+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's over

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

It's over

The "rivalry" with Wrexham, I think it's over and maybe it might be looked back at as a one season wonder.

However, it does currently give a good benchmark for the progress both clubs have made since returning to the football league.

Wrexham are currently 20 points ahead of Notts County and have only lost 8 games compared to Notts County's 17.

Just wondered, what have Wrexham done better?

Quote Originally Posted by ThaiPie View Post

Just wondered, what have Wrexham done better?
    Bought more players than us from Lg1 / Championship last year and did it again this year?

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Bought more players than us from Lg1 / Championship last year and did it again this year?
    That's the top and bottom of it.

I've not really thought about Wrexham this season, certainly not in terms of any rivalry with them. They're just another team.

I remember the time when people on here were saying they much preferred having our owners to McReynolds.
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I remember the time when people on here were saying they much preferred having our owners to McReynolds.
    Lol
    I still do. Best of luck to Wrexham mind. You take it when you get that and you have been in NL for 15 years or whatever it was. Our owners are fantastic compared to the previous several lot. Yes the recruitment not great. I am sure it will be sorted out. I wasn't so sure under Trew or Hardy god knows about Munto and definitely not the Trust! Should i continue?

Other than the battle for the only automatic promotion place from the NL, Wrexham have never been and never will be a rival to Notts.
    They have a massive budget, great PR, players from levels above L2.
    I will be interested to see how they fare against the bigger teams in L1. Pompey and Derby should be gone but that could still leave the likes of Blackpool, Wigan, Charlton, Barnsley.
    With their financial backing however, I would still expect Wrexham to be in the playoff mix.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    I still do. Best of luck to Wrexham mind. You take it when you get that and you have been in NL for 15 years or whatever it was. Our owners are fantastic compared to the previous several lot. Yes the recruitment not great. I am sure it will be sorted out. I wasn't so sure under Trew or Hardy god knows about Munto and definitely not the Trust! Should i continue?
    Really can't work out why. Our owners haven't just transformed the club they've brought whole town back to life and what they've done and continue to do goes way beyond football. Surely you would gauge who has the better owners like you would a manager . i.e. on success?

For all you know your owners might have just dropped lucky on Luke Williams and signing Langstaff? Time will tell, as it will with ours and their pledges. Have your owners set out a plan and told Notts fans what their goals are etc?

Quote Originally Posted by BenFostersGloves View Post
    Really can't work out why. Our owners haven't just transformed the club they've brought whole town back to life and what they've done and continue to do goes way beyond football. Surely you would gauge who has the better owners like you would a manager . i.e. on success?

For all you know your owners might have just dropped lucky on Luke Williams and signing Langstaff? Time will tell, as it will with ours and their pledges. Have your owners set out a plan and told Notts fans what their goals are etc?
    If you look at the history of Notts and I am sure you had plenty of this as well over the years we've had plenty of plans. they mean nothing. What means something is actual intent beyond a plan and also sticking to it. We've had managers hired on the basis of a powerpoint presentation. Not now. I think we did drop a bit lucky with Luke Williams. Despite the hype Langstaff is not my type of player. He certainly worked for Williams. He is a waste of space for Maynard. I know we are not going to get a Hollywood star coming through the door with megabucks and I am comfortable with the current owners and the rate of progress. Obviously I am unhappy with our poor turn of form. If your owners have done that then fantastic but I am a reasonable guy and I am happy to take ahead of the game over massively ahead! Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by BenFostersGloves View Post

The goal is steady improvement year on year. That's pretty much it.

We've had owners in the past come out with impressive 'five-year plans' to get to the Championship and then blow up and panic when it doesn't happen. So the aim is to be better equipped each season for success, both on and off the pitch. It works for me, and we don't really need famous people to come in and 'bring Nottingham back to life.' Anyone who tried would be laughed out of town, or perhaps chased.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    The goal is steady improvement year on year. That's pretty much it.
    Well, if that was the goal this year, it has been missed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast