+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT - the US White House race

rA "when neither the UK nor the US elections are likely to be fought on your favourite single issue"

You reckon? Remember Trump's wall from the past? Was that about immigration - I'll let you draw your own conclusions. Was that a vote winner? Very much so, albeit perhaps less so in "marginals". I'm not betting much against it's reappearance on the orange ones agenda this time round.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    rA "when neither the UK nor the US elections are likely to be fought on your favourite single issue"

You reckon? Remember Trump's wall from the past? Was that about immigration - I'll let you draw your own conclusions. Was that a vote winner? Very much so, albeit perhaps less so in "marginals". I'm not betting much against it's reappearance on the orange ones agenda this time round.
    That’s a very fair point, GP…though having seen that particular - or what there is of it - barrier running along the borders between Arizona and Mexico and California and Mexico…and having taken account of the amount actually built during Trump’s presidency, I doubt it has any greater remaining credibility than our very own Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    That’s a very fair point, GP…though having seen that particular - or what there is of it - barrier running along the borders between Arizona and Mexico and California and Mexico…and having taken account of the amount actually built during Trump’s presidency, I doubt it has any greater remaining credibility than our very own Brexit.
    You reackon?
    Trumps wall was before Biden inflicted this misery in its full force on the USA. Opinions have changed and I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to see TRump push this one for all its worth now and get some serious support.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68208637

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post

its something he doesn't want to talk about and wants to do what lots of politicians here do. Pretend it doesn;t exist and folks are fine with it. Even though the facts say, the population are pissed off with it and will be a part of the election. Here and in the states.

IT ALREADY IS IN EUROPE ASK VARADKAR, never mind Denmark/Sweden/Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    its something he doesn't want to talk about and wants to do what lots of politicians here do. Pretend it doesn;t exist and folks are fine with it. Even though the facts say, the population are pissed off with it and will be a part of the election. Here and in the states.

IT ALREADY IS IN EUROPE ASK VARADKAR, never mind Denmark/Sweden/Germany
    Something I ‘don’t want to talk about’? Hang on…have I or have I not contributed to this discussion…and has GP responded to the point I made yesterday evening?

No ‘pretence’ on my part, Tricky. I’m not obsessed with immigration as you are and if you read the ‘small print’ I have never said immigration isn’t an issue…I’ve said that neither the UK or the U.S. elections will be decided on this SINGLE ISSUE no matter how much you would like it to be.

It’s about fourth or fifth on the list of electoral priorities and in case you missed it…Biden won - I know you’re probably still in denial about that - the last election with a promise of abandoning expenditure on ‘the wall’ whereas Trump was still lying about how much he’d done and telling anyone who’d listen that the Mexicans were going to pay for it all…how did that work out?

1. For balance I wasn't backing anyone.

2. I think they are both awful.

https://m.skybet.com/politics/us-pre...ction/26613352
    1. I didn't say you were, you merely pointed out the one sided and well deserved attacks on Trump. I was attempting to redress that lack of balance, not any lack of balance from you.

2. On that point, we can totally agree with each other.

Just to develop the conversation a little, if either Kennedy or Haley won the race to the White House, would there be a lame duck President for 4 years? I would hope that the 2 parties would look at what was being done and vote for what the best for America was. However, I think they'd be very obstructive and virtually shut the US down for 4 years. That would give somebody, anybody, the chance to form a 3rd party and, with any luck, change US politics for the better. Written far more in hope than any expectation...

Something I ‘don’t want to talk about’? Hang on…have I or have I not contributed to this discussion…and has GP responded to the point I made yesterday evening?

No ‘pretence’ on my part, Tricky. I’m not obsessed with immigration as you are and if you read the ‘small print’ I have never said immigration isn’t an issue…I’ve said that neither the UK or the U.S. elections will be decided on this SINGLE ISSUE no matter how much you would like it to be.

It’s about fourth or fifth on the list of electoral priorities and in case you missed it…Biden won - I know you’re probably still in denial about that - the last election with a promise of abandoning expenditure on ‘the wall’ whereas Trump was still lying about how much he’d done and telling anyone who’d listen that the Mexicans were going to pay for it all…how did that work out?
    hahaha

Rubbish. immigration is a top 3 electoral topic, you even tried to play that further down. I supply evidence, you don't. What goes on in your head does not reflect the world. So if I bring immigration to the table, you kick off immediately demanding I start a new thread, so you can ignore it and get back to simply blaming the Tories and Trump for all your woes.

GET USED TO IT, IT'S TOP 3

i PREFER TO LISTEN TO PUBLIC OPINIONS, RATHER THAN THE GUARDIAN OR THINK TANKS.

YOUGOV- left leaning public opinions
    their last major one, end of 2023

Immigration has been creeping up the list of the public’s priorities since early this year. A new wave of our ‘most important issues’ question now finds immigration in second place overall – tied with health on 41%, but behind the economy on 54%.

But is immigration a first tier or second tier issue to the public? Is it something that they’re concerned about, but ultimately the economy is a higher priority? Or is it outright their main concern?

We followed up our standard ‘most important issues’ question – which asks respondents to choose up to three issues – with a second question asking what is the single biggest issue Britons see facing the country.

The economy continues to sit at the top on this question, with 30% of the public saying it is the single most important issue facing the UK today. However, immigration moves into a solitary second place, at 20%, compared to 13% for health.

you being a democrat lover, I can see why you like to ignore immigration.
    Look at the facts, in the USA it is causing more and more discontent, even among the traditional poor ethnic democrat voters. They are the ones who suffer. Perhaps another youtube video will help? You may watch one someday and see it for yourself.

How important is immigration and the border to Americans?
    According to February polling from Gallup, more American adults thought immigration is the most important problem facing the country than other issues -- but that concern was driven mostly by Republicans.

Gallup found that 28% of Americans overall said immigration is the United States' most important problem, up from 20% in January and 9% last August in their polling.

But there has been little movement among Democrats, only 10% of whom cited immigration as the most important problem in February and 9% in January.

By contrast, 57% of Republicans did, up from 37% in Gallup's January polling.

Independents were in the middle: 22% said immigration was the most important problem facing the nation in February, up from 16% in January.

MORE: Trump tops his opponents while Biden hits a new low in approval ahead of Iowa caucus: POLL
    A separate poll by Quinnipiac University released in February found that immigration was the third-ranked most important problem among registered voters -- with 17% of those polled saying it was the most urgent issue -- behind "preserving democracy in the United States" (21% of registered voters) and the economy (20% of registered voters).

When broken down by party, Republicans were more likely than Democrats to say immigration was their choice of top issue. Among Republicans, 35% called it their most urgent issue but only 4% of Democrats did the same, while 16% of independents felt that way.

you being a democrat lover, I can see why you like to ignore immigration.
    Look at the facts, in the USA it is causing more and more discontent, even among the traditional poor ethnic democrat voters. They are the ones who suffer. Perhaps another youtube video will help? You may watch one someday and see it for yourself.

How important is immigration and the border to Americans?
    According to February polling from Gallup, more American adults thought immigration is the most important problem facing the country than other issues -- but that concern was driven mostly by Republicans.

Gallup found that 28% of Americans overall said immigration is the United States' most important problem, up from 20% in January and 9% last August in their polling.

But there has been little movement among Democrats, only 10% of whom cited immigration as the most important problem in February and 9% in January.

By contrast, 57% of Republicans did, up from 37% in Gallup's January polling.

Independents were in the middle: 22% said immigration was the most important problem facing the nation in February, up from 16% in January.

MORE: Trump tops his opponents while Biden hits a new low in approval ahead of Iowa caucus: POLL
    A separate poll by Quinnipiac University released in February found that immigration was the third-ranked most important problem among registered voters -- with 17% of those polled saying it was the most urgent issue -- behind "preserving democracy in the United States" (21% of registered voters) and the economy (20% of registered voters).

When broken down by party, Republicans were more likely than Democrats to say immigration was their choice of top issue. Among Republicans, 35% called it their most urgent issue but only 4% of Democrats did the same, while 16% of independents felt that way.
    So…according to your own figures…72% of US citizens DON’T think immigration is the most important issue.

Concerns about immigration are driven more by Republicans than Democrats…who’d have thought?

78% of ‘independents’ DON’T think immigration is the most important issue.

I rest my case. The U.S. is different from the UK, Tricky…in addition to matters such as the economy, cost of living and healthcare, issues such as gun crime/control and abortion feature in a way which doesn’t resonate over here and, given the behaviour of Trump, they are preoccupied with the future of their democracy, the unity of their country and their role on the world stage in a way that we struggle to comprehend.

P.S. I’m not a ‘Democrat lover’, just feel more comfortable with them than the Republicans and can’t understand why any ‘mainstream’ party would ever want to identify with someone as delusional, dangerous and discredited as Trump.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 29-03-2024 at 06:03 PM.

So…according to your own figures…72% of US citizens DON’T think immigration is the most important issue.

Concerns about immigration are driven more by Republicans than Democrats…who’d have thought?

78% of ‘independents’ DON’T think immigration is the most important issue.

I rest my case. The U.S. is different from the UK, Tricky…in addition to matters such as the economy, cost of living and healthcare, issues such as gun crime/control and abortion feature in a way which doesn’t resonate over here and, given the behaviour of Trump, they are preoccupied with the future of their democracy, the unity of their country and their role on the world stage in a way that we struggle to comprehend.

P.S. I’m not a ‘Democrat lover’, just feel more comfortable with them than the Republicans and can’t understand why any ‘mainstream’ party would ever want to identify with someone as delusional, dangerous and discredited as Trump.
    One word:

C A S H

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)