+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sack the groundsman

The rangers boss was giving it tight about Dundee fc and rightly so.
    Only professional game aff in Scotland,let that sink in for a bit.
    Nelms needs to sort it pre season as we are a joke with this pitch.
    Nelms thought game shuda been played!!!
    Pitch was a mess,simple as.

Quote Originally Posted by eric_sinclair View Post
    To be fair the weather across Scotland was OK until about 4pm yesterday then it tipped it down overnight. Comparing today's game with games played yesterday isn't apples for apples.

Having said that the blame for the state of the pitch lies firmly at Nelmsy's door. He'll try to blame others but in the final analysis he's the one responsible.

As an aside I was listening to OAM after yesterday's games and some fan of the defunct ones said, bold as brass, 'we're two points clear of Celtic'. Obviously making the assumption they'd win three points today because, in fact, Celtic are a point clear of them.

The entitlement is astonishing and is another reason I'm glad the game's off.

Quote Originally Posted by eric_sinclair View Post
    Not saying that I agree with Nelms but 20 years ago we would have played on that pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    To be fair the weather across Scotland was OK until about 4pm yesterday then it tipped it down overnight. Comparing today's game with games played yesterday isn't apples for apples.

Having said that the blame for the state of the pitch lies firmly at Nelmsy's door. He'll try to blame others but in the final analysis he's the one responsible.
    The pitch is buggered and should have been sorted during last close season. If it not sorted during next close season Nelms will have compounded an error, mismanagement which would be unforgivable. Since the first problem showed up this season we were already playing so it was too late for the season. The only 'excuse ' I'll countenance is the weather has, factually, been a lot worse than historically, worse than forecasts and the bad weather has largely come at the wrong time. Dens was playable yesterday and will be playable tomorrow not anything like perfect but playable. As for that **** manager of Sevco saying that it is the only senior game off, I agree, but as you point out it is the only senior game played today and as aforementioned the pitch would have been playable yesterday when the rest of the games were played. Maybe if Rangers had played some other team than Benfica they would still be in Europe. But not a like for like argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodbroon View Post
    The pitch is buggered and should have been sorted during last close season. If it not sorted during next close season Nelms will have compounded an error, mismanagement which would be unforgivable. Since the first problem showed up this season we were already playing so it was too late for the season. The only 'excuse ' I'll countenance is the weather has, factually, been a lot worse than historically, worse than forecasts and the bad weather has largely come at the wrong time. Dens was playable yesterday and will be playable tomorrow not anything like perfect but playable. As for that **** manager of Sevco saying that it is the only senior game off, I agree, but as you point out it is the only senior game played today and as aforementioned the pitch would have been playable yesterday when the rest of the games were played. Maybe if Rangers had played some other team than Benfica they would still be in Europe. But not a like for like argument.
    Probably the only senior, amateur or women's gemme AFF in Scotland today.

As for the weather, same street utd seem to have had little problems, can't even recall them having my inspections.

Yes we play opposite weekends but that's stretching things to ridiculous excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    Probably the only senior, amateur or women's gemme AFF in Scotland today.

As for the weather, same street utd seem to have had little problems, can't even recall them having my inspections.

Yes we play opposite weekends but that's stretching things to ridiculous excuses.
    You know I agree with nearly all you are saying about the ridiculous state of our pitch, self inflicted/imposed as it is. The main thing, most unfortunately, is that we, or more to the point Nelms, have/has f*cked up big time and he may or may not accept or realise that but there will be no bettering the situation until the close season. If he doesn't sort out things then it won't be just mismanagement it'll be criminal neglect.

Turning to the weather. You could probably call me a nerd about weather matters and it is a hobby/interest of mine. I don't record rainfall myself but read the stats and despair about the accuracy of the forecasting. I won't resort to writing FACT after every sentence I write like that tube over on Dayglo' Mad but I am pretty sure of the stuff I print on this subject. With a perfect pitch or even reasonably serviceable pitch we wouldn't be having this 'conversation' but timing in our current situation is paramount. There is no doubt the pitch was perfectly playable on Saturday and will likely be so tomorrow maybe even tonight. Weather has become increasingly volatile and subject to extremes especially when it comes to rainfall. A period of about two months during the winter there produced an amount equal to our 'normal' historical annual figure and whilst the number of rainy days is indeed greatly increased it is the amount of rain that has been falling in fairly narrow periods of time that has shown an even greater upturn and that has been part of the problem. In other words the severe downpours are only slightly more frequent but hugely heavier in terms of the amount of water falling. An inch of rain in a short period used to be uncommon in this area, historically the driest part of the country, but now much more common. With a bit of luck regarding the timing of these downpours and we wouldn't again be having said 'conversation' and our sub standard pitch would have ' got away with it' as would Nelms but the stats show that we have indeed been unfortunate in weather timings this season.

So to sum up its our fault and the the weather is not an excuse but actually a reason for the call offs in conjunction with a pitch with knackered drains.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodbroon View Post
    You know I agree with nearly all you are saying about the ridiculous state of our pitch, self inflicted/imposed as it is. The main thing, most unfortunately, is that we, or more to the point Nelms, have/has f*cked up big time and he may or may not accept or realise that but there will be no bettering the situation until the close season. If he doesn't sort out things then it won't be just mismanagement it'll be criminal neglect.

Turning to the weather. You could probably call me a nerd about weather matters and it is a hobby/interest of mine. I don't record rainfall myself but read the stats and despair about the accuracy of the forecasting. I won't resort to writing FACT after every sentence I write like that tube over on Dayglo' Mad but I am pretty sure of the stuff I print on this subject. With a perfect pitch or even reasonably serviceable pitch we wouldn't be having this 'conversation' but timing in our current situation is paramount. There is no doubt the pitch was perfectly playable on Saturday and will likely be so tomorrow maybe even tonight. Weather has become increasingly volatile and subject to extremes especially when it comes to rainfall. A period of about two months during the winter there produced an amount equal to our 'normal' historical annual figure and whilst the number of rainy days is indeed greatly increased it is the amount of rain that has been falling in fairly narrow periods of time that has shown an even greater upturn and that has been part of the problem. In other words the severe downpours are only slightly more frequent but hugely heavier in terms of the amount of water falling. An inch of rain in a short period used to be uncommon in this area, historically the driest part of the country, but now much more common. With a bit of luck regarding the timing of these downpours and we wouldn't again be having said 'conversation' and our sub standard pitch would have ' got away with it' as would Nelms but the stats show that we have indeed been unfortunate in weather timings this season.

So to sum up its our fault and the the weather is not an excuse but actually a reason for the call offs in conjunction with a pitch with knackered drains.
    I disagree as tannadice is playable yesterday, noon today, 1pm, 2pm, 3pm......and for the foreseeable......Dens will go off again with a bit of rain.

So the rain is unprecedented enough to get other parks off.

Nelmsy new of these problems for seasons, not just this season, just like he knew about lake outside the Cox for 10 years that's been sorted with about 5 hours of work.

I hear it's a **** fest behind the scenes at Dens but most ( not you ) seem not to want to know as the shiny new stadium being promised.

I also hear we were fairly close to being bombed out of Gardyne.

But I'm enjoying watching this team playing obviously when the suns oot.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)