+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tilson

Quote Originally Posted by NOSCOTCAPS View Post
    I thought the young players were an investment; they will be gone as soon as their contacts are up. Not sure what the rules are on Development fees are, but it will be nowhere near what they could potentially get, if played a little more often. As much as you want to keep your talent, we are not in a position to haggle that much.
    Development fees are peanuts compared to a transfer fee for a young player who has played 1st team football. To get a transfer fee the player has to be under contract at the time of sale like Kerr Smith was, fee for him was reputed to be 1.8 million, not sure what the development fee would have been but lucky if it was over 500,000. Young players need to have trust in their manager and that they will get game time under said manager, how many youngsters are going to look at Goodwin and think he's the best man for me to develop my career with. The last thing the club needs is for the young players to leave at the end of their contracts for a development fee. If we are going to fund an academy we need young players to break into the first team, sign contracts and leave for decent transfer fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Monifieth Arab View Post
    Development fees are peanuts compared to a transfer fee for a young player who has played 1st team football. To get a transfer fee the player has to be under contract at the time of sale like Kerr Smith was, fee for him was reputed to be 1.8 million, not sure what the development fee would have been but lucky if it was over 500,000. Young players need to have trust in their manager and that they will get game time under said manager, how many youngsters are going to look at Goodwin and think he's the best man for me to develop my career with. The last thing the club needs is for the young players to leave at the end of their contracts for a development fee. If we are going to fund an academy we need young players to break into the first team, sign contracts and leave for decent transfer fees.
    I'm absolutely no fan of Goodwin whatsoever, but earlier in the season we were all complaining that the bench was full of kids and no experienced players to bring on so it's a bit rich to complain about the opposite now. Granted the players brought in haven't been good enough but that's probably more down to the owner than the manager.

Also,at this point in the season the focus is unlikely to be on promoting youth and giving the kids game time,it's entirely about winning as many games as possible and getting back up. Best 11 on from the start every game please, and let's just get this done!

Quote Originally Posted by Arabdownsouth View Post
    Also,at this point in the season the focus is unlikely to be on promoting youth and giving the kids game time,it's entirely about winning as many games as possible and getting back up. Best 11 on from the start every game please, and let's just get this done!
    Nobody is talking about promoting youths and giving them game time, I'm talking about the players who have been around the team for a few seasons now, the point I was making about youths leaving rather than signing a contract to enable the club to earn a transfer fee was that the real youngsters the 15/16/17/18 year olds will look at the way Mochrie, Meekison, Cudjoe, McLeod etc have been treated by Goodwin this season, their lack of game time, his lack of confidence in them, signing diddies on loan and persistently playing them before the players mentioned no matter how badly they perform do you seriously think any promising youth player is going to have any faith in Goodwin progressing their career. I've said in several posts we should be playing our best eleven in every game, I totally agree with you on that, I just don't think some players have been given a fair chance to reach that eleven when several others, Watt, Middleton, Grieve, Tillson have been given chance upon chance and have continually shown they either aren't good enough or brave enough or consistent enough. I firmly believe given the proper chances or the same number of chances that either Mochrie or Meekison would replace Watt. Cudjoe or Fotheringham or Thomson would replace Middleton and we would be a far better eleven. I'm not naive enough to think Goodwin will make the changes at this point in the season so that means we are left to rely on Watt and Middleton most games backed up by Grieve and Tillson that does not inspire me with confidence.

Nobody is talking about promoting youths and giving them game time, I'm talking about the players who have been around the team for a few seasons now, the point I was making about youths leaving rather than signing a contract to enable the club to earn a transfer fee was that the real youngsters the 15/16/17/18 year olds will look at the way Mochrie, Meekison, Cudjoe, McLeod etc have been treated by Goodwin this season, their lack of game time, his lack of confidence in them, signing diddies on loan and persistently playing them before the players mentioned no matter how badly they perform do you seriously think any promising youth player is going to have any faith in Goodwin progressing their career. I've said in several posts we should be playing our best eleven in every game, I totally agree with you on that, I just don't think some players have been given a fair chance to reach that eleven when several others, Watt, Middleton, Grieve, Tillson have been given chance upon chance and have continually shown they either aren't good enough or brave enough or consistent enough. I firmly believe given the proper chances or the same number of chances that either Mochrie or Meekison would replace Watt. Cudjoe or Fotheringham or Thomson would replace Middleton and we would be a far better eleven. I'm not naive enough to think Goodwin will make the changes at this point in the season so that means we are left to rely on Watt and Middleton most games backed up by Grieve and Tillson that does not inspire me with confidence.
    your correct, look at the Airdrie game, The front 6 were terrible but its Meekison and Mochrie who were dropped, Watt Middletown and Grieve were actually worse on the night if you watch it back but they played next game.
    Meekison has been injured but look at Mochrie has only had 4 league starts all season. players like watt and Middleton were given game after game to play themselves into form and at times have but they have had at least as many stinkers.
    some will say they havnt taken their chance and i do agree with that but they also need a run of games not a start then 6 x 5 mins cameos then 20 mins then 5 mins etc etc

They also have to be under contract to get a development fee. If the club wants at least a development fee they have to offer a contract to the player AT LEAST as good as the one they are currently on. If they dont they can go to another club for free. Remember Fat Tony screwing The Lewis Neilson thing cause he delayed the contract talks ? Same thing happening this season. if they have any sense the players will be tallking to clubs just now

Nobody is talking about promoting youths and giving them game time, I'm talking about the players who have been around the team for a few seasons now, the point I was making about youths leaving rather than signing a contract to enable the club to earn a transfer fee was that the real youngsters the 15/16/17/18 year olds will look at the way Mochrie, Meekison, Cudjoe, McLeod etc have been treated by Goodwin this season, their lack of game time, his lack of confidence in them, signing diddies on loan and persistently playing them before the players mentioned no matter how badly they perform do you seriously think any promising youth player is going to have any faith in Goodwin progressing their career.
    Will they though? Maybe they look at Cudjoe and see how he f*cks about off the pitch and has a terrible attitude and realise if they do that, they also won't get game time. Maybe they'll look at Kai and see how he progressed into the Scotland set up. Thomson and how he ousted a season pro in Grimshaw into a now regular.

End of the day, these kids need to be good enough and I haven't seen anything that suggests they are.
    Last edited by tHeArAb; 18-03-2024 at 12:39 PM.

Plenty of young players have been in and around the team all season. If they haven't had enough game time it's because they really haven't grasped the opportunity. Those that have done have been given more opportunity than those that haven't. I really don't see it as being any more complicated than that. Right now it's something that's not really the biggest problem we have tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Will they though? Maybe they look at Cudjoe and see how he f*cks about off the pitch and has a terrible attitude and realise if they do that, they also won't get game time. Maybe they'll look at Kai and see how he progressed into the Scotland set up. Thomson and how he ousted a season pro in Grimshaw into a now regular.

End of the day, these kids need to be good enough and I haven't seen anything that suggests they are.
    You're last sentence is bang on and that's because we haven't seen enough of them because Watt, Middleton, Grieve and Tillson get picked ahead of them. Are you going to tell any of us that you have seen anything to suggest they are good enough. Do you seriously think that the younger players I have mentioned have been treated the same and been given the same chances as Watt and company?

You're last sentence is bang on and that's because we haven't seen enough of them because Watt, Middleton, Grieve and Tillson get picked ahead of them. Are you going to tell any of us that you have seen anything to suggest they are good enough. Do you seriously think that the younger players I have mentioned have been treated the same and been given the same chances as Watt and company?
    Grieve and Tilson no. An argument can be made for Watt with 10 goals & 6 assists and Middleton with 3 goals & 11 assists though.
    Of course the younger players haven't been given the same chance as the others, because imo, they aren't good enough. They need to take their chances when given and they seldom too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)