+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: ⚽ Match Thread vs. Salford City [EFL L2] 23.03.24

No scapegoating from me, but his little cameo for the first goal highlights a level of defending which is unacceptable, but seems to have been accepted, by the management and the club.

The point I was trying to make, badly, was that if we continue to accept that standard (whoever it's by), and we continue to play this system, with these type of wing-'backs' *, we can expect to carry on shipping goals.

Cameron is coming increasingly under the spotlight because he's now the weakest link. Macari is looking like a player. Baldwin is Baldwin, but I think his positives outweigh the negatives. Cameron maybe just about gets away with it at LCB if the rest of the first choice team is available and performing, but that's rarely been the case recently.

I don't think he's a 'bad' player but he does not have the defensive attitude to play where he does, in our system, at this level let alone the one above.

* Nemane has improved markedly in the past few games on the defensive front, to my immense surprise.

Okay I've never really rated him (edit - talking about Cameron), but he looks more like a left back (in a four) to me. His problem is that people judge him, understandably but possibly incorrectly, as a 6ft 4 big lad defender when he plays like someone who's 5ft 8.
    Last edited by M0ufMk3; 24-03-2024 at 05:30 PM. Reason: clarification

The way he turned his back and stuck a leg out for their 1st was unbelievable

There's some laughable comments on here and some unjustified scapegoating of certain players on this forum.
    There are also some laughable ratings too given some players plus or minus 0.5 for their performances.
    Having been brought up reading the Sunday People Sports Pages ,with players given 4/10 for a stinker ,6 being average & anything above between 7 &10 for good to outstanding these 2 & 3 scores are childish and pathetic.
    Everyone has an opinion of their favourite and least favourite individuals but true supporters don't undermine individuals , especially during matched.
    It was a different game altogether watching , Stubby , Needham, Kilcline etc and their predecessors.
    The art of tackling has all but been eliminated by complaints from incoming coaches/ managers from Europe. The bonus is more flair and protection for attacking players but some officials think that a non malicious, mistimed tackle attempt , deserves a card.
    Cameron , Chicksen , Baldwin , Nemane are the regular targets on here together with all three GK's.
    Cameron has not been as bad as some people make out either as a LB or CB.
    Checkback Chicksen as he has been called. has played over 200 plus games in the EFL ,mainly as a LB or CB not a wingback . He was a valuable asset last season getting double figure goals and played well until his injury at Donny ,scoring a great volley which was ruled offside.
    Azza has mixed comments on here , again largely undeserved but actual checks back more often than Chicksen !
    Nemane is not a defender shouldn't be defending set pieces and his pace should be used as an outball on the HW line to counter attack quickly.
    As someone has already said Baldwin is Baldwin.
    Reads the game well , heads and tackles but always prone to gaffes . That's why he's playing in League 2.
    Regarding the Salford game , there were also glaring errors of judgement by JOB & Didzy which could and should have cost goals. Pleased that those two were not hung out to dry on here like the other six that I mentioned.
    We are fortunate to have some talented and very honest players at the club who should be supported at every opportunity. Most fans are grateful that criticism is not widely directed at the players on match days.
    Finally , the old saying of Lions led by Donkeys springs to mind.
    Tactical Tinkerman is like many match officials . They all know the Laws and Coaching Manuals but don't really get a feel or understanding of the flows of the game.
    Don't blame the players when they are only playing to instructions.
    Sorry folks if you've got this far . Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    I think Cameron would have made a significantly better lwb than Chicksen, but either way there’s literally no reason why Jodi should be moved from that position. 4 or 5 assists in the last game before the head coach took over.

Maynard has done it again and again for various apparent reasons and it’s obviously never worked.
    Would you be saying this if JJ had scored with the 2 shots he had when on the right? - they were very close!!

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    Would you be saying this if JJ had scored with the 2 shots he had when on the right? - they were very close!!
    That's right
    JJ didn't have his best game but three decent shots and 4 or 5 lovely crosses that we didn't get on the end of

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    If my auntie had testicles etc etc. Jodi’s a great player at this level and he’ll do bits wherever he plays. To take away the creativity when he plays on the left is criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by SinceSept1959 View Post
    There's some laughable comments on here and some unjustified scapegoating of certain players on this forum.
    There are also some laughable ratings too given some players plus or minus 0.5 for their performances.
    Having been brought up reading the Sunday People Sports Pages ,with players given 4/10 for a stinker ,6 being average & anything above between 7 &10 for good to outstanding these 2 & 3 scores are childish and pathetic.
    Everyone has an opinion of their favourite and least favourite individuals but true supporters don't undermine individuals , especially during matched.
    It was a different game altogether watching , Stubby , Needham, Kilcline etc and their predecessors.
    The art of tackling has all but been eliminated by complaints from incoming coaches/ managers from Europe. The bonus is more flair and protection for attacking players but some officials think that a non malicious, mistimed tackle attempt , deserves a card.
    Cameron , Chicksen , Baldwin , Nemane are the regular targets on here together with all three GK's.
    Cameron has not been as bad as some people make out either as a LB or CB.
    Checkback Chicksen as he has been called. has played over 200 plus games in the EFL ,mainly as a LB or CB not a wingback . He was a valuable asset last season getting double figure goals and played well until his injury at Donny ,scoring a great volley which was ruled offside.
    Azza has mixed comments on here , again largely undeserved but actual checks back more often than Chicksen !
    Nemane is not a defender shouldn't be defending set pieces and his pace should be used as an outball on the HW line to counter attack quickly.
    As someone has already said Baldwin is Baldwin.
    Reads the game well , heads and tackles but always prone to gaffes . That's why he's playing in League 2.
    Regarding the Salford game , there were also glaring errors of judgement by JOB & Didzy which could and should have cost goals. Pleased that those two were not hung out to dry on here like the other six that I mentioned.
    We are fortunate to have some talented and very honest players at the club who should be supported at every opportunity. Most fans are grateful that criticism is not widely directed at the players on match days.
    Finally , the old saying of Lions led by Donkeys springs to mind.
    Tactical Tinkerman is like many match officials . They all know the Laws and Coaching Manuals but don't really get a feel or understanding of the flows of the game.
    Don't blame the players when they are only playing to instructions.
    Sorry folks if you've got this far . Rant over.
    I did and it was worth it. Good stuff, especially on the excessive scapegoating and ratings.
    I'm like you - years of checking the Sunday People ratings is ingrained in me. It became the benchmark. Now some throw around 2s and 3s or 8s and 9s depending on which way the odd goal went in a 2-1 scoreline

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    I didn't get it wrong, the way I worded it was slightly ambiguous, that's all.

Why are you hell bent on making this discussion unpleasant?
    And you're such a ray of sunshine, aren't you.
    Where do you think you fall on the spectrum from pleasant to unpleasant?

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    People who make minority points can try to shut down discussion, yes.

Logically there is no reason why that is not possible, and in practice it happens all the time in public discourse.

If people say Cameron isn't very good, tell them why you think he is good. Don't imply they have a vendetta against him, or that he is beyond criticism for sentimental reasons.

Simple as that really.
    I didn't imply they have a vendetta (misrepresentation!), I said very clearly and directly that there's a vendetta.
    The mob mentality on this subject kicked in some time ago here and then a player become fair game for relentless negative posts. It's cowardly, running with the pack of course.

And thanks for trying to write my posts for me, but nah, I'll pass. I'm cool with the points I've made. I'm not, like you, telling others what they should or shouldn't write. I don't expect what I say to have any impact at all. I don't even think about that. But it's good to see many balanced and fair comments on the Cameron thread and sincesept59's post is where I'm at too.

As I've said he's a player with real, tangible achievements at Notts. One of the only players to lift any kind of silverware for us at Wembley in the last 100 years. His achievements don't mean anything? Are we such a 'what have you done for me lately?' fanbase now that actual achievements aren't worth anything? What's the point of trying in the first place then?
    That doesn't mean anyone's 'above criticism' (more misrepresentation there) or a 'talisman' (again!), but it'd be good to see some balance, fairness and application to all players equally.
    It's been a difficult season, and for sure he's struggled with the step up at times - at the start of the season and also recently, but in between and overall he's shown more than enough to prove himself as a L2 player IMO. Whether that's a captain, first teamer, squad player...we'll see going forward.

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast