+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Penalties.

Penalties.

I was always a crap penalty taker. Fear and pressure does funny things to the mind, the keeper suddenly grew to the size of He-man, the goals shrivelled up to the size of five- a- side nets- and the distance between penalty spot and goal used to stretch out to the size of a runway.

What was your technique? Were you any good? Did you wait for the keeper to move? Did you have a run up.?

Any other thoughts on penalties?

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post
    I was always a crap penalty taker. Fear and pressure does funny things to the mind, the keeper suddenly grew to the size of He-man, the goals shrivelled up to the size of five- a- side nets- and the distance between penalty spot and goal used to stretch out to the size of a runway.

What was your technique? Were you any good? Did you wait for the keeper to move? Did you have a run up.?

Any other thoughts on penalties?
    I used to smile at the keeper and blast the feck out of the ball.

Occasionally I hit the keeper but I reckon I had a 90%+ success rate

One of the hits on the keeper was fair and square in the nads and they had to sub him. To add insult to injury one of my team mates walked the rebound past him whilst he was " winded"

Think only ever missed one in my entire time and that was a five a side match. Just decide where I was going to put it and put it there. Probably helped I played with either foot so, my only choice was which one to take it with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_bukaroo View Post
    Think only ever missed one in my entire time and that was a five a side match. Just decide where I was going to put it and put it there. Probably helped I played with either foot so, my only choice was which one to take it with.
    Nobby the Middle Stump

I don't ever remember taking one in a 'real' game. I sometimes played in goal and was pretty good at saving them. I do recall one player who later went on to be a Miller missing the deciding one in a shootout in a Cubs/Scouts tournament cup final in Boston Park. The tears flowed.

I was a goalie,so loved saving them all !
    Once saved a penalty and the rebound in a cup final at the Herringthorpe stadium,still lost mind !

I was a keeper , always stood my ground made the taker have to make his mind up at the last second , then depending on which foot he was , right for example go right , left footed go left , saved more than conceded 👍

Mind you the balls were a lot heavier in the 90’s !😀 Eldon Electrics **** name , not a bad team tho

Also q ex keeper.

Saved 4 in a penalty shoot out once in a cup game.

Normally in the very low leagues a player puts its to the gk left more times than not

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsladkilnhurst View Post
    Nobby the Middle Stump
    😂if only mate