+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: CabbageHeed claims he was a victim and Fatso was a good owner

CabbageHeed claims he was a victim and Fatso was a good owner

I wonder which planet he's on, and it just shows up his level of reasoning.

Quote.

Former Newcastle United boss Steve Bruce has defended his time at the club and former owner Mike Ashley.

The 63-year-old succeeded Rafa Benitez at Newcastle in 2019 and led the Magpies to two mid-table finishes. Bruce left the club in October 2021 after a Saudi-led consortium completed their takeover of the North East club from Ashley and appointed Eddie Howe.

Former Newcastle United boss Steve Bruce has defended his time at the club and former owner Mike Ashley.

The 63-year-old succeeded Rafa Benitez at Newcastle in 2019 and led the Magpies to two mid-table finishes. Bruce left the club in October 2021 after a Saudi-led consortium

completed their takeover of the North East club from Ashley and appointed Eddie Howe.

Newcastle enjoyed a successful campaign in Howe's first full season, reaching the Carabao Cup final, and securing Champions League football by finishing fourth. Results have dipped in 2023/24 but the Magpies fanbase have generally been more united behind their current owners amid their lofty ambitions.

And Bruce has defended his record in charge of Newcastle, highlighting the different level of ambition during his tenure. "Look, I absolutely adored, adored the job," he told talkSPORT. "I loved going to work on it even though it was during Covid.

"It was difficult and look, I just think I was the victim. It's a bit like when I managed Sunderland, you know, I said in 10 years' time, they will look back and think 'that fella did an all right job.

"We'd gone in after Rafa [Benitez] who had finished 12th, we'd lost [Aleksandar] Mitrovic and we lost the other centre forward who went to Leicester so we'd lost the two strikers.

"So the remit was, I've got to just keep Newcastle up and look, we weren't a great watch, I understand that too. We didn't have the team to play like Edie Howe's does and I knew that's what the Newcastle fans wanted.

"I would like to think we were very, very well organized, difficult to beat, but I think I was the victim of the whole club at the time were desperate for the takeover."

Bruce then discussed former owner Ashley, sharing his view that the club were well run during his ownership.

"The club would never be in any distress under Mike Ashley," he said. "Sometimes you have to get this balance right and all this financial fair play is to ensure that clubs don't get themselves in a situation where they go bust.

"Unfortunately, in the lower divisions, we've seen it over the years now, your Bury and Stockport and places like that who've gone under because obviously they haven't managed the finances well. It was a well-run club, under Mike.

"I know I'm going to go slaughtered for that, but the big thing is we never had a lot of money to spend, you know, we spent exactly what the club generated. Of course, that was never going to be enough for it to be really, really successful."
    Last edited by ex_pat_magpie; 21-03-2024 at 11:13 PM.

The fact that Ashley failed to grow the commercial side of the club hampers us today and will continue to do so for several years.
    You don’t succeed in football by not investing/spending, you fat oaf.

I had to check the date to make sure it wasn't April Fool's.

The man is, simply, delusional.

So the poor soul was a victim.
    It's a hard life. Misunderstood, victimised, and only a paltry £8million payoff as compensation.

I

I stopped reading after he said that he didn't have the team Eddie had. This fker just winds me up just by seeing his face.

As a red nose he thought Ashley was a good owner because he kept us in our place without hope or ambition. I believe (based on nothing scientific) that he hates the North East.

...and Rafa barely played Mitrovic.

Ashley was responsible for Bruce 'earning' 8 million plus wages in two years with some one else picking up most of the tab.

He won't exactly give an objective view.

That doesn't sound like an objective point of view. Let's ask Rio Ferdinand instead.

I mean . . . what the ****.

He's ****ing away with the fairies as my grandma use to say.

A good chunk of these players were players under Bruce the fact that Eddie has turned them into what he has says it all.

****ing ****.

I did like:
    "we'd lost [Aleksandar] Mitrovic and we lost the other centre forward who went to Leicester"

Seems he can't even recall the name! Not sure Perez was really a centre forward either........

Lazy, fat, stupid, incompetent narcissists will always portray themselves as victims.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)