+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Racing whippets

O/T Racing whippets

Come on cast your mind back. No embarrassment in this as my family members use to race whippets at what is now, 'The Baggin'.

As a lad in my very early t.eens, I use to go there on a Sunday morning in order to see those that bred and raced their dog, run at the side of the football pitch. My cousin Tony had a bitch and amazingly, I can recall her name which was Suki. I watched in awe as a kid as he fed her raw eggs which she lapped up with glee and a diet of lords no what, as My late uncle Jack over saw the rest of her feed.

It was a big thing back in the day which has nice sadly died of off. Greyhounds and the money is where it is now.

Did anyone on here race whippets or knew anyone that did? It was a big mining thing back in the day all over South Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Come on cast your mind back. No embarrassment in this as my family members use to race whippets at what is now, 'The Baggin'.

As a lad in my very early t.eens, I use to go there on a Sunday morning in order to see those that bred and raced their dog, run at the side of the football pitch. My cousin Tony had a bitch and amazingly, I can recall her name which was Suki. I watched in awe as a kid as he fed her raw eggs which she lapped up with glee and a diet of lords no what, as My late uncle Jack over saw the rest of her feed.

It was a big thing back in the day which has nice sadly died of off. Greyhounds and the money is where it is now.

Did anyone on here race whippets or knew anyone that did? It was a big mining thing back in the day all over South Yorkshire.
    Yes, I lost every time

I can picture it now.

Standing there wearing a flat cap, ferret down my trousers, eating a Yorkshire pudding and watching the whippets race down the cobbled streets, as the music from the Hovis advert was played by a brass band.
    Last edited by great_fire; 28-03-2024 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    I can picture it now.

Standing there wearing a flat cap, ferret down my trousers, eating a Yorkshire pudding and watching the whippets race down the cobbled streets, as the music from the Hovis advert was played by a brass band.
    Ashington Colliery Band

Same Ashington that the Charlton brothers came from

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    I can picture it now.

This was the best version though.....

https://youtu.be/DJi_5T0jSnA?si=7IYXdhWRqa7lTss2

I played one season for Silverwood it was strange having the races right at the side of the pitch . Ironically that was the only time I actually saw whippet racing I didn't even know it was still a thing

This was the best version though.....

https://youtu.be/DJi_5T0jSnA?si=7IYXdhWRqa7lTss2
    Or this one.

They still race them in the north east of England - one breeder I know of in Co Durham has large collection of trophies, rosettes etc won by their Whippets

A friend has two, one of which is used as a trained therapy dog to help disturbed young lads and the other is used to go into care homes