+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Straw poll: Maynard in or out?

Quote Originally Posted by BenFostersGloves View Post
    Steve Evans - dear me. I wouldn't want him anywhere near Wrexham. Remember when he was Boston manager when they were in L2? He was up to his neck in all sorts of dodgy dealings allegedly.

You might have to abandon this style of play thing to get results and get to League One. I don't see how you can do it in this league without spending a fortune first and foremost to get the players capable and even then the teams you play just won't let you do it like they did in the NL. Plus the pitches turn into cow pastures from October to March/April making it even more difficult.

I don't see why you couldn't get the Crewe manager, he's done well and they're always telling anyone and everyone who'll listen about how low their budget is.

I'm not convinced Maynard is in danger of getting sacked anytime soon though. Might be completely wrong but I just don't think its on the cards until at least Christmas. Your owners will want to give him a fair chance despite what's happened this season.
    100% - it's a shame it takes someone not connected to following Notts to talk sense.

Well said BFG.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    Nailed it !!!
    Yeah, super post from Jackal

When you're in danger of losing your mind over notts jackal is the go to poster for a piece of sanity 🤪

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    Separate interview on Radio Nottingham with SM today. He’s basically saying individual errors are costing us, need to recruit more physicality in the summer and not spoke to owners about performances.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p001d76w
    I think specifically that he said that nobody from above has spoken to him about the 5 consecutive defeats. I would assume it to be ridiculous that he has not been talked to at all given his performance. If you appointed a shop manager and you had no takings for five Saturdays on the bounce, I am sure that any owner would ask questions. Also, if he is right, then that isn't good for him either. People in new jobs do generally get feedback. Maybe Bros are good at looking at data but not people?

Some sensible posts again especially from Jackal as per normal.
    Like all true fans who want their team to be successful the manager/ coach is only relevant to performances and results.
    When points are being accumulated performances
    are secondary to tactics and entertainment.
    So far ,SM has not managed to achieve either at ML and his constant tactical tinkering and perceived lack of
    " empathy or understanding" for the way games are unfolding has been a factor.
    As much as it pains me to admit , I went to watch Florist U 21's at Eastwood CFC last night , in a Notts Senior Cup Tie.
    Everyone one of the U21's despite different statures were very , very , comfortable with the ball and moved it quickly and positively at every opportunity. A couple of them being particularly outstanding as was noted by an EFL Academy Director I was speaking to.
    I know it was only Eastwood CFC and the Florist U 21's aren't doing very well in Premier 2 tables either , but the ethics and style were first class.
    Mr.Maynard & Co could certainly learn from watching them. It seems that statistics and videos ate a more important factor these days and managers/ coaches actually scouting at matches themselves is a thing of the past.

** are *

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    In a sense it's true, but I'm not buying it as an excuse.

"Individual errors" has been a go-to quote for many managers under pressure over the years. Most goals come from individual errors if you think about it, be they minor or major, and it's an easy way to lay off your own responsibility as a manager.

The biggest "individual error" against Salford was Stuart Maynard's own, moving Jodi Jones to the wrong side of the field where he's clearly less comfortable and effective, and that affected the attacking balance and confidence of the whole team in the first half. I think when players aren't confident in the roles they've been given and the way they're set up, that's when "individual errors" tend to creep in.

To be fair I don't think the players have stopped trying/playing for SM, but I don't get the impression they believe in him, whereas they seemed to hang on Luke Williams' every word.

We'll see how SM gets on this weekend. Last Saturday was a tipping point in my opinion of whether he's a good manager who has just had a tough start, or a flawed manager who just hasn't really got it, and I'm now of the latter opinion.

That said, the owners are giving him every chance and for that reason so will I. I've never gone into a Notts game wanting us to lose or wanting a manager to fail, and now's no different. I wish Stuart Maynard the best but fear the worst is probably the most accurate way to describe where I am right now.
    Tbf Jones had previously played on the right a lot and I’ve definitely heard an interview around when he signed that he liked to cut in off the right. I think he played on the right when he scored a hatrick against us.

I honestly don’t know the issue, is the attack blunted now he’s tried to balance us getting counter attacked, have the players just not got over LW, do players think he’s not up to it? or is it a case of all 3? It’s hard to fathom when you see complete performances likes Newport and Bradford away.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    I think you were missing the point UTM. I'm not saying he wasn't cheap , he might well have been the cheapest manager around. I think they primarily went for him because they felt he had the best attributes and potential to become the Manager of NCFC. I don't think his wages were pivotal in his appointment at any stage during the talks?.
    I was missing the point.
    If you're right, and we're accepting the assertion that we have the 10th best budget in L2, then we're meant to believe that we could have afforded to poach any manager from the National League, any manager from more than half of clubs in L2, plus any currently out of work of lower L1 down to NL standard, also abroad (roughly lower 1st tier Swedish league standard) plus any assistant managers or coaches up to L1 or even tier 2 who might fancy stepping into the primary rule, and that out of those dozens and dozens and dozens of potential candidates, Stuart Maynard is better than ALL of them, every single one. Money was not the issue, he just stands out as the very very best.
    If we're factoring in playing style narrowing the field, then are we actually saying, out of all of those clubs up and down the country, and abroad, Notts have the most in common with part time Wealdstone?

Bloody hell. This is worse than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I was missing the point.
    If you're right, and we're accepting the assertion that we have the 10th best budget in L2, then we're meant to believe that we could have afforded to poach any manager from the National League, any manager from more than half of clubs in L2, plus any currently out of work of lower L1 down to NL standard, also abroad (roughly lower 1st tier Swedish league standard) plus any assistant managers or coaches up to L1 or even tier 2 who might fancy stepping into the primary rule, and that out of those dozens and dozens and dozens of potential candidates, Stuart Maynard is better than ALL of them, every single one. Money was not the issue, he just stands out as the very very best.
    If we're factoring in playing style narrowing the field, then are we actually saying, out of all of those clubs up and down the country, and abroad, Notts have the most in common with part time Wealdstone?

Bloody hell. This is worse than I thought.
    If Williams had turned out rubbish you would have said the same, his only first team management experience was getting Swindon relegated and I think he was actually out of work at the time we got him.
    Doesn’t matter where he came from it’s wether he has the minerals to do the job, countless managers fail at certain clubs with brilliant cvs and countless managers succeed at clubs with limited cvs.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    If Williams had turned out rubbish you would have said the same, his only first team management experience was getting Swindon relegated and I think he was actually out of work at the time we got him.
    Doesn’t matter where he came from it’s wether he has the minerals to do the job, countless managers fail at certain clubs with brilliant cvs and countless managers succeed at clubs with limited cvs.

If Fullarton had turned out great, he wouldn't have been driven out of the club. A manager being either good or bad does tend to sway fans thinking one way or the other.

LW had 75 games worth of experience in L1 and dropped down two levels from that experience, as well as coaching at Brighton and Bristol City. Comparing Maynard to LW was silly on the day he was appointed, it's even more risible now.

We've already had the "name the other managers who've succeeded at this level with a CV comparable to Maynard's" discussion. Tumbleweed until somebody had a go with Northampton, but IIRC that was taken apart as a flawed example.

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast