+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Met Police are not fit to serve

Met Police are not fit to serve

Quote Originally Posted by soulman101 View Post
    Correct! Same with the mayor, waffles on a lot but does nothing.

The Met have since come out and said that this video shows only a part of what actually happened and claim that the man with the swastika was subsequently arrested. I don't doubt that this may have been the case but to try and insinuate that because this video was itself taken "out of context" that the reaction of this officer was in anyway defensible is disingenuous at best.

I'm sure most people are aware that the swastika emblem itself has a very long history as a sign of spirituality/divinity in various Asian religions and that this predates by some centuries the appropriation of it by the Nazis. However, in what other possible context could it have been used in these particular circumstances other than as a deliberately offensive taunt or threat to the Jewish protesters? In trying to justify his actions-or rather lack of!-this officer ties himself in knots and makes himself look stupid as well as useless. To make matters worse, he then proceeds to try and pass the buck by saying his job is to stay where he is so sadly cannot do anything but if the lady would like to report it to another officer a bit further up the street... In this day and age where everyman and his dog have mobile phones to record such incidents you would have thought they'd be a bit more careful wouldn't you? Still, stupid is as stupid does.

I'm sure that there are plenty of good officers (even in the Met) who try their best under very difficult circumstances but officers like this one must cause them to despair as much as us.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    The Met have since come out and said that this video shows only a part of what actually happened and claim that the man with the swastika was subsequently arrested. I don't doubt that this may have been the case but to try and insinuate that because this video was itself taken "out of context" that the reaction of this officer was in anyway defensible is disingenuous at best.

I'm sure most people are aware that the swastika emblem itself has a very long history as a sign of spirituality/divinity in various Asian religions and that this predates by some centuries the appropriation of it by the Nazis. However, in what other possible context could it have been used in these particular circumstances other than as a deliberately offensive taunt or threat to the Jewish protesters? In trying to justify his actions-or rather lack of!-this officer ties himself in knots and makes himself look stupid as well as useless. To make matters worse, he then proceeds to try and pass the buck by saying his job is to stay where he is so sadly cannot do anything but if the lady would like to report it to another officer a bit further up the street... In this day and age where everyman and his dog have mobile phones to record such incidents you would have thought they'd be a bit more careful wouldn't you? Still, stupid is as stupid does.

I'm sure that there are plenty of good officers (even in the Met) who try their best under very difficult circumstances but officers like this one must cause them to despair as much as us.
    I think we’re fast approaching the time when it’ll be made illegal to film police officers.

They’ll be citing it as “a security risk” and chucking us in a cell for getting a mobile camera phone out.

There’ll come a time when we won’t be able to say or do anything. Hello Mr. Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    There’ll come a time when we won’t be able to say or do anything. Hello Mr. Putin!
    A few years ago we arrived back at Birmingham airport to find the passport control area in chaos and were kept waiting for ages.

As patience grew short one bloke shouted out to staff to get it sorted and that he was going to send pictures to local news media and got his phone out.

Suddenly, six armed police rushed in and pinned him to the wall and he was threatened with arrest unless he put the phone away and shut up.

The Met arrested one Protester put him in van to take him away ,then a mob of these protester blocked the van in by sitting round it chanting let him go .
    So what did the Police do , they opened the van doors and let him go .

Not the Met Police but it will be interesting to see how the police in Scotland behave in relation to the new ‘hate crime’ law that has come into effect there today. It seems to me to be an erosion of free speech and from what I have read about the pressure groups involved in advocating this draconian law, it seems to be aimed predominately at white people, as it is obvious that only white folk are racist! What are things coming to?

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    Not the Met Police but it will be interesting to see how the police in Scotland behave in relation to the new ‘hate crime’ law that has come into effect there today. It seems to me to be an erosion of free speech and from what I have read about the pressure groups involved in advocating this draconian law, it seems to be aimed predominately at white people, as it is obvious that only white folk are racist! What are things coming to?
    That indeed will be very interesting Ketts! As many concerned about free speech have already commented, in theory it may be ok but in reality this new law is far too "wooly" and therefore open to interpretation too much. This lack of clarity means that, worse case, it is open to abuse by those claiming that people voicing opinions different to their own (e.g. on trans issues) are inciting hatred and being offensive merely because they have the temerity to disagree with them.

When it comes down to it-as already proven in recent cases-existing European Human Rights laws do actually protect the individual's rights to express various opinions not shared by others- provided they cannot be proven to incite hatred. This new law is designed (rightly IMHO) to emphasise the latter but it's lack of clarity means that many can foresee it opening the flood gates to a slew of false allegations that may be allowed to progress further than they should. It now puts the Police in a particularly difficult situation in that they will have to initially decide whether a criminal offence has actually been committed. Under pressure not to get it wrong, they may decide to err on the side of caution and begin proceedings. Based on this particular officer's responses, I doubt many will trust the Police to interpret the new law properly😞

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)