+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brindley,Needham ,Stubbs,Worthington

Quote Originally Posted by Thordardaughter View Post
    The first team I remember and memorised and can still recite today was

Brown
    Brindley
    Worthington
    Masson
    Needham
    Stubbs
    Nixon
    Randall
    Bradd
    Carter
    Carlin

Oh to have that defence today
    I honestly couldn't name the team that I watched on Saturday but I remember that side well. Stevie Carter lived in Stoke Bardolph & I would often meet him in Netherfield, although he & Wee Willie were 2 of my all time favourites the side that slides of my tongue easiest is the same but with these 2 replaced by Probert & Mann. Happy Days. COYP

Quote Originally Posted by Thordardaughter View Post
    The first team I remember and memorised and can still recite today was

Brown
    Brindley
    Worthington
    Masson
    Needham
    Stubbs
    Nixon
    Randall
    Bradd
    Carter
    Carlin

Oh to have that defence today
    I would prefer the whole team. No fancy twinkle toed dans in there...

Regrettably before my time, but going by John Bond's numerous comments in the press at least circa 70-72, Notts were a very nasty piece of work at the back and I would have loved that.

Defenders were allowed to defend in those days and the 1970s was the golden age for that position before the rules were gradually changed, largely under pressure of increased Television coverage in the 1980s that demanded more goals and TV commentators and pundits pressuring officials to do more to protect skilful players - more often than not ex-forwards such as Jimmy Hill, George Best, Ian St John, Trevor Brooking, Brian Clough etc who had been on the receiving end, rather than the type who dished it out. You very rarely got to hear much on TV from the Norman Hunter's and Ron Harris's of this world making the counter argument and highlighting the beauty and skill of a hard firm crunching tackle and the satisfaction of taking out some fancy Dan show off.

Bob did get some stick but I remember he turned the corner and became a cornerstone in that back line.

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    Bob did get some stick but I remember he turned the corner and became a cornerstone in that back line.
    On Magpie Circle Worthington recalls giving the County Road stand the V sign when he scored his one and only goal v Rotherham, a last gasp equaliser.

Not many mentions for big Dave Watson.

Dave Watson left Notts in 1967. He was not a regular in the first team and only made 25 appearances, the majority as a forward.

I started watching Notts in 1956, and after years of mediocrity, the early 1970s were a great time to be a supporter. Although we've had the likes of Pedro Richards, Tommy Johnson, Mark Draper, Lee Hughes etc since, that 1970/71 side remains "my team", with Tony Hateley leading the line.

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    I started watching Notts in 1956, and after years of mediocrity, the early 1970s were a great time to be a supporter. Although we've had the likes of Pedro Richards, Tommy Johnson, Mark Draper, Lee Hughes etc since, that 1970/71 side remains "my team", with Tony Hateley leading the line.
    1959/60 wasn't bad, 107 goals and bounce straight back to third tier. The following season showed promise for a while then I'm not sure what happend but a couple of seasons later our best assets got sold off and another period of rot set in.

We should be experts at getting out of the quagmire but we seem even better at getting into it

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    Dave Watson left Notts in 1967. He was not a regular in the first team and only made 25 appearances, the majority as a forward.
    I know. But a no-nonsense CH when he played there.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast