+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: ⚽ Match Thread vs. Salford City [EFL L2] 23.03.24

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusCole View Post
    Nothing childlike about it. Too many people on this board hate the idea that others disagree with them, you seem to be one of them. It is also one of the aspects of being an adult that you learn from you mistakes, take ownership of them and then develop as a person. Too many players we have won't do that because they are incapable, if they were capable they would have done it.

As for throwing the dummy out of the pram, you seem to be doing that. Are you capable of refuting my points or do you think the insults help prove your point?
    In this post you are being very rational but to use the phrase “ what have you done for me lately” is a phrase I would normally associate with a selfish ‘me me me’ type of person. Perhaps you are not that type of person, I certainly hope so and that it was said out of sheer frustration with the current situation. Perhaps you may wish to clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    In this post you are being very rational but to use the phrase “ what have you done for me lately” is a phrase I would normally associate with a selfish ‘me me me’ type of person. Perhaps you are not that type of person, I certainly hope so and that it was said out of sheer frustration with the current situation. Perhaps you may wish to clarify.
    It wasn't his phrase, he used bold to highlight the phrases he was responding to.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    It wasn't his phrase, he used bold to highlight the phrases he was responding to.
    In response to Aunty Clough he said “football is a results game, it completely is “what have you done for me lately” indicating he agreed with the phrase. Anyway, who invited you to the party!
    Last edited by BanjoPie; 27-03-2024 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    In response to Aunty Clough he said “football is a results game, it completely is “what have you done for me lately” indicating he agreed with the phrase. Anyway, who invited you to the party!
    If you're so triggered by that phrase, for whatever bizarre reason, why are you acting out your regular foot stamping "Let me be daddy and in charge, it's my playhouse" routine on him rather than with the poster who used it in the first place?

Yes just get back to your bottle banjo

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    As much as I'd like to, there's not a lot to take issue with there. The bone I'm picking on this isn't particularly with you (although that's the way it's turned out), but I'd say that your suggestion that his real level is National League North and South is way, way off.

What I will stand by though is that it became too fashionable to slate this particular player. You could say the waters broke on that and it turned into a deluge of copy-cat criticism, which IMO the overall level of performance didn't merit, nor has it been applied equally or proportionally to the rest of the team. And that's without getting into those achievements for the club. Scapegoating is absolutely the word I use to describe it. And look at the unsavoury mess it's all turned into (although I never look at social media myself).

By the way, would you like to revisit the discussion we had well before Maynard.....me saying the back 3 were exposed by the formation and balance of the team, and you saying they weren't. I'd say that's 1 mark to Maynard for at least identifying the problem. Although solving it, to a certain extent (stopping counters on our backline and being outnumbered) hasn't lead to results and created other problems in turn (see Pedro''s posts on this).
    Ok so I'm glad we have found some common ground.

About Cameron's level I said I can't see him staying at League 2 level and that he could struggle in a normal team at NL level. By that I meant that he can do well in a good team at NL level because the focus would be more on his ability on the ball, with teams not able to carry too much of an attacking threat against him.

If he played for let's say a mid table NL team and had to defend a lot against burly quick attackers, I think he would struggle there as well. Basically, more than attributing a level to Cameron I was saying that I just don't think he is a natural defender - to me he doesn't seem to like defending and doesn't seem to have the natural instincts. Baldwin for example also makes a lot of mistakes but seems to relish getting into battles with defenders at least.

Re: goals conceded being due to our attacking style, yes we did disagree because I said that some of them were down to the style but a lot of them were down to our defenders.

You are going to absolutely hate this, but I would say
    Maynard coming in has proved my point more than yours. We are still conceding 2 a game even though we are much less kamikaze now. Our wing backs have been told to stop more crosses coming in rather than just jockeying and they generally do that.

We are protecting the defenders more but the goals keep going in. Not all the errors have been from Cameron, not all of them from defenders/keepers (Crowley's leg dangle and Robertson's yellow card bonanza are mistakes that have changed the course of games not committed by defenders.)

Having said that, just in the SM era we have had Cameron deciding to eschew the new style of blocking crosses with hands behind back and opt to track the flight of the ball with his left hand, making sure to be half a step inside the penalty area for maximum stupidity. That cost us 2 points.

Then his cameo on Saturday

Sorry I fat fingered the send button and can't amend.

To continue the post:

Cameron's cameo on Saturday where his defending for the goal prompted the normally ultra diplomatic Stall to exclaim "Kyle Cameron, what are you doing?" or words to that effect. We can't say that cost us points exactly but it sucked the enthusiasm out of the stadium and turned the atmosphere. He had a couple of other dodgy moments too.

We have also had set pieces against where all the opposition's main aerial threat had to do was trundle round to the back post and head in unmarked.

Not forgetting Slocombe's pirouette or Rawlo coming on to sure up the defence against a physical striker and heading straight into his own net either.

Our back line (including keepers) is just really bad. We have tried to protect them more, but they will find a way to let goals in whatever we do.

That's why we have people who really don't want to criticise the team if they can avoid it, like Stallard and like the new manager, saying the defenders aren't good enough. Whatever people may think of Maynard's ability as a manager, I think he's absolutely right to say we aren't equipped to defend. We need new players in most defensive positions.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Sorry I fat fingered the send button and can't amend.

To continue the post:

Cameron's cameo on Saturday where his defending for the goal prompted the normally ultra diplomatic Stall to exclaim "Kyle Cameron, what are you doing?" or words to that effect. We can't say that cost us points exactly but it sucked the enthusiasm out of the stadium and turned the atmosphere. He had a couple of other dodgy moments too.

We have also had set pieces against where all the opposition's main aerial threat had to do was trundle round to the back post and head in unmarked.

Not forgetting Slocombe's pirouette or Rawlo coming on to sure up the defence against a physical striker and heading straight into his own net either.

Our back line (including keepers) is just really bad. We have tried to protect them more, but they will find a way to let goals in whatever we do.

That's why we have people who really don't want to criticise the team if they can avoid it, like Stallard and like the new manager, saying the defenders aren't good enough. Whatever people may think of Maynard's ability as a manager, I think he's absolutely right to say we aren't equipped to defend. We need new players in most defensive positions.
    I think the vast majority of Notts supporters agree with your last paragraph.

Of course, all pretty obvious to most.
    Still thinking Maynard tactics team selection lack of motivation skills he's out his depth.
    As I posted in another thread a Luke or jimbo team would have thrashed garbage like Salford

This game on ifollow in UK?

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast