+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Bit Of A Shock Last Night

O/T Bit Of A Shock Last Night

Went over to watch Trinity play Featherstone yesterday evening , to be honest we made an afternoon of it and had a meal and a few pints before .

We ended up having to drive out to Castleford to find anywhere that looked the sort of place you'd take your wife having driven around Featherstone looking for such a place .

It's over 25 years since I last visited Fev , we simply haven't played them since the 90's .

What I saw last night shocked me , how the hell was this once proud community allowed to end up like I witnessed last night ? .

Since my last visit we've had 13 years of a Labour government , we were once part of the EU , this deprivation didn't start under the current government or since the country decided to leave the EU , no this is decades in the making .

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't expect Featherstone to resemble Notting Hill these days but I'd expect not to see multitudes of houses boarded up , abandoned pubs and a general atmosphere that actually nobody gives a fuq about the people who live there .

Absolutely scandalous and I guess there are many other places such as Featherstone that are just allowed to go to the wall by politicians who couldn't care less about the people that seemingly the world has left behind .

Coming to a small town near you. I live in a similiar place, gradually being boarded up. Labour council ( possibly run by the proverbial donkey that wins here every year, and five years) No direction. No vision ( oh wait….. they do have a BLUEPRINT….. but now cancelled it, as they cant afford it…….).
    Barnsley seem to be getting it right in the Town centre. An earlier arrival saw us having a pint in the Sun outside the Salt House yesterday, and the wife said .”cant imagine sat out in Huddersfield and it being so pleasant surroundings…, its busy, and its great what theyve done… and you can see they havent finished……its still going on”….

We went to Brixham a few weeks ago…. (Still nice)… yet Torquay and Paignton were poor towns, shops boarded up… the lot. Bangir in Wales was the same.

Just a small insight Animal into, what this country is to become.
    Cant see us staying around when our parents are gone. Rest of family can make their own minds up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    Coming to a small town near you. I live in a similiar place, gradually being boarded up. Labour council ( possibly run by the proverbial donkey that wins here every year, and five years) No direction. No vision ( oh wait….. they do have a BLUEPRINT….. but now cancelled it, as they cant afford it…….).
    Barnsley seem to be getting it right in the Town centre. An earlier arrival saw us having a pint in the Sun outside the Salt House yesterday, and the wife said .”cant imagine sat out in Huddersfield and it being so pleasant surroundings…, its busy, and its great what theyve done… and you can see they havent finished……its still going on”….

We went to Brixham a few weeks ago…. (Still nice)… yet Torquay and Paignton were poor towns, shops boarded up… the lot. Bangir in Wales was the same.

Just a small insight Animal into, what this country is to become.
    Cant see us staying around when our parents are gone. Rest of family can make their own minds up.
    There will be and always was better off and not so better off areas but the actual degree to what I saw on Friday night was the real shock Jules .

Shameful it was .

We are in the same position Jules , we wouldn't leave whilst my wife's mother is still with us and I hope she's still with us for many a long year .

We are definitely moving to the Costa Del Sol when the time is right .