+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Southgate Out

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I only watched highlights of the Belgium match but I thought we looked decent going forward.

But dear oh dear, our defence!

Pickford and Dunk wouldn’t get in my old Sunday side with their howlers tonight.

We need our best 11 on the pitch for the Euros, too many of these squad fillers are not up to the job, especially the defenders.

Well played Bowen and young Mainoo though, that kid looks very promising.

The sooner we get Henderson back in the better though, we don’t want to risk finding another young gem.
    Watched both games and England certainly showed more intent last night than they did against Brazil where-to use your own words-they looked like they played too much with the handbrake on. I felt that there were some good performances and some very good passages of play, especially going forward where they played with more freedom than in the Brazil match. Bellingham (despite a few uncharacteristic errors) is a joy to watch but agree that Bowen played well and Mainoo looks very promising.

I know that clangers from Pickford and Dunk led to their goals but it does feel like forever now that England are good going forward but cannot replicate this quality defensively. We make too many errors at the back and whilst we can get away with some of these against lesser teams, the likes of Brazil and Belgium amongst others will punish us for it. Luckily, Bellingham managed to spare too many blushes in the end but if we are to find success in any international tournament this weakness needs sorting. Not sure if the problem lies more with individuals (whilst Maguire makes too many errors and neither Chilwell nor Dunk convince me , Walker and Stones generally look pretty solid) or tactics (playing out from the back always demands greater quality and awareness)?

As an aside, I didn't catch any of the Republic of Ireland match but they clearly struggled to get into the game and that included Mikey Johnston who was subbed at 57 minutes. He clearly has talent and the set up at Albion and how Corberan uses him obviously suits him but he seems to struggle elsewhere. Is he one of those players who can only really shine in a particular set up ?

England played well against a very classy footballing team. Friendlies are all about trying out new players and strategies, but you could clearly see the respect they both had for each other. Really enjoyed the game and we deserved at least a draw. We are missing game changing players though but they are first choice when fit. We’re up there with the best and I didn’t think I’d be saying that in my lifetime.

Bowen by the way was phenomenal last night, reminded me of one of the past French wingers (can’t think of his name but he had a scarred face and was a real handful) Seriously looked like one of the best players on the pitch. Would definitely take him to the Euros.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    Bowen by the way was phenomenal last night, reminded me of one of the past French wingers (can’t think of his name but he had a scarred face and was a real handful) Seriously looked like one of the best players on the pitch. Would definitely take him to the Euros.
    Franck Ribery.

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    Franck Ribery.
    That’s him, thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)