+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding Notts County's Defence

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post

That was the worst bit of the summer recruitment, handing contracts out to players out of loyalty who just weren’t good enough to step up. That could restrict any rebuild this summer unless we can shift some out somehow.
    It indeed was not good but waiting to see if we were EFL or NL would not have been helpful either.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    It indeed was not good but waiting to see if we were EFL or NL would not have been helpful either.
    Surely by the summer window we were EFL. So no excuses. It will be difficult to unload deadwood and, budget allowing, may have accept to pay a number of non-combatants, or, if the budget does not stretch to that, still have them in the playing squad. Not ideal, but a legacy from MW. We need a lot more physicality, tenacity and athleticism at the back, that's been glaringly obvious all season but was obvious last season also against the stronger more physical teams, particularly Wrexham.

Quote Originally Posted by Wollat11 View Post
    Surely by the summer window we were EFL. So no excuses. It will be difficult to unload deadwood and, budget allowing, may have accept to pay a number of non-combatants, or, if the budget does not stretch to that, still have them in the playing squad. Not ideal, but a legacy from MW. We need a lot more physicality, tenacity and athleticism at the back, that's been glaringly obvious all season but was obvious last season also against the stronger more physical teams, particularly Wrexham.
    Yes but what Old Pie is saying we werent certain of that until end of May so other clubs ie Walsall/Crawley as examples would have known they are L2.

LW said all of this about type of player we need and quite rightly said EVERYONE wants players with those skillsets its not as easy as people think.

Next season we should be in a better place as we now know we are L2 ourselves.

Just checked Kyle McFadzean has a deal until the end of the season at Blackburn
    He's 36 now so a short term one year offer might suit both parties
    Probably still lives locally after being released by Coventry in December
    A powerful leader who could offer stability and teach the younger defenders what's needed in the EFL

Quote Originally Posted by Could'vebeenacontender View Post
    Just checked Kyle McFadzean has a deal until the end of the season at Blackburn
    He's 36 now so a short term one year offer might suit both parties
    Probably still lives locally after being released by Coventry in December
    A powerful leader who could offer stability and teach the younger defenders what's needed in the EFL
    I think this season has shown us the danger of having too many thirty-somethings in the squad. We need players who can play 46 games, not ones who can’t play Sat-Tue-Sat. I’m hoping we’re not signing anyone over the age of 30 this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    This is a good point and the fact we didn’t know which league we would be in until 13th May meant we were on the back foot compared to other league two teams. Or at least we needed to have a plan A and plan B in terms of signings depending on which league we were in.

This season we know we will be playing in league two five weeks in advance of what we knew last year. So this should provide the club with more time to produce their recruitment plans and decide how the squad is to be moulded for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    I think this season has shown us the danger of having too many thirty-somethings in the squad. We need players who can play 46 games, not ones who can’t play Sat-Tue-Sat. I’m hoping we’re not signing anyone over the age of 30 this summer.
    ^^^^This^^^^

We have 7 out of contract players.Baldwin,Bostock,Rowling ,Brindley ,O Brien,Bajrami and Scott.

Not a lot of room to manoeuvre there,but loan possibilities with a larger budget based on this seasons revenues .I would be happy with a loan goalkeeper and two dominant defenders.However if we let Bostock and O Brien go ,we are very light in midfield .This summer is not going to be easy ,2025 will be much easier.

If i was in charge of recruitment i would be telling the owners we need to sell an asset ,to give us the resources we need.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast