+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T Check your Passports if you are visiting the EU.

O/T Check your Passports if you are visiting the EU.

Holidaymakers are being warned not to get caught out by the "passport 10 year rule" which can ruin EU travel plans.
    UK travellers used to be able to carry up to nine months from an old passport over onto a new one. But post-Brexit, EU countries will not accept passports issued more than 10 years ago.
    Home Office data suggests 32 million people had applied for passports that if granted would be over 10 years old.
    Among them is Nathan Barnes who was refused boarding on a flight to France.
    Mr Barnes, a 31-year-old paramedic from Norwich, was on his way to Limoges with his fiancé to visit family.

Mr Barnes seems a bit thick tbh. This was all over the news last year.

Quote Originally Posted by NYSRich View Post
    Mr Barnes seems a bit thick tbh. This was all over the news last year.
    It might have been over there but it wasn't something I was aware of here in the US and is actually applicable to my wife's passport.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    It might have been over there but it wasn't something I was aware of here in the US and is actually applicable to my wife's passport.

Sort it CAM

It's always been 10 years. The only difference is this 9 month extra thing. But if you are travelling with an expired passport you didn't check then that's a you problem.

Quote Originally Posted by fivetide View Post
    It's always been 10 years. The only difference is this 9 month extra thing. But if you are travelling with an expired passport you didn't check then that's a you problem.
    It's nothing to do with an expired passport, it's one that was issued more than 10 years ago because you could (once upon a time) renew your passport 9 months before it's actual renewal date and they would issue it for a 10y 9m period. They no longer do that and if you renew early the expiry is now 10 years from the day it was renewed.

This caught me and Mrs Pup out today. Went to fly to Venice as her 50th birthday prezzie and couldn't fly as the issue date was a week past 10 years ago. Missed lol's heads up on here somehow which would have given us a chance to rush passport through. Anyone due to travel, please heed lol's advice and do what we didn't. Bloody painful if you don't!

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    This caught me and Mrs Pup out today. Went to fly to Venice as her 50th birthday prezzie and couldn't fly as the issue date was a week past 10 years ago. Missed lol's heads up on here somehow which would have given us a chance to rush passport through. Anyone due to travel, please heed lol's advice and do what we didn't. Bloody painful if you don't!
    Sorry to hear this raging

Thanks Lol.

Trying to think of a clear way to explain this. Best way I think is that on your passport you will have an issue date and an expiry date. The only thing that used to matter before we left the EU was the expiry date, you could travel to within 3 months of the expiry date. Now you only need to look at the issue date. You cannot travel into the EU if the issue date is over 10 years ago on the day you travel , even if you have several months left to the expiry date. Please check your passport if going away in the next few months. Only the issue date matters now. Pm me if unclear as found out the hard ****ing way and don't want others to do the same

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Thanks Lol.

Trying to think of a clear way to explain this. Best way I think is that on your passport you will have an issue date and an expiry date. The only thing that used to matter before we left the EU was the expiry date, you could travel to within 3 months of the expiry date. Now you only need to look at the issue date. You cannot travel into the EU if the issue date is over 10 years ago on the day you travel , even if you have several months left to the expiry date. Please check your passport if going away in the next few months. Only the issue date matters now. Pm me if unclear as found out the hard ****ing way and don't want others to do the same
    Sorry to hear about your situation Raging, but thanks for posting this.

I couldn't fully get my head round the op, but I get it now.

Further to this, do you still need at least 6 months on a valid passport?
    Although you mentioned 3 months, I thought it was 6

My passport has a issue date of March 17 2015 and expiry date of August 17 2025

I'm due to go to Brussels in September this year, there and back before 17th,, but only just, so cutting a bit fine.

I think it might be wise to renew before I go, even if I lose 6 months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast