+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maynard or JOB

At least Jim has his coaching Badges...

Way too soon for JOB but until end of season maybe. The bros won't pull the trigger though, 6 games left they'll let it run its course unfortunately.

Maybe it makes me a hypocrite because I've really lost enthusiasm to watch Notts recently, but I think keeping him on until the end of the season is the better move for the club - it makes clear we gave him every chance, it makes it more likely he'll pick up another job quickly, it means we bent over backwards to give him every chance to succeed over a good chunk of games, and it means more data in which to justify his moving on. It makes it look less knee-jerk and so more like a place a manager would be interested in coming to, which is in the end what we need in order to do better than SM. If he wasn't our first choice, that means someone else already turned us down, after all.

I can’t see SM being here next season.

The brothers haven’t been rash so far, and as usual are keeping their cards close to their chests.

I expect SM to go this season/or end of, once a suitable replacement has been quietly sourced.

I wouldn't lump JOB with this horrible mess if he were my worst enemy, let alone a beloved player loyal to the club for years.

I would love him to take up a career in coaching and love for it to be with us, but he is in no way ready to take the head coach position. Not of a L2 side with what appear to be some seriously toxic morale problems.

I hope the owners are searching for a suitable replacement for SM because obviously this is not working. We are deep into relegation form right now, if we carry on like this in the new season we'll be relegated. Simple as that. Things have to change.

It might well be that SM can be a capable manager if we clear out our ineffective defence and replace them with players competent at this level. But I don't know. I see nothing whatsoever in the stats to suggest that, although I couldn't rule it out. The question is will the owners take that gamble? I hate to say it, but I hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    For this season maybe but he really needs to be released at end of the season.

All the love in for him is ridiculous he was part of the squad that got relegated like Brindley/Slocombe/Rawlinson if we could all four would go for me we not miss any of them on the pitch.
    Brindley, Slocombe Rawlinson joined us after relegation... And it wasn't O'Brien's fault we got relegated. If I remember correctly he scored a couple of goals that nearly helped us, didn't he scored within a minute at Forest Green for example?

Quote Originally Posted by OchPie View Post
    Maybe it makes me a hypocrite because I've really lost enthusiasm to watch Notts recently, but I think keeping him on until the end of the season is the better move for the club - it makes clear we gave him every chance, it makes it more likely he'll pick up another job quickly, it means we bent over backwards to give him every chance to succeed over a good chunk of games, and it means more data in which to justify his moving on. It makes it look less knee-jerk and so more like a place a manager would be interested in coming to, which is in the end what we need in order to do better than SM. If he wasn't our first choice, that means someone else already turned us down, after all.
    That's sounds more sensible, it's not like were going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    That's sounds more sensible, it's not like were going anywhere.
    I think it’s right that if we lose today SM will have the worst home record run ever? We already have enough data to know he’s a disaster.

I was at Swindon and if ever there was a more confused bunch of players or a group so ripped of confidence, that was it. No energy, no pace and no ideas - sorry to say it but SM has coached the spark and the attacking intent out of the team and so instead of being an attacking force with a poor defence, we are now woeful in both areas.

Passing for the sake of it on a terrible pitch and a high wind was brainless. When SM decided to got more direct with Jatta he took our best crosser off and moved Nemane more central - bizarre!

The benefit of removing him now is player morale and retention for contract discussions and some semblance of decent season ticket sales. I wouldn’t buy one right now because there is a chance he might be here next season and that means relegation.

Quote Originally Posted by OchPie View Post
    This is where I’m at. It doesn’t matter for me now if it’s 13 games or 19 games as the season is done and is a write off. Plus there is only four weeks left of the season. I agree that to the wider footballing world waiting until the end of the season makes it more credible that we have not make a knee jerk decision like the past. Come the end of the season it will be four months and almost half a seasons worth of results. The only teams we won’t have played under SM by then will be Tranmere, Doncaster, Morecambe and Grimsby.

More games gives more data either way. The stats will show where we are falling short in games as well and how much the individual errors have really affected the results.

The problems have also ran deeper and wider this season than SM and it’s something the club will have to learn from.

Add to this the fact we have lost four key figures this past 12 months on and off the field (JT, LW, MP, RR) at the club all of whom contributed to our previous success.

The January transfer window was never going to be the magic bullet to solve our defensive problems either. There is a smaller pool of players to choose from and many of those available would not have been playing consistently each week.

Likewise if a manager or head coach leaves now at any club it’s who comes in to replace them and no realistic or long term candidate will likely be available a month before the season ends.

I don’t think it’s fair to put the burden onto JOB. He has been an excellent servant to the club over the past five years and we need that energy and enthusiasm in the dressing room and on the pitch.

Neither.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast