+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Centenary celebrations but will it be Tony Stewart's last?

Quote Originally Posted by UlleyMiller View Post
    That's the point. That's what they will do. The younger generation are raised on instant gratification - they won't stomach biennial relegations because they remember standing in the rain at Millmoor watching Scunny. And when the old guard die out, we're dropping back to early 90s attendances. All for what? Because we should be forever grateful that someone built a ground to make some old folks happy and not let fans have a say if it hurts some feelings? If you buy into football, you're fair game for criticism.
    He's not short of that.

The rationale Millers need to understand is that two things can be true at the same time. It's possible for Stubbs to be an awful manager, but understand that things aren't right at a club. This seems lost on many.

Kioso starts next season as a 25 year old and our youngest player (owned, actually playing). Sunderland, Leeds, Blackburn and Watford have played with entire teams with an average under 24. We shouldn't just have younger players getting game time, but we should have a proper nucleus of players who the fans know will be there every year, barring a crazy offer from a 'bigger' club - and not a few quid from Huddersfield or Middlesbrough ideally.

I'm not too fearful of relegation next season, I'm more concerned that we end up loaning in the maximum allocation and somehow going up again - because then we have another sticking plaster situation. We need to start properly backing the players we want here for years. Get rid of these 'last few months' situations where clubs come sniffing and players worry about getting injured.

I fully get that older fans remember the dark days (although sometimes airbrush the Ronnie era where we spent a good spell in tier two), but younger fans now have seen us go down too often to make Saturdays enjoyable. The 'I'm alright Jack' view isn't going to put us in a good place as that generation decide it's better to spend their time doing other things than to sit through 9 months of gloom out of every 2 years.
    I agree the club must adopt a long term plan.However with TS approaching his eightieth I don't think he will be doing this.There are so many things that have been put on the back burner that are ***** for this club to progress.It probably is the ideal time for Tony to hand over the reigns to a younger owner to complete phase two and get this club back on track.

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    He's not short of that.
    Doesn't really need the forum guard dogs then.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerBill View Post
    I agree the club must adopt a long term plan.However with TS approaching his eightieth I don't think he will be doing this.There are so many things that have been put on the back burner that are ***** for this club to progress.It probably is the ideal time for Tony to hand over the reigns to a younger owner to complete phase two and get this club back on track.
    If he isn't thinking about the future, he's a problem... and yes, as you say, needs to move things on. If the rumours are true, another 70 year old is in contention next, so who knows what the future holds.

Doesn't really need the forum guard dogs then.
    Or the 100's of duplicate posts harping on about the same thing. All we have is polarized opinion and name calling on here.

Nothing constructive at all. Except in a few people's heads.

If he isn't thinking about the future, he's a problem... and yes, as you say, needs to move things on. If the rumours are true, another 70 year old is in contention next, so who knows what the future holds.
    If that 70 year old is prepared to throw £20m+ a year at it + whatever the club is going to cost them, we might improve a bit.

It's all about the money.

Or the 100's of duplicate posts harping on about the same thing. All we have is polarized opinion and name calling on here.

Nothing constructive at all. Except in a few people's heads.
    Well clearly that doesn't make sense.

Wouldn't be a first. Not to worry

Kioso starts next season as a 25 year old and our youngest player (owned, actually playing). Sunderland, Leeds, Blackburn and Watford have played with entire teams with an average under 24. We shouldn't just have younger players getting game time, but we should have a proper nucleus of players who the fans know will be there every year, barring a crazy offer from a 'bigger' club - and not a few quid from Huddersfield or Middlesbrough ideally.

I'm not too fearful of relegation next season, I'm more concerned that we end up loaning in the maximum allocation and somehow going up again - because then we have another sticking plaster situation. We need to start properly backing the players we want here for years. Get rid of these 'last few months' situations where clubs come sniffing and players worry about getting injured.

You make some valid points, but I think that the central premise of your 'plan' - that we gather a nuclus of young players who we can rely on to be here every year is so far removed from the reality that clubs have to deal with. It is a players game, not a problem with that, they are the performers, and if you are fortunate or even skillful enough to unearth a real gem, maybe not to command silly money, but of the ilk of Chio, Dan and Victor, then I'm afraid that they hold the cards and when it comes to the contract renegotiation with us, I don't think they will be as keen to resign on the max money that we can afford to pay them. They will have a good idea of their worth, and whilst we may think that we are making them a good offer, if they don't agree, they know that the clock will run down and better money awaits elsewhere.

How would you deal with these real world scenarios? You seem to again be talking about a kind of alternative reality that seems a bit removed from the one we have to live in! Although I must stress that I agree that there is seeming evidence that the club can and should be run better, that there are most likely to be many things that Tont should be doing differently, I don't think trying to apply unrealistic scenarios is very helpful.

If that 70 year old is prepared to throw £20m+ a year at it + whatever the club is going to cost them, we might improve a bit.

It's all about the money.
    It isn't all about the money though is it?
    Not much point in having wealth if you don't use it wisely.
    Just ask Chelsea.

I'm not convinced that we have anyone at the club who would be capable of spending an increased budget wisely or effectively.
    If we ever do get a new owner I would hope they clear out some of the dead wood currently in senior positions and replace them with proper "football people."

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast