+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding Notts County's Defence

Quote Originally Posted by Canuckpie View Post
    In my opinion both Langstaff and Jones will be county players next season, my rationale both are under contract their not good enough for the step up to the Championship and only a couple of league 1 teams would be able to meet there valuations.
    On the out of contract player's retain Scott maybe JOB the rest can leave. Defenders under contract but deemed not good enough should become squad members , new arrivals needed are goalkeeper, two seasoned EFL Defenders and a holding midfielder who can do the dirty side as needed.
    Wouldn't be surprised if Wrexham come sniffing around Jones and/or Langstaff if they promoted.

Given crowds have been much bigger than expected and the playing budget was based on 23/24 revenue, there should be significant sums available to have at least a top 6 budget and the majority of this must be spent on a real goalkeeper and two centre half's. It wouldny worry me if we didnt spend a penny elsewhere.
    If we can rid ourselves sadly of Rawlo and TAR, gladly of Brindley, Randall,Morias, Slocombe, along with Brooks and Mukundafa who arent breaking through then we would look OK.
    Chicks Cameron and Baldwin do have something to offer but not without better players around them. Macari the only definite starter for me of the current defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by BJPIE View Post
    Given crowds have been much bigger than expected and the playing budget was based on 23/24 revenue, there should be significant sums available to have at least a top 6 budget and the majority of this must be spent on a real goalkeeper and two centre half's. It wouldny worry me if we didnt spend a penny elsewhere.
    If we can rid ourselves sadly of Rawlo and TAR, gladly of Brindley, Randall,Morias, Slocombe, along with Brooks and Mukundafa who arent breaking through then we would look OK.
    Chicks Cameron and Baldwin do have something to offer but not without better players around them. Macari the only definite starter for me of the current defenders.
    Don't forget that they will be spending money on a new pitch and they hope on this new fan zone. If I remember correctly in the documents to the council it said something along the lines of "The asking price had been reduced from £950k to £720k"
    So it looks like they might be buying it.
    So the playing budget may well be less than some people expect / hope for.

Quote Originally Posted by BJPIE View Post
    There is no profit though.The club runs at a loss, the significance of the bigger crowds means the brothers have to pay less out of their own pockets.
    Its lovely setting out budgets by pulling figures out of thin air but can we acknowledge the reality that as a club we run at a loss.if it wasn't for the brothers we would be bankrupt.I'm amazed and thankful that they still go out and pay transfer fees for players but demanding top 6 budgets is unrealistic in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    There is no profit though.The club runs at a loss, the significance of the bigger crowds means the brothers have to pay less out of their own pockets.
    Its lovely setting out budgets by pulling figures out of thin air but can we acknowledge the reality that as a club we run at a loss.if it wasn't for the brothers we would be bankrupt.I'm amazed and thankful that they still go out and pay transfer fees for players but demanding top 6 budgets is unrealistic in my eyes.
    The Bros just pay a bit more for their season ticket than the rest of us (ok, a LOT more) but then they have the hope that at some time down the line they might just get reimbursed, at least in part.

I've not seen substantial evidence to suggest they are running close to their budget limit (do we know what this is even) and so have no idea what is unrealistic. Maybe they believed that a top ten budget with LW might have been enough to do better, maybe they'll be spurred into a top 3 budget to counteract for this years disappointment. Who knows?

Why is a top six budget unrealistic? Mansfield have a far bigger budget than us on much lower gates. So do a bunch of other clubs. Hardly any clubs break even at this level, or at any level for that matter. It all comes down to how deep the owners' pockets are.

If our owners aren't wealthy enough for us to have a top-six budget in L2, we'll be stuck at this level for quite a while, even if they are smart with the funds they have.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Why is a top six budget unrealistic? Mansfield have a far bigger budget than us on much lower gates. So do a bunch of other clubs. Hardly any clubs break even at this level, or at any level for that matter. It all comes down to how deep the owners' pockets are.

If our owners aren't wealthy enough for us to have a top-six budget in L2, we'll be stuck at this level for quite a while, even if they are smart with the funds they have.
    Its unrealistic because we are a club that runs at a loss.Anything else around this is down to the generosity of the owners and what they are prepared to plough into the club. If they feel a top 10 budget is what they are going to fund then who is anyone to argue with that.? You might not like it but that's your prerogative. Why don't you take over the club and give us a top 6 budget.? Maybe you know some cash rich investors who would plough money into the club that would guarantee the highest budget in the division.
    Like I said it's great just picking a number out of thin air and demand a top budget of any kind.Whatever other clubs choose to do has nothing to do with us.

Its unrealistic because we are a club that runs at a loss.Anything else around this is down to the generosity of the owners and what they are prepared to plough into the club. If they feel a top 10 budget is what they are going to fund then who is anyone to argue with that.? You might not like it but that's your prerogative. Why don't you take over the club and give us a top 6 budget.? Maybe you know some cash rich investors who would plough money into the club that would guarantee the highest budget in the division.
    Like I said it's great just picking a number out of thin air and demand a top budget of any kind.Whatever other clubs choose to do has nothing to do with us.
    That's my point - no club turns a profit at this level. It's always down to how rich and ambitious the owner is.

Do you really think the bros are less ambitious than half the owners in L2? I don't. I think they are trying to run the club in as smart a way as possible, trying to gain an edge in terms of recruitment or coaching rather than splashing the cash, and that that approach worked up until late last year.

They may realise that to progress at this level, we need a better playing squad, and that that requires a bigger budget.

If we have to sell both JJ.and Macca to rebuild our defence we will have to sign players to bring the attack back up to strength. Who can we get to replace JJ who week after week provides brilliant crosses which often leads to goals. Who will provide the goals at the rate Macca has done over the last two seasons will be expensive.to sign. I hope both will stay and any money will go towards two strong and experienced C B. I also think we need two strong and experienced full backs so we can switch when necessary to a back four.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Why is a top six budget unrealistic?
    It isn't, in fact I think we should expect it next season. We are clear third best in attendances in League 2 this season, and none of the clubs who will come down from League 1 will threaten that. I get that the owner's philosophy is to find cheap untapped talent and it's mostly worked well so far, but the recruitment this summer will be crunch time for me. If I read that we have a 10th-12th place budget again I'll be disappointed.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast