+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Our team compared to 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Piessince67 View Post
    Macca better than Luke Rogers
    Rodgers one and only season at Notts, 13 in 46. Macca's first season, 42 in 48 so a world apart. The question should be is he better than Hughes, maybe not. Hughes was a bit of a dirty player but got results.

Better defenders and a world class keeper that we couldn't afford is the massive difference.

Quite an enjoyable thread. Macca and Hughes totally different players but Hughes a far superior player to Macca as his all round game offered a lot lot more. Not one single current defender would even make the bench in the 2010 team. Jones and Palmer would make the team I think. Jatta could replace Delroy on the bench. I hope he is doing ok now as I assume he has served his sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by SinceSept1959 View Post
    We certainly had a far superior manager.
    Better goal keepers , better defenders and Hughsey and Rogers up front.
    The gates that season were far inferior to those this season , which is why it was so ***** to maintain forward momentum.
    Jodi Jones would certainly have made the team and Macc would have been a very good substitute.
    Not until Cotterill came in with 18 games to go. Up until then we where hanging around often in and outside the play-offs. McParland was absolutely useless, always had been. Gawd knows how he lasted so long that season. Even I could have got us promoted that season

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    Not until Cotterill came in with 18 games to go. Up until then we where hanging around often in and outside the play-offs. McParland was absolutely useless, always had been. Gawd knows how he lasted so long that season. Even I could have got us promoted that season
    Because he knew the real situation and needed to be kept onside?

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    That was a brilliant team, and there was no on better at free kicks than Ben Davies.. We also had a cracking midfield of Ravenhill and Bishop, The present team is not a patch on that side, due to our soft under belly..
    Whilst both teams are completely different styles of football the difference for me is the amount of spoilers we had in the team. The balance between creativity with the ball and the ability to win the ball back or destroy the oppositions play was just right.

With our current team we all know and can see the defensive aspect is not title winning level. The goals and creativity is or was pre 2024.

You need that solid spine to the team and we don’t have it. Kasper, Lea, Edward’s, Ravenhill, Bishop, Hughes and Roger’s were the spine. The defenders and central midfielders were the destroyers.

For me Crowley, Palmer, Jones and Langstaff would get in that league two title winning team. Didzy would as the impact man like Delroy Facey was.

No goalkeeper or defender at the club would get in that team in my opinion because they are not destroyers but technically it could be argued they are better on the ball and in possession.

It was 15 years ago this summer that side was built and whilst football has changed our first season back in the EFL has proven to me you still need that element of being solid at the back and having big strong central defenders and a top goalkeeper if you want to win the title.

My take:

Cotterill beats LW
    Cotterill thrashes SM
    McP scrapes win v LW
    McP draws v SM

I don't see a scenario that the 2010 teams loses against today's team. They were just too solid in just about every area.

Taking this season as a whole, the stats say the current 23/24 team wouldn't beat Thompson's 06/07 Notts.
    Based on Maynard's PPG alone, with him as manager they wouldn't even beat Ardley's 18/19 relegation XI.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Taking this season as a whole, the stats say the current 23/24 team wouldn't beat Thompson's 06/07 Notts.
    Based on Maynard's PPG alone, with him as manager they wouldn't even beat Ardley's 18/19 relegation XI.
    If I remember rightly we had 4 wins in a row in06/07 at this point under Thompson which got us close to the play off spots, they were all 1-0 if I remember rightly, a repeat would probably get us close again.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    If I remember rightly we had 4 wins in a row in06/07 at this point under Thompson which got us close to the play off spots, they were all 1-0 if I remember rightly, a repeat would probably get us close again.
    39. Sat 24 Mar bury W 1-0 N'Toya 40
    40. Sat 31 Mar GRIMSBY TOWN W 2-0 Newey(og)52, Smith 86
    41. Sat 07 Apr BOSTON UTD W 2-0 Lee 11, Somner 70
    42. Mon 09 Apr wrexham W 1-0 Spender(og)88

After game 42 that season we were 10th and 3 points behind the play offs, but we'd go on to take only 2 pts from games 43-46, the play offs being mathematically out of reach after game 45. So we could say Thompson took his promotion battle all the way to the penultimate game of the season.

This Friday is game 40.

Quote Originally Posted by Piessince67 View Post
    Well if you think that Macca was better than Hughesy then you must be on the magic mushrooms.
    Probably on a par with Hughes. Not as clinical but gives more to the team.
    However, on the human being front, there is only one winner. No matter how many goals he scored for Notts, I could never applaud Hughes.. His actions were unforgiveable.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast