+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Dogs deducted 4 points

Amazing though all these Forest (and Leicester fans) are up in arms about it yet we're loving it when the EFL came after us.

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post
    Amazing though all these Forest (and Leicester fans) are up in arms about it yet we're loving it when the EFL came after us.
    think there is a massive difference here Sith. Mad Mel was going out his way to cook the books and lie his way about the whole thing. I'll give Merry Nackers his due in this. He has been upfront and co operative from day one, which was acknowledged in the hearing.
    yes he was late in the Johnson sale, but when you consider all this is to save clubs going bust, that sale would have lost £17 Million quid? Turned out they couldn't sell him anyway, as Johnson refused to move.

As for Citeh. They have been ducking/diving/dodging for years and won trophies in that time. Time they grew some balls, and expelled them , to start again. They won't of course, they will accept the massive pay off coming their way.

What did Mel lie about?

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    think there is a massive difference here Sith. Mad Mel was going out his way to cook the books and lie his way about the whole thing. I'll give Merry Nackers his due in this. He has been upfront and co operative from day one, which was acknowledged in the hearing.
    yes he was late in the Johnson sale, but when you consider all this is to save clubs going bust, that sale would have lost £17 Million quid? Turned out they couldn't sell him anyway, as Johnson refused to move.
    Can’t agree with that and I’m not saying it in a partisan way. No way am I trying to rehabilitate MM but he was (very) reckless and ill advised, no more. I wouldn’t want your fellah if if meant all the success possible, something smells wrong about him

What did Mel lie about?
    To the best of my knowledge, he didn't. The only thing that was almost one was when he said we wouldn't exceed FFP limits. He based that on the depreciation method he started to use in 2015 being 100% under UK Law. It was and still is. However, the EFL has a catch all "fairness" clause in its rules. One that says if anything appears to be unfair to other clubs, then it's against EFL rules. Our stopping using linear depreciation and going to a system where there's little to no depreciation in year 1 and a large figure in year 5 was deemed to give us an unfair advantage over the rest of the EFL as it helped us stay within FFP limits. Hence the redoing of historical accounts leading to FFP excesses and the extra 9 point deduction.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, he didn't. The only thing that was almost one was when he said we wouldn't exceed FFP limits. He based that on the depreciation method he started to use in 2015 being 100% under UK Law. It was and still is. However, the EFL has a catch all "fairness" clause in its rules. One that says if anything appears to be unfair to other clubs, then it's against EFL rules. Our stopping using linear depreciation and going to a system where there's little to no depreciation in year 1 and a large figure in year 5 was deemed to give us an unfair advantage over the rest of the EFL as it helped us stay within FFP limits. Hence the redoing of historical accounts leading to FFP excesses and the extra 9 point deduction.
    Interesting though when they closed the loop hole that Steve Gibson had been exploiting they didn't apply it retrospectively.

I am no fan of Mel for pushing us into this however I do have a degree of sympathy because they had happily accepted our accounting method for a number of years, and that method was tagged on the charge raised which was initially solely around the sale of the stadium.

The initial panel found no problem with the accounting method, a panel comprising of I believe, 3 accountants.

The appeal panel had no one of accounting expertise in the same way, and still they said that the method was legal, but as you say as others were not using it they chose to define the method of accounting and backdated it.

Interesting though when they closed the loop hole that Steve Gibson had been exploiting they didn't apply it retrospectively.

I am no fan of Mel for pushing us into this however I do have a degree of sympathy because they had happily accepted our accounting method for a number of years, and that method was tagged on the charge raised which was initially solely around the sale of the stadium.

The initial panel found no problem with the accounting method, a panel comprising of I believe, 3 accountants.

The appeal panel had no one of accounting expertise in the same way, and still they said that the method was legal, but as you say as others were not using it they chose to define the method of accounting and backdated it.
    True dat. I have often wondered if Gibson and/or Couhig had enough "dirt" to have gone after the EFL if they hadn't done all in their power to "do" DCFC...

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    True dat. I have often wondered if Gibson and/or Couhig had enough "dirt" to have gone after the EFL if they hadn't done all in their power to "do" DCFC...
    I always say it's like lowering the speed limit then sending a fine retrospectively to everyone who exceeded it in the past

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Can’t agree with that and I’m not saying it in a partisan way. No way am I trying to rehabilitate MM but he was (very) reckless and ill advised, no more. I wouldn’t want your fellah if if meant all the success possible, something smells wrong about him
    Perhaps the ‘smell’ of dirty money, AF?
    Share your view of MM and it feels good to now have a man of integrity take the helm at Derby. Has to be said though, that for all his undoubted faults, I don’t ever recall Morris being associated, in any way at all, with match fixing, drug dealing, money laundering or burning bakeries.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Perhaps the ‘smell’ of dirty money, AF?
    Share your view of MM and it feels good to now have a man of integrity take the helm at Derby. Has to be said though, that for all his undoubted faults, I don’t ever recall Morris being associated, in any way at all, with match fixing, drug dealing, money laundering or burning bakeries.
    He could probably at a push be a Walter White impersonator looks wise.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)