+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Centenary celebrations but will it be Tony Stewart's last?

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    I think we can all be thankful that this season isn't the centenary one, how depressing would that be? Naturally, that's on the assumption that next season will be better
    If we miraculously stay up CAM I think we can expect a much of a muchness.

Let’s hope we don’t 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Millmoordays View Post
    The reason this recent charter plane got into difficulty is because he hired the wrong pilot twice, and the best pilot we had left because he got fed up of going the cheaper route all the time.
    I agree that hindsight showed that the appointment of Taylor was a mistake. I think it's impossible to say whether the LR decision was right or wrong at this time (I appreciate that others will disagree, which is fair enough).

The thing about appointing people into any role is that that is it isn't a precise science. You can look at a person's record, take in references and see how they perform in interview, but it's impossible to know whether they will succeed when in role.

The financial means of Rotherham United are what they are. It must be frustrating and tiring to run or manage the club when living and working with that and the unrealistic expectations of supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    He’s not going to live forever. At some time in the not too distant future he’ll leave RUFC as owner one way or another.

I think that IBS like all of us wouldn’t like to see the club crash and burn before he hangs up his yellow tie.
    Nobody lives for ever, Frog.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    Nobody lives for ever, Frog.
    The thing about Stewart is that his legacy will. It’s great as it is but he could ruin it.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    The thing about Stewart is that his legacy will. It’s great as it is but he could ruin it.
    It's already ruined for supporters who think he should have 'speculated to accumulate', which is a phrase that's popular with people who focus only on the 'accumulate' bit.

The bloke undoubtedly has faults - his PR is truly terrible (a bit of media training might help - but probably not very much), but I refuse to see putting financial stability front and centre as one of them.

I'm old enough to remember a family called the Purshouses running the club. Lauded as a progressive set up with money in the bank, they were held up as an example of how to run a club.
    Some fans got sick of steady 3rd tier football with the occasional dip into league 4. They were hounded out and sold to an exciting entrepreneur from down South.
    He gave us 2 and a half seasons of brilliant excitement, winning matches and a title with arguably the best team since the mid-60s. Sadly the team was funded with the money left by the previous owners. He was even generously paying Derby County's bills as well.
    The money ran out, so did the chairman, leaving 15 years of turbulence and unpaid bills and administrations. It was great while it lasted, but we are very fortunate we don't have an F C Rotherham United in the County senior league.
    (Cliché alert). Be careful what you wish for.

Quote Originally Posted by Jocksgloves1 View Post
    I'm old enough to remember a family called the Purshouses running the club. Lauded as a progressive set up with money in the bank, they were held up as an example of how to run a club.
    Some fans got sick of steady 3rd tier football with the occasional dip into league 4. They were hounded out and sold to an exciting entrepreneur from down South.
    He gave us 2 and a half seasons of brilliant excitement, winning matches and a title with arguably the best team since the mid-60s. Sadly the team was funded with the money left by the previous owners. He was even generously paying Derby County's bills as well.
    The money ran out, so did the chairman, leaving 15 years of turbulence and unpaid bills and administrations. It was great while it lasted, but we are very fortunate we don't have an F C Rotherham United in the County senior league.
    (Cliché alert). Be careful what you wish for.
    Me thinks - Anton Johnson. It was a blast though 😀

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    It's already ruined for supporters who think he should have 'speculated to accumulate', which is a phrase that's popular with people who focus only on the 'accumulate' bit.

The bloke undoubtedly has faults - his PR is truly terrible (a bit of media training might help - but probably not very much), but I refuse to see putting financial stability front and centre as one of them.
    I don’t think it’s ruined. It’s great but it could be. I can’t talk for anyone else.

I’d sait it was becoming tainted.

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post
    Let us say an airline pilot, had an exemplary record for 8 or 9 years and during that time took all the plaudits, winning pilot of the year on numerous occasions.

But then there follows a period when his abilities have started to decline, amid reports of erratic behaviour, puzzling decisions and a sharp increase in bumpy landings.

Would you stick by him because he did well in previous years?

More importantly would you buy a ticket to get on a plane he was flying?
    I think I would be looking for one of those parachute payments I keep hearing about

Look, it's been a bad season, on and off the pitch. It's a bl**dy game, not life and death. Nobody is forced to go. Find another hobby for next year, maybe self-financing?
    I get a lot of the latest posts have become wind ups to coincide with new member(s) to this board, but abusing each other, managers, players, staff and the owner on here won't make the team win anymore matches then usual.
    I shall continue to go even if we dropped through the leagues. I went with my Dad, brother and friends, my late wife and kids. Now I go with my grandson. It's what my family do.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast