+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Is Accrington the new Altrincham

Is Accrington the new Altrincham

When Burchnall took over we went on a terrible run - not only Hornchurch, but also 2 league defeats to Eastleigh amongst others.

The turning point for him looking back was the draw at Altrincham in May 1, 2021. After that game we went on a storming run that eventually allowed him to join the mighty Village Green Rovers (not unrelated, that game was also the turning point for two others; Ruben and Ross)

Anyone else see possible parallels with Maynard stopping the rot at Accrington then kicking on at Bradford?
    I think SM's start was even worse than Burchnalls' and it's doubtful we'll go on as good a run now as IB's team did for the last 10 games of that season, but it seems the two may have something in common - awful starts, turned into something viable after score draws earned at north-west teams, 10 letters beginning with A

Let's see if it works out that way.
    Last edited by the_anticlough; 21-03-2024 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    When Burchnall took over we went on a terrible run - not only Hornchurch, but also 2 league defeats to Eastleigh amongst others.

The turning point for him looking back was the draw at Altrincham in May 1, 2021. After that game we went on a storming run that eventually allowed him to join the mighty Village Green Rovers (not unrelated, that game was also the turning point for two others; Ruben and Ross)

Anyone else see possible parallels with Maynard stopping the rot at Accrington then kicking on at Bradford?
    I think SM's start was even worse than Burchnalls' and it's doubtful we'll go on as good a run now as IB's team did for the last 10 games of that season, but it seems the two may have something in common - awful starts, turned into something viable after score draws earned at north-west teams, 10 letters beginning with A

Let's see if it works out that way.
    Maybe but there wasn't an "R" in the month? Makes a difference you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Maybe but there wasn't an "R" in the month? Makes a difference you know.
    But they both start with 'M'... the evidence is stacking up!!

I felt from day one that he would be another Burchnall, which isn't exactly a bold prediction.
    Don't think too many would be surprised to see Maynard reach but lose in the play offs once or twice before leaving for some unfashionable and overachieving club in the mould of Fleetwood, Burton or Wycombe, with most Notts fans not expressing any great sorrow to see him move on.

Good shout, Maynard to Wycombe in May, 2026. I think you'd have your hand snapped off if you offered that

I'm sure the good people of Altrincham would be dismayed to have their town compared to Accrington.