+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: WBA53 match thread

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    People who have never played as a striker tend to only look for one thing. Goals. There’s a lot to being a striker. Having a strong mentality first and foremost. Take Asante today, could have let his head drop after missing 4 chances, but carries on and scores a stunner. You’ve got to love this lad.
    He certainly can score some memorable goals (loved that bicycle kick one particularly) but he is hardly prolific. On the other hand, his work rate is undeniable and in interviews he comes across as a really likeable lad so small wonder that he is popular with fans and team mates alike. I know that injuries have forced us to play him as a lone striker (and thankfully we have been able to get goals from across the team) but would personally like to see him playing alongside another striker like Dike once he is fit as think this could work well.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Given his absolute class and pedigree I wonder if we shouldn’t look to tweak things and get M’Vila on the pitch for more of the game.

Instead of our 4-2-3-1 or 3-5-1-1 type of look with Yann more defensively set up I’d try to get him working within the centre circle dictating play.

If Yok and Mowatt are the defensive two midfielders I’d play Yann ahead of them in the pitch and leave Swift or Wallace out of the central forward midfield three.

I think he’s a massive player, way ahead of any other player in the division in quality.
    I don’t know Mick but maybe Yann would struggle for the full 90. He’s got class alright. Maybe its a matter of fitness management.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    He certainly can score some memorable goals (loved that bicycle kick one particularly) but he is hardly prolific. On the other hand, his work rate is undeniable and in interviews he comes across as a really likeable lad so small wonder that he is popular with fans and team mates alike. I know that injuries have forced us to play him as a lone striker (and thankfully we have been able to get goals from across the team) but would personally like to see him playing alongside another striker like Dike once he is fit as think this could work well.
    You could be right Omeg. Would be surprised if Dyke plays for this club by then. But, you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    Entertaining game. Watford certainly look better than their league position suggests. Some of our normally key players like Yokuslu underperformed today which may be an indication of fatigue and we slumped second half until BTA's goal re-reinvigorated us but think Carlos got his subs spot on and all did well as we got the fighting spirit back. Feels like a win now and luckily results elsewhere went our way with both Coventry and Norwich losing. (Also pleased to see Blues win today)
    I think that goal from Furlong has far reaching implications. Kept our unbeaten record, keeps the spirits high. Really important. He’s my player of the season, the unsung hero. Played almost every match this long season yet always has a great attitude, work rate, fitness, and covers defence, midfield and attack with his involvement. There have been games this season where some of our players could have done with half of whatever he’s on. Pleased for him.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    I think that goal from Furlong has far reaching implications. Kept our unbeaten record, keeps the spirits high. Really important. He’s my player of the season, the unsung hero. Played almost every match this long season yet always has a great attitude, work rate, fitness, and covers defence, midfield and attack with his involvement. There have been games this season where some of our players could have done with half of whatever he’s on. Pleased for him.
    If only he could defend, he was shocking for their second goal mate, so many basics wrong.

Sorry but I have been at the game and Furlong and Townsend had mares. Furlong's goal which was superb to be fair was about the only thing of note from him. Their forwards and the midfield had so much space to receive the ball they did not have to worry about a tackle coming in the instant they received the ball whereas our players were being rushed into the usual passing back for safety's sake or rushing a pass and being careless. But it was a great fight back and all those who walked out the Brummie Road when the second Watford goal went in, well you missed an exciting 20 minutes till full time. As for the ref, he was awful. Asante got taken down from behind 5 or 6 times with no Watford player getting a yellow, and he was also falling for Watford's bullsh*t antics of falling down in agony.

I feel that Furlong has received unfair criticism this season as for the majority of the time he has been one of the more consistent players. However, today he was at fault for their second goal but certainly made up for it with a superb equaliser.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    I feel that Furlong has received unfair criticism this season as for the majority of the time he has been one of the more consistent players. However, today he was at fault for their second goal but certainly made up for it with a superb equaliser.
    I don’t want my defenders “making up for it” Leics, I want them to do their task properly.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    If only he could defend, he was shocking for their second goal mate, so many basics wrong.
    When you do as much as he does Mick you will get something wrong. Furlong never gets a mention when he does really special things but one thing wrong and he gets loads of flack. Very very unfairly. We’ll have to disagree on this Mick. But that’s ok, still mates 👍

I think that both Furlong and Townsend are generally very good for us going forward but can both be poor defensively. The emphasis on playing out from the back all the time probably doesn't help but whilst both have demonstrated that they can make timely and important interceptions, they are equally caught out too often either through poor positioning or lack of awareness.

What I do like about Furlong however is his work rate and attitude and, of course, his long throws can be useful too!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)