+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Straw poll: Maynard in or out?

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    Can't for the life of me think of any other reason than he was a low cost to the club gamble. Yes, his philosophy was the same as LW, so that must have ticked a box, but his lack of experience should have been a flashing alarm (no disrespect to the man at all, kudos for giving it a shot!!). I am genuinely disappointed that it doesn't seem to have worked out.
    I actually feel sorry for him, I really wanted it to work and it was always going to be difficult for him but we all expected better than 8 points in 12 matches. It needs to end at the end of this season.

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    Can't for the life of me think of any other reason than he was a low cost to the club gamble. Yes, his philosophy was the same as LW, so that must have ticked a box, but his lack of experience should have been a flashing alarm (no disrespect to the man at all, kudos for giving it a shot!!). I am genuinely disappointed that it doesn't seem to have worked out.
    I didn’t/don’t want SM to fail because it means/meant that Notts fail, so to see us slump into a side that is getting the results of a relegation bound side is a shame and disappointing.

I thought after Accrington and Bradford away that we may have turned a corner. It may turn out that Salford was the step back after two step forwards if we can beat Swindon and MK Dons over Easter or go unbeaten at least. Salford then turns into one defeat in five so seems a lot better. What we don’t want is a new club record number of defeats becoming six on Easter Monday. That would be depressing if it isn’t enough already that we’ve equaled it.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    I didn’t/don’t want SM to fail because it means/meant that Notts fail, so to see us slump into a side that is getting the results of a relegation bound side is a shame and disappointing.

I thought after Accrington and Bradford away that we may have turned a corner. It may turn out that Salford was the step back after two step forwards if we can beat Swindon and MK Dons over Easter or go unbeaten at least. Salford then turns into one defeat in five so seems a lot better. What we don’t want is a new club record number of defeats becoming six on Easter Monday. That would be depressing if it isn’t enough already that we’ve equaled it.
    I think you will find that from 5.00 Monday evening there will be a new unwanted record of home defeats.. If he is still here after that, then watch the attendances plummet..

We'll see, I'll go down Monday more of habbit than expectation, just can't see him turning this around near or long term

Separate interview on Radio Nottingham with SM today. He’s basically saying individual errors are costing us, need to recruit more physicality in the summer and not spoke to owners about performances.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p001d76w

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I can't imagine any manager of any club higher in the pyramid than Wealdstone would have been demanding higher wages and compensation, he was literally part time and for that reason it's doubtful he was able to afford an agent able to intimidate clubs into paying over the odds either.

Any agent worth his fee, if he had one, would have made sure Notts committed long term with no easy swift get out clause over the fact he was taking a massive risk in giving up his day job, you'd think that would have been their best and most risk free bargaining tool, with Notts then offering less in terms of longer term bonuses in return, thinking they were on to a good deal in the expectation he would deliver - just as their stats told them he would.

It could be that Maynard happens to be well connected agent wise, or is highly skilled at doing deals himself, or was able to find somebody new to represent him for this purpose on a no win no fee type of basis, but looking from the outside and from what we know (the rumour that he has months), I'd guess Maynard was about as cheap an appointment as you could possibly get without stooping down to tier 6 or lower.
    I think you were missing the point UTM. I'm not saying he wasn't cheap , he might well have been the cheapest manager around. I think they primarily went for him because they felt he had the best attributes and potential to become the Manager of NCFC. I don't think his wages were pivotal in his appointment at any stage during the talks?.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    I think you were missing the point UTM. I'm not saying he wasn't cheap , he might well have been the cheapest manager around. I think they primarily went for him because they felt he had the best attributes and potential to become the Manager of NCFC. I don't think his wages were pivotal in his appointment at any stage during the talks?.
    I agree, they wanted someone up and coming, who plays expansive football and gets the best of what he has, which tbf he was doing at Wealdstone.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    Separate interview on Radio Nottingham with SM today. He’s basically saying individual errors are costing us
    In a sense it's true, but I'm not buying it as an excuse.

"Individual errors" has been a go-to quote for many managers under pressure over the years. Most goals come from individual errors if you think about it, be they minor or major, and it's an easy way to lay off your own responsibility as a manager.

The biggest "individual error" against Salford was Stuart Maynard's own, moving Jodi Jones to the wrong side of the field where he's clearly less comfortable and effective, and that affected the attacking balance and confidence of the whole team in the first half. I think when players aren't confident in the roles they've been given and the way they're set up, that's when "individual errors" tend to creep in.

To be fair I don't think the players have stopped trying/playing for SM, but I don't get the impression they believe in him, whereas they seemed to hang on Luke Williams' every word.

We'll see how SM gets on this weekend. Last Saturday was a tipping point in my opinion of whether he's a good manager who has just had a tough start, or a flawed manager who just hasn't really got it, and I'm now of the latter opinion.

That said, the owners are giving him every chance and for that reason so will I. I've never gone into a Notts game wanting us to lose or wanting a manager to fail, and now's no different. I wish Stuart Maynard the best but fear the worst is probably the most accurate way to describe where I am right now.
    Last edited by jackal2; 28-03-2024 at 01:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    In a sense it's true, but I'm not buying it as an excuse.

"Individual errors" has been a go-to quote for many managers under pressure over the years. Most goals come from individual errors if you think about it, be they minor or major, and it's an easy way to lay off your own responsibility as a manager.

The biggest "individual error" against Salford was Stuart Maynard's own, moving Jodi Jones to the wrong side of the field where he's clearly less comfortable and effective, and that affected the attacking balance and confidence of the whole team in the first half. I think when players aren't confident in the roles they've been given and the way they're set up, that's when "individual errors" tend to creep in.

To be fair I don't think the players have stopped trying/playing for SM, but I don't get the impression they believe in him, whereas they seemed to hang on Luke Williams' every word.

We'll see how SM gets on this weekend. Last Saturday was a tipping point in my opinion of whether he's a good manager who has just had a tough start, or a flawed manager who just hasn't really got it, and I'm now of the latter opinion.

That said, the owners are giving him every chance and for that reason so will I. I've never gone into a Notts game wanting us to lose or wanting a manager to fail, and now's no different. I wish Stuart Maynard the best but fear the worst is probably the most accurate way to describe where I am right now.

Nailed it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1955pie View Post
    If we could choose and the only options were Maynard or Burchnall, which way would you go?
    Steve Thompson.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast