+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Larry Lloyd

RIP Larry Lloyd

Breaking news.....

Sad to hear RIP

The lack of a response to this news, at least so far, perhaps tells its' own story.

Let's be frank, appointing Larry Lloyd was without doubt one of the biggest mistakes this club has ever made, relegating us out of the top flight after two comfortable seasons of consolidation under Sirrel and Wilkinson and then he was largely responsible for a successive demotion to tier 3.

There were genuine and unique highlights however..... Some of us here - thanks to his impressive two game start - can claim to have witnessed Notts at the very top of the top flight during the first mid-week of the 1983/84 season and it was also under Lloyd that Notts last staged a home FA Cup Quarter-final. We also recorded a successive home win against Manchester United, beat Villa 5-2, thrashed Sunderland 6-1 and were the better side in a home 0-0 with Fword.

I'm not sure whether or not he was responsible for the signing of Seamus McDonagh, who was shockingly poor and has to take some of the blame for the bad results. Mick Leonard kept an impressive number of top flight clean sheets when he eventually got the nod to replace him but it was too late. The popular Steve Sims and legendary Dave Watson both agreed to join under Lloyd before the sack.

I'd have rather he'd played for us than managed us, but there we are.

75 years old. RIP Larry.

I only know him as a really fat bloke who used to present a radio phone in in the late 90's, I'm too young to know him as a player or a manager.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    The lack of a response to this news, at least so far, perhaps tells its' own story.

Let's be frank, appointing Larry Lloyd was without doubt one of the biggest mistakes this club has ever made, relegating us out of the top flight after two comfortable seasons of consolidation under Sirrel and Wilkinson and then he was largely responsible for a successive demotion to tier 3.
    There is also the not insignificant fact that he is more associated with the Red side of the Trent than with us, due to his time there as a player.

I always thought it was terrible how he let himself go after retiring from the game, he grew huge during his time as a publican (didn't he run the Stage Door pub opposite the Theatre Royal for a time?) and that was a shame for a man who had played at the very top level.

So I don't have fond memories of the man but nevertheless it's sad to hear that he's passed away

There were genuine and unique highlights however..... Some of us here - thanks to his impressive two game start - can claim to have witnessed Notts at the very top of the top flight during the first mid-week of the 1983/84 season and it was also under Lloyd that Notts last staged a home FA Cup Quarter-final. We also recorded a successive home win against Manchester United, beat Villa 5-2, thrashed Sunderland 6-1 and were the better side in a home 0-0 with Fword.

I'm not sure whether or not he was responsible for the signing of Seamus McDonagh, who was shockingly poor and has to take some of the blame for the bad results. Mick Leonard kept an impressive number of top flight clean sheets when he eventually got the nod to replace him but it was too late. The popular Steve Sims and legendary Dave Watson both agreed to join under Lloyd before the sack.

75 years old. RIP Larry.
    That sums that era up perfectly- RIP Larry

R.I.P Larry, you were a great CB, we could do with someone like you now. ⭐

I was at Leicester for the opening game, won 4 0 and the quarter final 1 2 v Everton, things had turned by the time we lost 1 2 at home to Leicester with McDonut in goal.
    Rip Larry.

My main memory of him is propping up the bar of The Three Crowns in Rudd

75 years old. RIP Larry.
    Like I've said on other threads it's being top of the pile for a very short time I'll remember him for. He was good centre half for Forest I think he played for Wales too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast