+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yellow card for taking your shirt off, wtf?

Yellow card for taking your shirt off, wtf?

Ok so none if us wants to see Scum win, but having watched the second half and extra time, credit to both teams for providing the "neutral" with a real spectacle of football at its best, but......

Why in the name of all that is holy in football does a player get a yellow simply for taking off their shirt in celebration
    of scoring (and in the case of the guy who scored their winner, on a second yellow and gets sent off). F00king ridiculous.

Rules are rules so it was a pretty braindead thing to do no sympathy at all f*ck em.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev72 View Post
    Rules are rules so it was a pretty braindead thing to do no sympathy at all f*ck em.
    "Rules were made for fools and the guidance of wise men". Ok, different context maybe, but the principle is equally valid.

Wasn't asking on the basis of what the consequences were, but WHY there are such consequences. Just what harm is occasioned by a player in a moment of extreme emotion having scored (and not just the kind of crucial goal that Amade scored to day, ANY goal), taking their shirt off (or were people offended by the sight of bare flesh before the fairly commonplace habit of wearing undershirts?)? Seems like a rule for a rules sake, neither improving nor protecting the interests of the game at any level.
    Last edited by WTF11; 17-03-2024 at 07:15 PM.

Thicko knows the outcome, manager needs to fine him too.

Quote Originally Posted by CalverleyBoy View Post
    Thicko knows the outcome, manager needs to fine him too.
    You've just scored a goal that will (not might) take your team through to the semi-final of the FA cup, and is it possible your emotions take control? I suspect so, and yet again, I ask the question, the "rule" that he contravened was introduced WHY?

I genuinely, honestly, don't give a rats ar5e about the fact that the guy will face a ban, I just want to know WHY the rule is there, what benefit does it infer on the conduct of any game, or influence the behaviour (to the positive) of any player? I'd suggest that booking players who exhibit dissent would have a far more beneficial effect on both.

Can ANYONE answer my question, as opposed to criticising the player (I don't care about what happens to him, really)?

Maybe harsh to some.

But seen crushing of fans going towards celebrating players a few times & stuff thrown by fans at celebrating players too.

Rules are very clear regardless.
    Climbing onto a perimeter fence and/or approaching the spectators in a manner which causes safety and/or security issues.

Acting in a provocative, derisory or inflammatory way.
    Covering the head or face with a mask or other similar item.
    Removing the shirt or covering the head with the shirt.

Also rule is meant to curb time-wasting as much as possible & maybe could be considered unsportsmanlike.
    Political messages on underneath t-shirts was another matter for creating the rule.

Hope he gets a long ban ! 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post
    Maybe harsh to some.

But seen crushing of fans going towards celebrating players a few times & stuff thrown by fans at celebrating players too.

Rules are very clear regardless.
    Climbing onto a perimeter fence and/or approaching the spectators in a manner which causes safety and/or security issues.

Acting in a provocative, derisory or inflammatory way.
    Covering the head or face with a mask or other similar item.
    Removing the shirt or covering the head with the shirt.

Also rule is meant to curb time-wasting as much as possible & maybe could be considered unsportsmanlike.
    Political messages on underneath t-shirts was another matter for creating the rule.

Hope he gets a long ban ! ��
    Well, I thank you for the explanation, and in the main I have no issue with this "rule". Issue I have with this, having had the rational laid out as you have, is as follows;

1. I can't count the number of times I have seen players "climbing onto a perimeter fence", "Approaching the spectators in a manner which causes safety and/or security issues", "acting in a provocative derisory or inflammatory way" (hands cupped against ear, etc), none of which, in those instances where I have seen these things, have EVER resulted in a yellow. Whilst I can see the logic of those conditions, despite the fact that the rule in those cases is almost NEVER applied, there is no rationale in MTs post that explains why the removal of the shirt is banned, on pain of a yellow card.

Is there anything that supports the assertion that the rule, as applied to the removal of the shirt at least, is "meant to curb time-wasting", and just how can such a removal be deemed "unsportsmanlike"?

The ban on political messages is understandable, but again not universally applied (the message on Luis Diazs shirt is a point in question, where no sanction was applied (which I agree with by the way), one rule for one, one rule for another?

Again, I see no justification for the ban on removing the shirt, and despite him playing for Scum, I hope he doesn't get a ban of any sort. Not too bothered if he does, just seems heavy-handed and an application of a rule for the rules sake, nothing more.

I know nothing about what happened. I’d rather jerk off than watch scum play.

However, I agree 100% with the shirt removal rule. It’s a 100% inflammatory action that serves no purpose other than to rub the other teams face in it. What’s next?
    Drooping your drawers, mooning fans, tugging at your Johnson or acting like you rogering someone. Any ref will tell you that the post goal moments in a game are the trickiest to control. The last thing you need is someone taking his kit off and rubbing salt in the wound.

Just celebrate briefly and then line up to play the rest of the match

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    I know nothing about what happened. I’d rather jerk off than watch scum play.

However, I agree 100% with the shirt removal rule. It’s a 100% inflammatory action that serves no purpose other than to rub the other teams face in it. What’s next?
    Drooping your drawers, mooning fans, tugging at your Johnson or acting like you rogering someone. Any ref will tell you that the post goal moments in a game are the trickiest to control. The last thing you need is someone taking his kit off and rubbing salt in the wound.

Just celebrate briefly and then line up to play the rest of the match
    Like Bamford did, or Gnonto or, or, or.? Many LUFC players have celebrated in a manner which contravenes the rule as articulated in MTs post but none have been sanctioned and that applies to HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of similar instances And "taking his kit off"? It's a shirt FFS, get a grip.

"Celebrate briefly" yeah good luck with that.

Sometimes I can see why players do it - like when Ian Wright broke the Arsenal scoring record and the T-shirt underneath had a message or Rapha supporting someone in Brazil - otherwise totally makes sense.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)