+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Straw poll: Maynard in or out?

I would still give him until the end of the season just to see what he does without any real pressure. But I cannot see it working out at all. The only result that impressed me was newport away. He can take Chicksen Warner and Cameron with him as well plus quite a few more. My concern is how are we going to off load all these not good enough players on 2 year deals? It is quite a big list. overall I think the squad issues are actually bigger than the manager issue.

I honestly don't know what I would do if I had my finger on the big red sacking button.

For sure it hasn't worked out as planned, the points tally tells us that. He can point to some decent performances where we didn't get anything, and like yesterday some meh performances where we didn't deserve to win but didn't deserve to lose either.

He can also point to a really ridiculous amount of individual **** ups by players which have played a huge part.

However, this is a valid excuse for the odd game here and there, while it seems to be happening to us almost every game.

Also on the negative side there is also the fact that even if we do put a run together at this point in the season it's too late to mean anything. There's a risk of 'Kiwomya syndrome' where we string a few wins together in end of season dead rubbers and then start next season badly.

The only thing I would caution against is thinking we get rid of SM and everything goes back to the glory days of September/October. I don't think it does.

I think we were starting to struggle towards the end of LW's reign. Yes, 5-0, I know, but the points tally for LW's last few games was not good and we had a lot of the problems that are killing us now - individual meltdowns, struggling to get going against man-marking. I remember the infinite defensive passing triangle of doom (I know now we have the same thing followed by, for better or worse, a hoof forward). I remember people saying LW had no plan B and we were too soft.

People talk about JoB but his game, great fun though it was, had us conceding 5 to Grimbsy who are poor. We needed to hang on about a minute and a half for the three points and we couldn't do it. This group of players has some huge limitations.

For me it's a coin toss. I'm glad I don't have to make the decision to be honest. If a good alternative becomes available though, I think we do need to give it serious thought.

I'm not in the out camp, but I'd give him until the summer to on the off chance something changes. I just think we can't risk relegation next season.

Then get someone with more relevant experience in. I like the look of Scott Lindsey at Crawley or Pete Wild at Barrow. Don't for the cheap option again. We need a leader.
    Last edited by slack_pie; 24-03-2024 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    My concern is how are we going to off load all these not good enough players on 2 year deals? It is quite a big list. overall I think the squad issues are actually bigger than the manager issue.
    I completely agree with that.

Is he still in the building? Look, sorry, here's the way out.

I would still give him until the end of the season just to see what he does without any real pressure. But I cannot see it working out at all. The only result that impressed me was newport away. He can take Chicksen Warner and Cameron with him as well plus quite a few more. My concern is how are we going to off load all these not good enough players on 2 year deals? It is quite a big list. overall I think the squad issues are actually bigger than the manager issue.
    What is the point in keeping someone who tactically inept, and is very likely to have a huge effect on season ticket sales. If he is still around next season then the odds of us getting relegated will be very high..

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I'm not in the out camp, but I'd give him until the summer to on the off chance something changes. I just think we can't risk relegation next season.

Then get someone with more relevant experience in. I like the look of Scott Lindsey at Crawley or Pete Wild at Barrow. Don't for the cheap option again. We need a leader.
    Nothing will change, it is very clear that he doesn't have the passion or the required skills to manage us, or the required coaching badge. We may aswell cut our losses and begin the process of building for next season, with a new man at the helm as soon as poss...

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post

We need a leader who will influence recruitment during the whole of the close season. It's going to be a tester for the Bros.

My concern is how are we going to off load all these not good enough players on 2 year deals? It is quite a big list. overall I think the squad issues are actually bigger than the manager issue.
    No, don't agree at all. The squad is a lot better than the 33pt 46-game relegation pace SM has put us on.
    If we take an axe to the squad but leave the Head Coach in place then we'd be well-advised to check out our relegation odds for next season

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    No, don't agree at all. The squad is a lot better than the 33pt 46-game relegation pace SM has put us on.
    If we take an axe to the squad but leave the Head Coach in place then we'd be well-advised to check out our relegation odds for next season
    There have been a few recruitment decisions in recent times that haven't worked, but you will get that at any club. Pretty much ALL our signings were like that under previous regimes!

The worst you could say about our recruitment in the past year is it's been patchy. The last two signings - Robertson and Jatta - actually look very capable, and nobody would argue that Crowley was a bad acquisition. The majority of our squad were good signings relative to the level at the time, and I agree our current squad is capable of more than Stuart Maynard is getting out of it.

Two things we need in the summer in my opinion are:

1. A manager/head coach who we can believe in as we head into next season - SM isn't that; and

2. A real focus on recruiting solid defensive players, including two dominant centre halves. I think if we added a couple of Aden Flint types to either play together or give us competition/cover for that role, then it would address a glaring weakness that (e.g.) Baldwin and Cameron cannot address. Indeed, it might just be that if Baldwin or Cameron played alongside a more dominant centre-half who can do the things they can't - the classic stopper and stylist combo - then Aden and Kyle will be 'freed' to showcase the skills they do have, albeit they do still need to improve markedly (literally!) on their defensive abilities by some way.
    Last edited by jackal2; 24-03-2024 at 02:18 PM.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast