+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Operation day.

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    Hope you’re back to full fit soon, Mick, and that you get back to running. I haven’t been able to run for some years now and really miss it, so I do hope that you can pick it up again. Just don’t rush it.
    I’m as unfit now as I was when I gave up training for a year when I was about 46 Kets.

I got fit again by only walking and then statutes running properly again when I moved here 6 1/2 years ago.

So I won’t push this.

I also don’t see the point of getting really fit again whilst I still need a big op on the other knee that will in effect, wipe me out from training on my legs for 8 months, this is if I go for the microfracture procedure which takes a long recovery and rehab.

So what’s the point in getting fit in the next four months only to then take eight months off?

I have the desire and mentality to drag myself back up the hill from a very low base, I’ve done it a few times before and I’ll likely do it again.

I f kin love a challenge and people writing me off.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Cheers Dubs.

Losing fitness isn’t an issue, I’ve been unable to do anything for three months so my a r se resembles a string shopping bag and my thighs and calves are the same width, Stephen Hawking was a finer physical specimen than I am at present!
    At 05:30 in the wee hours of the morning, that post and thought has turned me off quite a lot of thimgs I was going to do .

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbag View Post
    At 05:30 in the wee hours of the morning, that post and thought has turned me off quite a lot of thimgs I was going to do .
    🤣🤣🤣🤣👍🏻

Nearly 9.00am now and not a bit of pain or discomfort and not even a single paracetamol taken, I’m amazed.

Seriously lads, if any of you or your family are suffering knee or shoulder trouble I can’t recommend my surgeon highly enough.

Mr Marcus Green at The Priory Hospital in Brum.

A lovely bloke and a master of his craft.

I could be fit for Monday’s match so Wallace’s place is under threat!

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    🤣🤣🤣🤣👍🏻

Nearly 9.00am now and not a bit of pain or discomfort and not even a single paracetamol taken, I’m amazed.

Seriously lads, if any of you or your family are suffering knee or shoulder trouble I can’t recommend my surgeon highly enough.

Mr Marcus Green at The Priory Hospital in Brum.

A lovely bloke and a master of his craft.

I could be fit for Monday’s match so Wallace’s place is under threat!
    Thats a testament to your physicla health and mental well being.
    Your capacity for BOTH was and is greater then you suspected. Monitor today and tomorrow and if no tablets needed, then sell them. You'll get a good price locally....Only joking for all you children out there reading this on a Baggies forum. We do not endorse drug taking.....

Glad to hear the op has been so successful and pain free. Do you put your knee problems down to you exercising so much or is it just in your genes? I kept wicket for over forty years and am now in my late seventies and, touch wood, have no trouble with knees, hips or any other joints. I do think that it is just something in a person’s make up. I don’t know if you agree or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    Glad to hear the op has been so successful and pain free. Do you put your knee problems down to you exercising so much or is it just in your genes? I kept wicket for over forty years and am now in my late seventies and, touch wood, have no trouble with knees, hips or any other joints. I do think that it is just something in a person’s make up. I don’t know if you agree or not.
    I’ve run many thousands of miles since September 1983 when I took up running more seriously Leics.

I trained really hard and still played football and by 1989 I had to have cartilage operations on both knees which I had done on the same day which saved me recovery time but was painful and awkward to manage afterwards.

Once recovered I went back to running a few months later but because I skimped on the rehab exercises I lost flexibility in my knees and my best times dropped by 20%.

They also used to swell up a lot so I was never able to train hard enough again to achieve better times.

I played Sunday football until I was 43 and thus I guess I used up a lot of cartilage pushing myself up to mid age.

I had a very dangerous slip on stairs in my works yard about 6 years ago, I slipped on ice at the top of my wooden stairs and plunged 4 or 5 feet to the next step which I managed to land on with my right leg fully braced but it twisted my knee and I then fell another 5 feet and when I landed on the ground my right leg landed first and twisted badly again, I thought I’d ruptured my ACL.

In effect I wrecked the cartilage which dissolved in my knee fluid over time and I’ve ended up as “bone on bone” in the right knee.

I had to rest for months but gradually I found myself able to run again if I limited my distance and by having steroid injections in it.

Then three years ago a stupid woman with a badly trained Alsatian dog had it on too long a lead and it lunged 8 to 10 feet and tried to bite me, in avoiding the dog I badly twisted that knee again so it’s taken even more managing.

My surgeon says that both of my knees are structurally very healthy in regards to the bone and the joint, it’s just cartilage wear and nothing else.

So I think my genetics are good, I’ve just enjoyed my sports.

Two of the hospital nursing staff were amazed yesterday when I told them I was 62, they thought I was “a lot” younger which was gratifying, just a shame they were both blokes!😩🤣

I think good quality exercise is important in long term health for most people, if you look at Soulman Lloyd and his twin brother at around 70, Lloyd has numerous health issues and his brother still runs 10 miles a day which is amazing.

Diet as well, my wife is a size 8 at 67 and has always been a naturally healthy eater and has never exercised and she looks like a 50-55 year old.

I think you’ve been a bit lucky Leics, most wickies I know have knees that are terrible.

I don’t think that it is genetics in your case mick. You’ve given your knees a bit of a hammering what with all your sporting activities plus the injuries through accidents. You are correct, I think that I have been lucky as one dislocated finger and a chipped tooth isn’t a great deal to suffer keeping wicket for all those years. I have broken an ankle and stayed in hospital over night with concussion playing rugby, but again, pretty fortunate I suppose.

Mick I've come back late to this but glad you're pain free, Diclofenac is in the same family as Ibuprogen/Naproxen and yes you're right that Co-Codamol has paracetamol so not to be taken alongside.

In general Paracetamol is good for pain without associated inflammation (headaches, flu like symptoms), whereas the above are more useful for arthritic pain, injuries, swelling (usually joints - gout etc) and dental pain as they tackle pain AND inflammation. Always take with some food.

Quote Originally Posted by westcountryvillain View Post
    Mick I've come back late to this but glad you're pain free, Diclofenac is in the same family as Ibuprogen/Naproxen and yes you're right that Co-Codamol has paracetamol so not to be taken alongside.

In general Paracetamol is good for pain without associated inflammation (headaches, flu like symptoms), whereas the above are more useful for arthritic pain, injuries, swelling (usually joints - gout etc) and dental pain as they tackle pain AND inflammation. Always take with some food.
    Thanks WCV.

I’ve been out shopping today and walking pretty normally, I’m amazed at the recovery speed.

The quality of surgery today and the precision allowing minimal internal disruption is truly magical.

It took me weeks to feel like this again 35 years ago the last time I had this keyhole surgery.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)