+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Flags on our buildings

Flags on our buildings

Pakistan flag now flying on WEstminster Abbey this Easter weekend , for Pakistan day .
    Luton on their council house are flying the Palastine flag

I’m gonna start flying the “F u c k You” flag on my house.

That’s an image of the world with two fingers through the middle.

That should pretty much cover everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by soulman101 View Post
    Pakistan flag now flying on WEstminster Abbey this Easter weekend , for Pakistan day .
    Luton on their council house are flying the Palastine flag
    Why?

And at the same time an award winning fish and chip shop in London has been asked to remove the Union Jack themed "Great British Fish & Chips" mural by the local council following complaints. Apparently he has already got far more names on a petition to keep the mural ...oh, and I believe the owner himself is Greek.

Only the British/English flag should fly so
    F uck every other nationality! I thought all the Pakistani’s born here were British?

The British flag should be allowed to fly anywhere and everywhere and those that don’t like it can go f uck themselves. In the USA many Americans have the Stars and Stripes flying from their own properties!

Don’t know even why Gaza is news headlines in front of Ukraine. We should not meddle in the Middle East. Let the bro’s from rich Arab countries sort it out!

So Big Ben, now Westminster Abbey which is on the way to the Palace. But he did say he wanted to protect all faiths at his coronation.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    And at the same time an award winning fish and chip shop in London has been asked to remove the Union Jack themed "Great British Fish & Chips" mural by the local council following complaints. Apparently he has already got far more names on a petition to keep the mural ...oh, and I believe the owner himself is Greek.
    The famous ‘following complaints’.. by who exactly?Does make you wonder doesn’t it omeg. I may be wrong in this but I doubt any ethnic minority majority in that given area are going to complain or be offended? This is something that always gets whipped up, maybe by the left and then the right react? Nobody ever complained in the first place. I’d really like to know who complained, because they need to give their head a wobble.

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post
    The famous ‘following complaints’.. by who exactly?Does make you wonder doesn’t it omeg. I may be wrong in this but I doubt any ethnic minority majority in that given area are going to complain or be offended? This is something that always gets whipped up, maybe by the left and then the right react? Nobody ever complained in the first place. I’d really like to know who complained, because they need to give their head a wobble.
    My thoughts exactly Regis! Same as all the replacing Christmas with Winter Festival nonsense. I doubt very much that either were driven by ethnic minorities taking offence but rather by woke white lefties taking offence on their behalf.

At a stretch I can see maybe Islamic extremists, for example, complain simply because they know they might get a reaction from members of a council too soft to refuse because they are petrified of being accused of racism but somehow doubt it.

I'm not naive enough to believe that there are not right-wing groups who use either the St. George's or Union Jack flags as a symbol but they are hi-jacking them for their own ends. Despite any negative historical connotations of the Union flag (through colonialism or the more recent Irish "Troubles" for example) I do not believe that the vast majority of the population feel this way about the nation's flag which represents the country and all those who make it up -regardless of colour or religion.

The flag, ultimately, should be a symbol of unity for the country. No nation can be beyond criticism either for its historical actions or it's dealing with current issues and there may be times of shame as well as pride but if you feel that strongly there is a simple answer-leave. Britain is far from perfect but look around the world today and see if there are many countries that offer better.

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post
    Nail. on. head.

It is possible one or two complaints are received for petty reasons. The problem is this gets amplified by the media. And if the complainant is Muslim, for example, we think this is how every Muslim thinks.

Tensions are stoked, and people get offended.

I bet ofcom get the silliest complaints from all creeds and religions. Its just the press are quick to jump on it and provoke outrage.

Let me tell you, I know many different nationalities and religions living in London. I don't know anyone who has a problem with our flag, our identity, Easter, Christmas etc...Its just BS whipped up by the press.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    Nail. on. head.

It is possible one or two complaints are received for petty reasons. The problem is this gets amplified by the media. And if the complainant is Muslim, for example, we think this is how every Muslim thinks.

Tensions are stoked, and people get offended.

I bet ofcom get the silliest complaints from all creeds and religions. Its just the press are quick to jump on it and provoke outrage.

Let me tell you, I know many different nationalities and religions living in London. I don't know anyone who has a problem with our flag, our identity, Easter, Christmas etc...Its just BS whipped up by the press.

I agree so the government should insist the national flag should fly from every government building ( like the US ) and if one individual is offended ie council etc - then they should resign!

I am sure crackpot Galloway or Khan would endorse the national flag flying on every government building in the area they represent......

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)