+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turning Point

Turning Point

Enjoyed the game yesterday, we were chalk and cheese compared with the Swindon match, we were "on it" and for more or less the whole 96 minutes. I'm glad for SM that we produce a somewhat good display with every man pulling their weight, that includes us the supporters.
    Feel a lot happier than last Friday so hope Mondays game is back to the normal, although the rubicon is still there it has yet still to be crossed, i hope it works out for SM and he comes good and takes us onward with a close season re-build on the cards, his input might be in the recruitment, we will probably never know.
    We just have to trust in our owners....... its all we have!.

I was thinking the same before I read your post.
    The acid test will be on Saturday against the tough pub team, we need the same efforts all round for us to come out on top, we had a Luke style performance against mk and a Maynard performance away at Harrogate, I'll be happy if Stuart can make all his games prime Luke/Maynard 😀

Quote Originally Posted by The Dug Out View Post
    Enjoyed the game yesterday, we were chalk and cheese compared with the Swindon match, we were "on it" and for more or less the whole 96 minutes. I'm glad for SM that we produce a somewhat good display with every man pulling their weight, that includes us the supporters.
    Feel a lot happier than last Friday so hope Mondays game is back to the normal, although the rubicon is still there it has yet still to be crossed, i hope it works out for SM and he comes good and takes us onward with a close season re-build on the cards, his input might be in the recruitment, we will probably never know.
    We just have to trust in our owners....... its all we have!.
    In the wider sense we can trust them but that doesn't mean we can trust them to make good managerial appointments, and Radar do the player recruitment and I don't trust Montague to do that. Maynard will have no sway over who we recruit.

A home draw after 5 home defeats is a relief but not a turning point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    In the wider sense we can trust them but that doesn't mean we can trust them to make good managerial appointments, and Radar do the player recruitment and I don't trust Montague to do that. Maynard will have no sway over who we recruit.

A home draw after 5 home defeats is a relief but not a turning point.
    This. I don’t think there is a question of anything working against the club from the owners. Previous dodgy owners have always had a slight shadow over their shoulders as we knew the “sod it, I’m selling” was always a possibility. Trew, Hardy and lots of others over the years have always had that bullet loaded in the gun.
    With the bros, I don’t feel that at all.

But however good the feeling was from Monday, we only managed a point. It doesn’t suddenly erase all the other results since SM has been here and it certainly doesn’t make him a master tactician.

What it does do, is offer the smallest of glimmers that the Notts we’ve known for past two seasons almost, is still in there somewhere.

"Turning point" we said the same after Newport and again after Bradford Sorry but SM isn't the man to get up going up the leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    "Turning point" we said the same after Newport and again after Bradford Sorry but SM isn't the man to get up going up the leagues.
    How can you say that? You really haven't a clue. Maynard's problem is that he has inherited Williams's flawed team. The results are in large part the legacy of Williams. He failed to strengthen the squad for league 2 so that we are essentially still NL standard. How is that Maynard's fault? Furthermore, Williams, out of some misguided and stupid loyalty to players showered 2 and 3 year contracts on them, as far as I understand, and we may be stuck with players not good enough at this level. As Maynard said in an interview, the rot set in before his arrival, 9 losses from the previous 15. Basically, after a good start we were found out. Teams worked out how to counter our strengths and exploit weaknesses. From Monday's line-up how many players would you retain - 5 or 6 at best and one of those being Jatta, a new addition. In other words half the team that Williams built are just not good enough for this level. I can't see that Maynard is responsible for that, I feel for him that he has to work with that. I also agree with his point that it's been really laughable schoolboy-type individual errors that have cost us dearly. It's not his tactics or style of play. In fact, for the most part we have looked much more solid than under Williams ... and then our defenders commit hara-kiri! These people baying for Maynard's blood basically have their heads stuck somewhere the sun don't shine.

Quote Originally Posted by Wollat11 View Post
    How can you say that? You really haven't a clue. Maynard's problem is that he has inherited Williams's flawed team. The results are in large part the legacy of Williams. He failed to strengthen the squad for league 2 so that we are essentially still NL standard. How is that Maynard's fault? Furthermore, Williams, out of some misguided and stupid loyalty to players showered 2 and 3 year contracts on them, as far as I understand, and we may be stuck with players not good enough at this level. As Maynard said in an interview, the rot set in before his arrival, 9 losses from the previous 15. Basically, after a good start we were found out. Teams worked out how to counter our strengths and exploit weaknesses. From Monday's line-up how many players would you retain - 5 or 6 at best and one of those being Jatta, a new addition. In other words half the team that Williams built are just not good enough for this level. I can't see that Maynard is responsible for that, I feel for him that he has to work with that. I also agree with his point that it's been really laughable schoolboy-type individual errors that have cost us dearly. It's not his tactics or style of play. In fact, for the most part we have looked much more solid than under Williams ... and then our defenders commit hara-kiri! These people baying for Maynard's blood basically have their heads stuck somewhere the sun don't shine.
    Hiya Stu.

An important question to ask is: how do you think Maynard would do next season if we retained our best players and signed three high-quality defenders and a decent keeper?

With the defence sorted, at least from a personnel perspective, do we think Maynard has the ability to take us forward?

At the moment, it's hard to untangle what's Maynard's fault and what isn't, but I suspect the biggest issues we currently have are ones he inherited rather than caused. It's on our owners and recruitment team to fix the defence, because I don't think these mistakes can be coached out of the current lot.

It's tempting to blame everything on the new guy - especially when you have the 'BT engineer' stick to beat him with - but the reason we are conceding so many and losing games is primarily because we don't have good enough players in key positions at the back. Fix that and who knows?
    Last edited by slack_pie; 03-04-2024 at 11:37 AM.

LW took 18 points from his last 14 league games in charge, Maynard has collected half of that, 9.

Notts are conceding more goals under Maynard than Williams.
    If that's purely down to individual mistakes, then why are defenders making more individual mistakes under Maynard than Williams?

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    An important question to ask is: how do you think Maynard would do next season if we retained our best players and signed three high-quality defenders and a decent keeper?

With the defence sorted, at least from a personnel perspective, do we think Maynard has the ability to take us forward?

At the moment, it's hard to untangle what's Maynard's fault and what isn't, but I suspect the biggest issues we currently have are ones he inherited rather than caused. It's on our owners and recruitment team to fix the defence, because I don't think these mistakes can be coached out of the current lot.

It's tempting to blame everything on the new guy - especially when you have the 'BT engineer' stick to beat him with - but the reason we are conceding so many and losing games is primarily because we don't have good enough players in key positions at the back. Fix that and who knows?
    He needs 3 decent defenders and at least a couple of leaders.
    I personally don’t know if he’s good enough but agree a lots clouded with the squad. I still think momentum carried them into the season and now faced with adversity some are mentally and technically are not up to it. He’s got a massive ask this season to get some performances with nothing to play for and some knowing their probably not wanted by the club.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast