+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: ⚽ Match Thread vs. Salford City [EFL L2] 23.03.24

Today's game I mean

Quote Originally Posted by OldBanksy View Post
    Today's game I mean
    According to Notts website it is, it's not a Saturday match so can be streamed iirc as per the regs. I would imagine Mondays will be available too.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusCole View Post
    Football is a results game, it completely is What have you done for me lately.How many extra points do we get this season for getting over 100 last season. How many extra goals do we get if we win the previous game 5-0. its is all about the on the day. Everything he did last season is irrelevant to this one because it gives us nothing.

His and Baldwin's attitude this season it totally unacceptable, they have made mistakes and have not learnt from them. That is completely unforgivable to many of us.
    Been busy, but I thought Banjo's was an appropriate response to this to be honest.

I do think that What have you done for me lately attitudes have factored into the subject under discussion here. What is it - a mere 10 months ago that Cameron was lifting the promotion trophy at Wembley? And we all basked in the great thing achieved - EFL status regained - by 'undeniable heroes' (who remembers that video?) It was, and still is, a big deal, to me at least.

It was interesting to see Mace's podcast this week - the great initiative to involve our former players. That's exactly the right approach, in the same spirit as the 'Brindley, Needham...' thread here. We may live in a consumerist, disposal world now, but football is at its best when it's about community, and creating a family. One day, when most are old and grey, we'll be inviting the class of 2023 back to take their plaudits. But would they want to come if they've been bullied and boo-ed out of the club by an alliance of angry old curmudgeons and spoilt tiktokers? I don't think I would. The unsavoury online ruckus since last Saturday should tell us that it's already gone too far.

We live in a disposable, consumerist world of instant gratification - fast food now! the next tiktok, swipe to the next video. Bad game or run of games? 'Unforgiveable'!! Ged rid, next, next, swipe, swipe. KC is a hero in May, but already a half-eaten KFC to bin by the following March. Not good at all!

It seems like I'm old-fashioned in wanting to follow the fortunes of my football club in this way - by respecting the players and managers who have actually achieved something for us. And that doesn't mean they can't be criticised when it's due. It just seems a lot more sane to me to remember what they've achieved and that they're trying to take that difficult next step up to a higher level.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Been busy, but I thought Banjo's was an appropriate response to this to be honest.

I do think that What have you done for me lately attitudes have factored into the subject under discussion here. What is it - a mere 10 months ago that Cameron was lifting the promotion trophy at Wembley? And we all basked in the great thing achieved - EFL status regained - by 'undeniable heroes' (who remembers that video?) It was, and still is, a big deal, to me at least.

It was interesting to see Mace's podcast this week - the great initiative to involve our former players. That's exactly the right approach, in the same spirit as the 'Brindley, Needham...' thread here. We may live in a consumerist, disposal world now, but football is at its best when it's about community, and creating a family. One day, when most are old and grey, we'll be inviting the class of 2023 back to take their plaudits. But would they want to come if they've been bullied and boo-ed out of the club by an alliance of angry old curmudgeons and spoilt tiktokers? I don't think I would. The unsavoury online ruckus since last Saturday should tell us that it's already gone too far.

We live in a disposable, consumerist world of instant gratification - fast food now! the next tiktok, swipe to the next video. Bad game or run of games? 'Unforgiveable'!! Ged rid, next, next, swipe, swipe. KC is a hero in May, but already a half-eaten KFC to bin by the following March. Not good at all!

It seems like I'm old-fashioned in wanting to follow the fortunes of my football club in this way - by respecting the players and managers who have actually achieved something for us. And that doesn't mean they can't be criticised when it's due. It just seems a lot more sane to me to remember what they've achieved and that they're trying to take that difficult next step up to a higher level.
    It's a fair point, but loyalty is a two way street and Ruben showed that when the grass is greener no matter how good the relationship with the fans - it's all secondary.

I think Cameron is a more than capable squad player. I don't want him as our captain next season, he's an emotional and sensitive man who needs to focus on his performances - let someone else better acclimated to lead have the responsibility.

I think whatever we're looking for this summer we need to get 2 experienced leaders in.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Re: goals conceded being due to our attacking style, yes we did disagree because I said that some of them were down to the style but a lot of them were down to our defenders.

You are going to absolutely hate this, but I would say
    Maynard coming in has proved my point more than yours. We are still conceding 2 a game even though we are much less kamikaze now. Our wing backs have been told to stop more crosses coming in rather than just jockeying and they generally do that.
    The disagreement then was simply me saying the defence was being exposed by our style of play and formation and you saying they weren't. The posts will be easy enough to find. I was describing teams breaking on and outnumbering us and you said it wasn't the case. It was happening multiple times every game under LW, a nice, and classic, example is at 0:43 below (a similar goal was Dobra's in the final).

It was an obvious observation and it was the first thing Maynard spoke about and tried to eliminate soon after he arrived.

Other points I'd make about this...
    - the best fix would be personnel upgrades. That didn't happen and still hasn't happened. We were crying out for a RCB then. Goalkeeper too.
    - failing that, you have Maynard's tweaks, which did work in reducing these situations and goals conceded from them. But at the cost of blunting our attacking play and still leaving the various other ways we contrive to conceed.
    - If going defensive is off the table, the only other option might be just to embrace the 'we'll score more than you' philosophy
    - exposing the defenders this way made good players look average, average L2 players poor, and poor L2 players look really bad. And we had those. For players used to more of a balance between defence and attack, they will be aware that their reputations will be taking a knock
    - LW should've acknowledged this, to his credit Maynard did so, pretty soon after arriving (don't worry 'Team Out', I'm still very much with you )

All of that is a different debate to the qualities of certain defenders. Of course their individual errors and weaknesses were/are a big part of the problem too. But back then you tried to argue that our backline wasn't being exposed. In a genuine 3-2-4-1, if you can't dominate the ball, pin the opposition back, it will come back to bite you big time. And, sadly, that's exactly what happened to us.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    The disagreement then was simply me saying the defence was being exposed by our style of play and formation and you saying they weren't. The posts will be easy enough to find. I was describing teams breaking on and outnumbering us and you said it wasn't the case. It was happening multiple times every game under LW, a nice, and classic, example is at 0:43 below (a similar goal was Dobra's in the final).

It was an obvious observation and it was the first thing Maynard spoke about and tried to eliminate soon after he arrived.

Other points I'd make about this...
    - the best fix would be personnel upgrades. That didn't happen and still hasn't happened. We were crying out for a RCB then. Goalkeeper too.
    - failing that, you have Maynard's tweaks, which did work in reducing these situations and goals conceded from them. But at the cost of blunting our attacking play and still leaving the various other ways we contrive to conceed.
    - If going defensive is off the table, the only other option might be just to embrace the 'we'll score more than you' philosophy
    - exposing the defenders this way made good players look average, average L2 players poor, and poor L2 players look really bad. And we had those. For players used to more of a balance between defence and attack, they will be aware that their reputations will be taking a knock
    - LW should've acknowledged this, to his credit Maynard did so, pretty soon after arriving (don't worry 'Team Out', I'm still very much with you )

All of that is a different debate to the qualities of certain defenders. Of course their individual errors and weaknesses were/are a big part of the problem too. But back then you tried to argue that our backline wasn't being exposed. In a genuine 3-2-4-1, if you can't dominate the ball, pin the opposition back, it will come back to bite you big time. And, sadly, that's exactly what happened to us.

Morning AC, if I remember correctly it was a while ago now (maybe Sep/Oct?) and I was saying that some of the goals were down to how we played but a lot were mistakes.

Another thing I remember us disagreeing about was you saying the back 3 made mistakes because the three of them had to defend the whole width of the pitch, and I said that happened rarely as there was usually a wing back or a Crowley/Bostock/Palmer scrambling to get back with them.

That's how I remember it but feel free to pull up the threads.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Morning AC, if I remember correctly it was a while ago now (maybe Sep/Oct?) and I was saying that some of the goals were down to how we played but a lot were mistakes.

Another thing I remember us disagreeing about was you saying the back 3 made mistakes because the three of them had to defend the whole width of the pitch, and I said that happened rarely as there was usually a wing back or a Crowley/Bostock/Palmer scrambling to get back with them.

That's how I remember it but feel free to pull up the threads.
    I think you pass the memory test

Scrambling was a best-case scenario at times. Stone/Slocs, Rawlo/Brinds, AB and KC being protected by a line of Azza, Bozzy, MP and JJ, in a higher league, was always going to be fraught. And predicated on us being able to boss games.
    Anyway, NCM going to be fun and interesting over the next few months. So many different opinions about he direction we should go in.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223