+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Our team compared to 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Piessince67 View Post
    Well if you think that Macca was better than Hughesy then you must be on the magic mushrooms.
    He’s scored more goals in a lot less games. He’s definitely better than Rodgers - the disrespect on Langstaff is unreal! Jones would also be a certain starter, as would Palmer. The two teams couldn’t be more different in terms of styles, but to disregard the top scorer and player with most assists in the entire EFL is a complete nonsense.

Crowley has 15 goals from midfield too so would be in with a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Piessince67 View Post
    How many of our current team gets into that one.Not sure any do.Is Jodi Jones better than Ben Davies ,i dont think so.Macca better than Luke Rogers ,umm not sure about that either .If you agree with me that the 2010 was far superior then it shows how far we have to go.
    JJ would get in, not at the expense of Ben Davies though.

The big question is would Kasper sneak in ahead of Slocombe, Stone or LAH?

What a strange thread. At least Macca hasn't killed anybody.

That was a brilliant team, and there was no on better at free kicks than Ben Davies.. We also had a cracking midfield of Ravenhill and Bishop, The present team is not a patch on that side, due to our soft under belly..

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    That was a brilliant team, and there was no on better at free kicks than Ben Davies.. We also had a cracking midfield of Ravenhill and Bishop, The present team is not a patch on that side, due to our soft under belly..
    Absolutely they run circles round our current team

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Are you for real? Davies was better for set pieces but no way was he better than Jodi Jones, you've been on the good stuff. Langstaff is also far better than Luke Rogers, I'd even go as far to say he's better than Hughes when on form.

Players who'd get in that side

Jones, better than Davies
    Palmer, better than Ravenhill
    Nemane, better than Westcarr
    Langstaff, better than Rogers

And if I want to be really controversial
    Langstaff, better than Hughes
    Scott, better than Rogers
    Sorry but there's no way Langstaff is better than Hughes. I love Macca, but Hughes was on a completely different level in virtually all areas of his game. Hughes is pretty much the best striker we've had outside the top flight.

I'd also argue that Westcarr was better, or at least not worse, than Nemane. He was an excellent crosser of the ball and scored double figures.

Always tricky to compare teams from different eras as football has changed so much, but that Munto side was strong in every area and had a manager who knew how to get us playing as a team. Jones would get in the Munto team as he's head and shoulders above most L2 wingers. Macca is a better goal scorer than Rogers, so maybe he'd get in, and Palmer is obviously a better player than Ravenhill, although we'd lose some bite.

Oh for a defender like Graeme Lee today.

What a strange thread. I don’t think any of the 2009/2010 side get in ahead anyone in the 91-92 season. An equally pointless comparison.
    That side in 2010 was a damn good side with plenty of quality players, bought in with Monopoly money.
    Hughes was at the end of his career and on the way down, Langstaff is in the middle of his career and appears to be going up. Would Langstaff have scored 25-30 goals in that 2010 side? Would Hughes do the same in the current squad? We all know scoring goals in the current squad hasn’t been an issue.
    If we had the 2010 defence now, would we be any better off? Could they have played the way that’s being asked?
    Essentially we are comparing 2 sides from separate football generations, one that won the league with one that is languishing in the bottom half. 2 sides with polar opposites in footballing philosophies.

The only comparison that counts is the 2010 team was badly under performing like the present team until a decent manager came in

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Sorry but there's no way Langstaff is better than Hughes. I love Macca, but Hughes was on a completely different level in virtually all areas of his game. Hughes is pretty much the best striker we've had outside the top flight.

I'd also argue that Westcarr was better, or at least not worse, than Nemane. He was an excellent crosser of the ball and scored double figures.

Always tricky to compare teams from different eras as football has changed so much, but that Munto side was strong in every area and had a manager who knew how to get us playing as a team. Jones would get in the Munto team as he's head and shoulders above most L2 wingers. Macca is a better goal scorer than Rogers, so maybe he'd get in, and Palmer is obviously a better player than Ravenhill, although we'd lose some bite.

Oh for a defender like Graeme Lee today.
    Was Hughes better than Langstaff though? Hughes scored 30 goals in the 09/10 season, Langstaff in a less dominant team has scored 25, same level. They're different players but on goal scoring record, Langstaff is beating out Hughes just at the moment.

Westcarr had the security of having a competent right back behind him. Nemane is also having to get back to defend and is creating lots and has a fair few goals himself. It's not an easy win for Nemane, it's close but I think he shades it, certainly worth the conversation about it most definitely.

Hughes that season even though into his 30s was way above Macca and that’s not a dig at him, I think he could have easily played Championship that season. We had a really good experienced defence that had played at a higher level and as the season went on it was clear Kasper was championship level too. Then you had a really leader in Bishop and he wasn’t on his own.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast