I do not blame the players or the manager for that , its not their fault they are not good enough & i believe they go to work & try their best but sometimes it is not good enough .

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrack the Red View Post
    I do not actually having a go at Barnsley folk more the concept of booing the team , I personally would never boo our players because I believe that is for one childish & more to the point counter productive but my main gripe is that it is hypocritical , the same fans who are booing would have been singing about Collins red and white army , and the greatest team the world as ever seen etc etc if you get my drift only days earlier , I understand that it is usually born out of frustration but frankly I find grown men booing pathetic , if watching your team is conditional that they have to be on top of their game and win every match then football is the wrong sport to follow . I have been critical of our owners & the squad they have assembled & my opinion of them has not changed but I do not blame the players or the manager for that , its not their fault they are not good enough & i believe they go to work & try their best but sometimes it is not good enough .
    I don't think it's that simple Shad with all due respect , I draw the line criticising young players who are trying to find their way in the game , that's something I'd never do .

When you say grown men booing pathetic that is just the way the game takes folk and reduces us to adolescents at times , I was jumping up and down in the front room with my Man Utd supporting wife just yesterday when United scored that fourth goal , that's not entirely the behaviour you'd associate with a man of 62 and his wife of 52 , even more bizarre given I don't support United but was pleased for her to finally have something to hang her hat on , it's been a while !! .

Every football fan out there is a huge hypocrite , it just goes with the beast that is football .

I just think trying to understand it is perhaps fruitless and probably neither you , me or Pass are right and none of us are wrong either .

It's just football , it's bloody complicated .

I don't think it's that simple Shad with all due respect , I draw the line criticising young players who are trying to find their way in the game , that's something I'd never do .

When you say grown men booing pathetic that is just the way the game takes folk and reduces us to adolescents at times , I was jumping up and down in the front room with my Man Utd supporting wife just yesterday when United scored that fourth goal , that's not entirely the behaviour you'd associate with a man of 62 and his wife of 52 , even more bizarre given I don't support United but was pleased for her to finally have something to hang her hat on , it's been a while !! .

Every football fan out there is a huge hypocrite , it just goes with the beast that is football .

I just think trying to understand it is perhaps fruitless and probably neither you , me or Pass are right and none of us are wrong either .

It's just football , it's bloody complicated .

That's a fair comment Animal. Personally speaking, I've just matured (speaking in football terms) into perhaps something that I don't particularly like. The game seldom gets me out of my seat these days and when it does, its normally alcohol induced but still feels laboured if you know what I mean. I feel the excitement sometimes but tend to go through the motions. I literally live 5 mins walk from Oakwell but I never really feel the urge to get off my arse and go. It's kind of strange when I think about it. 20 years ago I'd seldom miss a game. Even when we were treading water in league one under Steve Parkin and Glynn Hodges and going thru administration. As crap a season as that was, I'd be excited about going to games. Feeling the 'judder' as my Dad used to say when in sight of the ground.

These days I find myself taking a more philosophical point of view towards our games. The Hecky Wembley season and the Championship season that followed was the last time I felt the 'judder' when going to Oakwell. That was until that infamous January fire sale when a potentially brilliant Barnsley team was dismantled as we lost our best players. Since then, it's been quite subdued from my point of view with the exception of the Val season which was a complete freak and I have to say that during the lockdown, I was completely absorbed in it, perhaps because we were in an unprecedented situation socially and the superhuman effort those players were putting in.

The Bolton game at Oakwell a couple of weeks ago was a classic example of how I've changed in terms of being a football fan. It was a massive game for us and at 2 nil up it was looking rosy. However, as the game drew on, I thought to myself that if Bolton equalise, then they deserve it and it wouldn't be life or death to me as it would've been 20 years prior to that where I would've been absolutely seething and inconsolable.

Strange innit

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast