+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Archie Gray

Archie Gray

In an interview with Sky Sports made clear he wants to stay and win things with Leeds.

Astonishingly, he has played 36 out of our 38 league games putting him 3rd in the list of players with the most league appearances this season.

Came on at 83 minutes and scored an absolute blinder in the U21 game against Azerbaijan (full game on youtube), the lad is an absolute star (and doesn't take his shirt off when he scores (yet! )). He MUST be kept at Leeds, no ifs, no buts, no maybes!

Would like to see him move a back into midfield too

Watched a few of the games he has played in again (no league football leaves a big gap on a weekend!), and was struck by how much he resembles (build, stature, playing style, confidence with the ball and determination to win it back when not, and ability to play in just about any position he is put into), of a (relatively) unsung hero of the Revie side, Paul Madeley.

Grace, physicality, grit, far-sightedness in distributing the ball, playing for his team first and foremost, a real credit to all those involved in his development and to the man himself (yes, man, not a lad, not a boy, a man). Like I say, he MUST stay at Leeds, come what may.

Tony Dorigo made similar comparisons so you are in good company.

He also has shades of his great uncle the way he can shimmy his body and make defenders dive in without having committed to going one way of the other.

Could be like a James Milner type, his physique in time will fill out which will help playing in the varied position roles, for sure in his development.

Archie's strong mentality within a steady, cool mindset of decision-making really sets him apart already as his main strength combined with his natural talent.

Defo helps him being part of a tight-knit family with 3 younger brothers too.
    Similar to me having 2 bro's, 1 sis & a self driven Mum all setting examples to follow - so all that sure keeps you in check with a steady Dad to balance out those bad days we all have ! 😊

Not sure he'll be a one-club man like Steven Gerrard who was also a creative midfielder with limitless energy.
    Maybe in time with lots of hard work he can become more "Gerrardesk" for scoring those crucial goals at crucial times ?
    Archie defo has Gerrards natural traits in work ethic, also his passing both at pace, long range & one two's, as well as being a good tackler & dribbler of the ball to aid his natural versatility.

Just enjoy him while we have him i'd say.

If the 49ers invest as they can - if and when we return to the Prem, I believe ( hope ) Archie could stay and accomplish his dreams with Leeds.
    All down to them yanks

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post
    Could be like a James Milner type, his physique in time will fill out which will help playing in the varied position roles, for sure in his development.

Archie's strong mentality within a steady, cool mindset of decision-making really sets him apart already as his main strength combined with his natural talent.

Defo helps him being part of a tight-knit family with 3 younger brothers too.
    Similar to me having 2 bro's, 1 sis & a self driven Mum all setting examples to follow - so all that sure keeps you in check with a steady Dad to balance out those bad days we all have ! 😊

Not sure he'll be a one-club man like Steven Gerrard who was also a creative midfielder with limitless energy.
    Maybe in time with lots of hard work he can become more "Gerrardesk" for scoring those crucial goals at crucial times ?
    Archie defo has Gerrards natural traits in work ethic, also his passing both at pace, long range & one two's, as well as being a good tackler & dribbler of the ball to aid his natural versatility.

Just enjoy him while we have him i'd say.
    "Enjoy him while we have him".....About time we had owners who demonstrated that there should be no limit to a players longevity at LUFC. Archie would be a suitable candidate for showing that to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    "Enjoy him while we have him".....About time we had owners who demonstrated that there should be no limit to a players longevity at LUFC. Archie would be a suitable candidate for showing that to be true.
    I respect your sentiment WTF, 100%.

But we are talking about someone who may like to challenge his talents further a field at some point.
    At 17, i opted to stay in England rather than take an option to study Art in Paris.
    At 20 i walked away from Art to secure an opportunity working in another career for decent regular money.
    At 25 illness kicked in & then later serious health issues too.

So careers can be short for sure - more so in football & talent creates broader opportunities.
    I recall you had work spells in Holland before returning home.

Looking back i'd wished i had accepted working abroad a lot earlier & absorbed the differing cultures to have added to my armoury & am glad i eventually did it to prove to myself that the challenge awaiting was well worth it.

My comment was made in that context from my age 😉 perspective now looking back to my 17 year old perspective back then.

Life & opportunity must be lived & grasped along its journey of ups & downs often on bumpy roads to opportunity which young Archie will no doubt be a passenger on along his way, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post
    I respect your sentiment WTF, 100%.

But we are talking about someone who may like to challenge his talents further a field at some point.
    At 17, i opted to stay in England rather than take an option to study Art in Paris.
    At 20 i walked away from Art to secure an opportunity working in another career for decent regular money.
    At 25 illness kicked in & then later serious health issues too.

So careers can be short for sure - more so in football & talent creates broader opportunities.
    I recall you had work spells in Holland before returning home.

Looking back i'd wished i had accepted working abroad a lot earlier & absorbed the differing cultures to have added to my armoury & am glad i eventually did it to prove to myself that the challenge awaiting was well worth it.

My comment was made in that context from my age �� perspective now looking back to my 17 year old perspective back then.

Life & opportunity must be lived & grasped along its journey of ups & downs often on bumpy roads to opportunity which young Archie will no doubt be a passenger on along his way, imo.
    I suspect we are violently agreeing with each other! My comment regarding the ownership of LUFC and their ability to provide a lifelong career was based on LUFC being supported by said owners in doing what those with the purse strings at Schitty, Newcastle, Scum, Chelski etc are able to offer their squad(s).

It's oft said that the Premiership is the pinnacle of footballing competition in the world, about time we occupied a place on that pinnacle and then (perhaps) the likes of Gray and others wouldn't even be tempted to consider others, Cometh the hour, cometh the man (or in this situation, the owners!).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)