+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Rovers

Vegan Rovers

I worry that this will be another dismal display but underneath I'm hopeful. With both Holicek and Long available, there's a chance of an upturn. But they have to play first. Will anyone else be available? I know that LB said it would be the same squad of players as we're named on Friday but he has dissembled before. Will Billington start. If LB wasn't dissembling recently then he's had his rest, time to reinstate him. Cooney has actually improved during his last two appearances but Billington is a miles better player. He has a first touch for a start!
    So I can't decide -0-0/1-1 Or 3-1.

It's all clichés I know, but with two away games coming up this really is a must win game. I hope that the team don't get nervous like I am feeling. Anyway I think that we will scrape a win, 1-0 or 2-1 with another unconvincing performance.
    I'd bite your hand off now for my final points prediction, 77pts!

We need a really big win today but FGR beat Barrow away and drew away at Wrexham and so that means we will be lucky to win the game. LB needs to put out his best team and that includes Long playing most of the match. Its no good resting players now. A draw will be a poor result but who knows?

Not just the best team but one that will play on the front foot and one that will keep up the pace and not slow things down with needless passes back to the keeper. Billington must play. Holicek and or Long must play (at least for 60 minutes). Charlie and Rowe can come on towards the end, if they must.
    Time for Mickey D to get back on the scoresheet.

Wow! All three - Billington, Holicek and Long to start. With Kirk included that's a very attacking line-up. Footnote to that - if Charlie is rooted to the line about 30 - 40 yards out then I take it back about being attacking. Looking for more intensity from him. And no long ball stuff..

Did I say dismal? This wasn't what I meant! None of the forwards seem to be able to make their first touch count.
    The first goal came from an age-old elementary error from Turns - DON'T LET THE BALL BOUNCE particularly when you're under pressure and facing the wrong way. Suddenly from having an outstanding CH pairing, we've a couple of uncertain panicky defenders.
    Why did Long not complete that cross at the end? Hopefully, he's not injured - again!
    We need an early goal but we'll only achieve that with accurate passing and good first touches.

Well, the team/club deserve whatever opprobrium comes their way after that performance. The commentary team can go on about the second performance but why wait until you're 3 goals down to play forwards and progressively. It is the slow game out of the back that is causing the problems. Players being caught on the ball when playing tight and being unable to control the first touch.
    At least Charlie got involved in the second half. Tracey has got to be told: improve your first touch; take your player on immediately ( he can't beat a player from a standing start) and keep chasing even if there is a chance you might not get there.
    The worrying thing is Mickey Ds loss of form. His judgement and touch seem to have gone.
    Lewis Leigh and Holicek had good games. The latter definitely MOTM.
    So where from here? Only 4 points ahead of Crawley and one game less. I do think we'll get at least one positive result from the next 2 games.
    As I've continued to say, timing has been important. The drop in form is worse when it happens at the end of the season as it's more noticeable. In the end, we have suffered from injuries. Not the quantity of injuries but injuries to key players - Powell, Offord, Tabiner and also Long and Holicek. The greatest problem has been the lack of key midfield. This has stopped us maintaining the goalscoring record we started in the 1st half of the season.

Got that wrong didn't I? We're still 6 points ahead of 8th with 5 to go. The current 8th placed team is Morecambe, which makes the game a week tomorrow extremely important and one we mustn't lose.

No excuses, but looked back at the game earlier in the season when we won 4-1 away

Checked the starting XI in that game

There are only 3 players from the Sept team that played on Saturday.

More importantly to tie-in the other what Gazan has been saying - the midfield 'engine' from that game were all missing (Tabs/Thomas/Powell).

Food for thought ...

Just seen 10 mins highlights posted yesterday and we looked a bottom of the league side with absolutely no energy at all. Defenders sodding about with the ball and they were useless really. I maintain that LB can do nothing with this squad and think on that performance we won't win another game, even against Grimsby. Its one of the worst teams I have seen to be honest....Chalk and Cheese is the right expression. We made FGR look excellent and quick on and off the ball. Its sad to see actually...Kirk? how come he is so bad now?

Any CEO would close the academy tomorrow and save the cash for next season and go back looking at better players elsewhere...But it won't happen ever..We are wedded to Cat2..Also the crowd is dire considering we are in the play offs! Football is finished at some of these lower league clubs...The PL and Championship is all that matters now with fans...
    Last edited by MikeSB; 03-04-2024 at 10:40 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast