+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: ⚽ Match Thread vs. Salford City [EFL L2] 23.03.24

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I wrote my comments last night and this morning without having seen your post above, but we've seen exactly the same thing.

If Stuart Maynard can't get simple calls like that right, then there's no hope for him. He talks about consistency and getting "back to back wins" to build momentum, but then makes decisions that directly kill off any potential momentum he had from the Bradford game.
    I think the whole ground saw that one, Jackal
    Moving JJ to the right isn't the worst part of it. I always hate it when managers come in and have to 're-learn' all the old lessons the previous managers had to learn. While all us fans can do here is groan and say here we go again.

The evidence on Chicks at wing-back isn't in the 2022-23 goal total, as great as that was, it's in the film of every game in our run-in last year, and whenever he's appeared there this season. We all know Chicks is a solid defender, but we also know he doesn't have what it takes to attack L2 defences. It's horrible that we have to see SM learn that during the last throw of the dice to keep our season alive.

which makes you ask 'how is the team picked?'
    will it be just SM and Matt S in private consultation? We get that JOB won't be consulted, but do they get the input of Alves and Weal who know more about the squad's capabilities. LW wouldn't go anywhere near Chicks at wing-back for a home game in L2

I love how Cameron throws his toys out the pram for both their goals even when HE was at fault for both of them Nearly a hatrick of f**k ups from him!!! What on earth was McGoldrick doing near the end??

There needs to be a big clearout this summer including some still under contract.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    You are to textual analysis what SM is to football league management.

That's a failed dissection there, driller. What's the point really? Go on, ask yourself...
    The misreading of 'exposed' in the earlier post told me a lot

FWIW, if anyone's mentoring KC this year they should say that the 'OK' part of his season happened to be a fair run of respectable and solid L2 performances, even with the odd MoM thrown in there. And that for him, in his first full EFL season, is something to build on I think.

Those who want to throw what he's achieved here in the bin, and bury him, are welcome to their Wicker Man vendetta.
    I won't be joining them.
    I don't understand why you are so touchy on this subject. This is not a vendetta. I am not going to leave a horses head on his pillow or boil his pet rabbit. I am a football fan on a football forum saying in a perfectly polite and inoffensive way that I don't think a player is good enough.

Cameron came to us with League 2 experience from a (at the time) promotion rival, and played well as a ball playing defender in a team full to the brim with talent. I personally dont think he did anything superhuman by helping us get promotion - that's what he was brought in to do. He did his job and did it well - well done.

Then if memory serves he stalled on signing a new contract and eventually decided we were worth it (not sure if that was because we increased our offer or interest from other clubs fell away). He got his improved deal (fair play to him) but I don't see where the all this nostalgia and sentiment comes from. For me he is nothing like the talisman figure you describe.

Now he's captain (nominally, because it's JoB who de facto captains the team during games) and a first choice CB in the team with the worst defence in the league. IMO his positioning, pace, decision making under pressure and appetite for physicality have caused us way too many problems this season and his forays forward much less productive.

I cant imagine him ever playing at a higher level or even this one for any length of time as he seemingly doesn't like and isn't very good at defending, which is a much bigger part of the job than when he was cruising last year against much more limited teams. The only thing I rate him for defensively is his heading ability.

Of the undroppables (players who always start when fit) he's probably had the least positive impact on performances and results, again IMO. Why he as captain and one of the first names on the teamsheet should be immune from criticism and given endless chances and time to improve, when everyone else at the club (including owners, recruitment staff, manager and other players) can be commented on just baffles me.

Immune from criticism!?! That's funny - NCM's been a Cameron pile-on for months now. That's why your accusations of wanting to close down criticism won't wash at all.
    You won't find me trying to defend yesterday's performance or the key moments. But I can make sure that NCM has at least 1 voice that tries to give a more rounded appraisal of what the player is and has been for us for the last 3 years.
    Off out, so more later

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    I love how Cameron throws his toys out the pram for both their goals even when HE was at fault for both of them Nearly a hatrick of f**k ups from him!!! What on earth was McGoldrick doing near the end??

There needs to be a big clearout this summer including some still under contract.

I wouldn't say the second was his fault as it wasn't his job to track the runner but its hard to say what he was doing by standing a yard away from the man receiving the ball. He's neither getting tight to their man so he can't chest it exactly where he wants, nor dropping deep. He's just in a kind of limbo. I think he's reluctant to get tight as he doesn't like the physicality and doesn't back himself to recover if he gets rolled.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    I don't understand why you are so touchy on this subject. This is not a vendetta. I am not going to leave a horses head on his pillow or boil his pet rabbit. I am a football fan on a football forum saying in a perfectly polite and inoffensive way that I don't think a player is good enough.

Cameron came to us with League 2 experience from a (at the time) promotion rival, and played well as a ball playing defender in a team full to the brim with talent. I personally dont think he did anything superhuman by helping us get promotion - that's what he was brought in to do. He did his job and did it well - well done.

Then if memory serves he stalled on signing a new contract and eventually decided we were worth it (not sure if that was because we increased our offer or interest from other clubs fell away). He got his improved deal (fair play to him) but I don't see where the all this nostalgia and sentiment comes from. For me he is nothing like the talisman figure you describe.

Now he's captain (nominally, because it's JoB who de facto captains the team during games) and a first choice CB in the team with the worst defence in the league. IMO his positioning, pace, decision making under pressure and appetite for physicality have caused us way too many problems this season and his forays forward much less productive.

I cant imagine him ever playing at a higher level or even this one for any length of time as he seemingly doesn't like and isn't very good at defending, which is a much bigger part of the job than when he was cruising last year against much more limited teams. The only thing I rate him for defensively is his heading ability.

Of the undroppables (players who always start when fit) he's probably had the least positive impact on performances and results, again IMO. Why he as captain and one of the first names on the teamsheet should be immune from criticism and given endless chances and time to improve, when everyone else at the club (including owners, recruitment staff, manager and other players) can be commented on just baffles me.

Very fair comment, can’t argue with a word of it.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Cameron came to us with League 2 experience from a (at the time) promotion rival,.
    That bit's wrong btw. Torquay were from NLS. His previous EFL experience was on short loans. So this is the 1st full season at L2 level.

Immune from criticism!?! That's funny - NCM's been a Cameron pile-on for months now. That's why your accusations of wanting to close down criticism won't wash at all.
    You won't find me trying to defend yesterday's performance or the key moments. But I can make sure that NCM has at least 1 voice that tries to give a more rounded appraisal of what the player is and has been for us for the last 3 years.
    Off out, so more later
    Yeah the criticism has been there for months (make of that what you will) but you also have tried to close down the criticism - the two are not mutually exclusive.

Generally you don't close it down by saying how well he is playing (again make of that what you will) but by using words like vendetta, scapegoat, pile on etc.

That bit's wrong btw. Torquay were from NLS. His previous EFL experience was on short loans. So this is the 1st full season at L2 level.
    You sure about that?

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast