+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much do you love the current team?

I agree with a lot of this.

I have really enjoyed this season and last in particular. I have seen as many defeats as wins, but I even enjoyed those (Wrexham, Sutton away, Crawley). I think it's because we play good football, and they players seem to care and give 100%.

I used to go to a lot in the Warnock years which were great fun - Tommy Johnson, Mark Draper, Don O etc were a great team to watch, but could be very frustrating. I found Alladyce's team very dull (my late wife gave up coming with me as she was so bored) and if we weren't winning I would have found it quite tough to watch.

I also loved watching Les Bradd, Iain Scanlon, Mick Vinter, Don Masson etc etc. I was very young then and the excitement of being there was more than enough in those days.

I have supported Notts since the 1950’s, but the pleasure I get from Notts since the Reedtz Brothers took control, are the most enjoyable period in all those years; in fact although I live in Gloucestershire, I bought my first season ticket for our first season in Non League football.
    During the last few years, the pleasure I get visiting Meadow Lane and following Notts have exceeded anything that went before, including a couple of play off finals at Wembley.
    The club is extremely well run, both on and off the pitch, and despite recent results, there are no panic statements or silly comments emanating from the board. Long May peace reign at Meadow Lane.

The players and this team that got us back to where we belong will always be the undeniable heroes.

Even during our recent poor run of results I don’t believe that we have bad apples, disruptive personalities or players who are not trying or who do not care. I do think confidence dropped and the loss of two key people in the club took its toll. Likewise going toe to toe with Wrexham for the entire of last season pushing and pushing and the mental and physical effort to get through the playoffs finally caught up with the team.

Like others I enjoyed the Wrexham and Mansfield away games I thought they were good competitive encounters.

2024 so far as been one of the most challenging periods under the Reedz brothers since they managed to buy the club and get a team together to start our first season in the National League. I believe we will come through the other side better equipped and stronger for it as a club.

All I want to see between now and the end of the season is the green shoots of recovery, some home wins so we can finish on a positive note going into the summer. Then this can provide a platform to build on over the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by applepie2 View Post
    I've seen some brilliant ear's at Meadow Lane

The best ones were on the donkeys we’ve often signed.
    Thanks Apple Pie and 1955 for pointing out ....

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    All I want to see between now and the end of the season is the green shoots of recovery, some home wins so we can finish on a positive note going into the summer. Then this can provide a platform to build on over the summer.
    Not many green shoots in a run of 5 home defeats. I loved the team that took us up and they will always be remembered. The trouble is, bad decisions that allowed the weaker ones to stay on have made that love wane slightly.

Put it this way, do they compare with:
    Watling, Brindley, Worthington, Stubbs, Needham, Jones, Masson, Nixon, Hately, Bradd, Crickmore or
    Raddy, Benjy, O'Brien, Kilcline, Pedro, Hunt, Masson, Chiedozie, Christie, McCulloch, Mair or
    Cherry, Palmer, Paris, Short, Yates, O'Riordan, Thomas, Turner, Draper, Bartlett, Johnson.

Those teams had no real weak links. Even utility players like Jones and Hunt put in a good shift. Our current team carries passengers and that needs to be addressed. People can point to our level but that first team was in the 4th tier and put together on a budget. It was also well managed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    Not many green shoots in a run of 5 home defeats. I loved the team that took us up and they will always be remembered. The trouble is, bad decisions that allowed the weaker ones to stay on have made that love wane slightly.

Put it this way, do they compare with:
    Watling, Brindley, Worthington, Stubbs, Needham, Jones, Masson, Nixon, Hately, Bradd, Crickmore or
    Raddy, Benjy, O'Brien, Kilcline, Pedro, Hunt, Masson, Chiedozie, Christie, McCulloch, Mair or
    Cherry, Palmer, Paris, Short, Yates, O'Riordan, Thomas, Turner, Draper, Bartlett, Johnson.

Those teams had no real weak links. Even utility players like Jones and Hunt put in a good shift. Our current team carries passengers and that needs to be addressed. People can point to our level but that first team was in the 4th tier and put together on a budget. It was also well managed.
    Football was totally different then though players had a real rapport with fans and stayed much much longer at clubs.

I think 99% of fans would say we all want Jones/Langstaff to stay next season that just isn’t going to happen they will want to go imo, so it means you are starting from stratch again.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    Football was totally different then though players had a real rapport with fans and stayed much much longer at clubs.

I think 99% of fans would say we all want Jones/Langstaff to stay next season that just isn’t going to happen they will want to go imo, so it means you are starting from stratch again.
    In the 1970s, 1st January 1970 to 31st December 1979, we used 67 players in all competitions.

In the 2010s, we used 240 players (46 players in the 2014/15 season alone).

Obviously the extra subs are a big factor in those figures but it must be harder for fans to invest emotional attachment into their players today with so many new faces coming and going every season.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    Yes, I do.
    I’ve always said as a Notts fan, the only thing I demand to see is 100% effort.
    This squad gives us that but also ability and team cohesion.
    It’s why I just can’t get on board with booing, slating players etc.
    In any other walk of life, if someone is struggling you support them and help them. I don’t know why in football we think the opposite is the answer.
    Dont agree with that, that in any walk of life if somebody is struggling you help them.
    Certainly not true in the world of employment. Where somebody is assessed on there prior experience relative to the job, and competency skills that can be transfered
    Most jobs now demand previous experience in that role, and if you havent got it, somebody else gets the job that does have more of it
    Then even if you do get the job and start poorly, there is usually a time limit of say 3 months , where improvement is expected, if not they are usually sacked
    SM fails on all levels, no previous successs - bottom half of national league, no prior coaching experience at EFL level, and he has started poorly. Why on earth the bro,s paid compensation for him remains a mystery to me, you only pay more if they have proven success

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12