+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Centenary celebrations but will it be Tony Stewart's last?

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Chill out cup cake
    Retro.

Quote Originally Posted by UlleyMiller View Post
    Opinions are irrelevant, I don't care what any one person thinks any employee is worth. It's a case of the cost to retain vs the impact of them going - opinions come out of it. There are more metrics in football than anywhere, and the Moneyball approach underpins how all of this works in any sensible organisation. Thankfully I don't work in the public sector (for a huge number of reasons), so there's a far greater connection between the commercial reality of these situations.
    So, bottom line, if you as the owner are given advice by your best staffer, that an individual is going to be worth good money if pinned down to a new 3 year deal, with 2 years still remaining on the current contract, and that individual is asking for more money than you realistically can afford to pay without risking the stability of the club, would you offer it regardless? Even though that player could suffer an injury/loss of form. I think that whilst you make some very valid points, there is a marked difference between most commercial orgs and a footy club. And most certainly one a footy club with recent history of nearly losing it's existence.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    So, bottom line, if you as the owner are given advice by your best staffer, that an individual is going to be worth good money if pinned down to a new 3 year deal, with 2 years still remaining on the current contract, and that individual is asking for more money than you realistically can afford to pay without risking the stability of the club, would you offer it regardless? Even though that player could suffer an injury/loss of form. I think that whilst you make some very valid points, there is a marked difference between most commercial orgs and a footy club. And most certainly one a footy club with recent history of nearly losing it's existence.
    Why did I hire my staff if I'm not listening to them? Autocracy limits a business, more so the larger it is. The question isn't appropriate because at no stage does one single enhanced contract risk the club, it's completely unrealistic to suggest it does... but as I said, the metrics should be there to give you the answers before you pursue a negotiation.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    surely you would do a value analysis at that time. If you want to extend his contract because you want to keep him and you hope if his performance continues his market value will increase, you offset the increased financial cost of the extension with the increased market value. If they don't want to sign you might decide to sell at that point to maximise the return if you worry they can leave for nothing when they choose. The real measure is are we as good as other similar size clubs at doing this and managing our assets, I think looking at the last few years there is a case that we are not looking like anywhere near demonstrating industry best practice. there are always factors in individual cases that we don't know, but our approach doesn't appear from the outside to be good enough.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789