+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Turning Point

Yep, wollat11 is clearly out his fking mind.
    Maynard has to carry on the improvement from Monday for the remaining games, we've seen enough of his false dawns.

In the words of a great leader:

"This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is perhaps the end of the beginning." WC

where "end" = "SM bad run"

Quote Originally Posted by Pietastic View Post
    Yeah I like this
    I think Stuart could be a great appointment given some time, new signings (which I bet he does have a say on for sure!!! - like as if the owners aren't going to include him on those discussions) and admittedly a bit of luck.
    Genuinely wondering what you base this thought on?

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    LW took 18 points from his last 14 league games in charge, Maynard has collected half of that, 9.

Notts are conceding more goals under Maynard than Williams.
    If that's purely down to individual mistakes, then why are defenders making more individual mistakes under Maynard than Williams?
    God man, you talk some sense.

It could be that Williams was a better motivator and had more respect. Everyone is talking about individual mistakes, but it is the coach's job to minimize that from happening. If you play a high risk game, then there will be mistakes. Maybe not always from the same player, but the coach is putting unnecessary strain on those players in vulnerable positions.

Chopping and changing the playing personnel doesn't take away that risk, unless you replace the whole team with players who never make a mistake. Perhaps someone can name a team that never makes a mistake?

If we bring in a new set of defenders and continue with this way of playing, I'll guarantee next year, the same people on NCM will be calling for a cull of the defence again.
    Last edited by Lullapie; 03-04-2024 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lullapie View Post
    God man, you talk some sense.

It could be that Williams was a better motivator and had more respect. Everyone is talking about individual mistakes, but it is the coach's job to minimize that from happening. If you play a high risk game, then there will be mistakes. Maybe not always from the same player, but the coach is putting unnecessary strain on those players in vulnerable positions.

Chopping and changing the playing personnel doesn't take away that risk, unless you replace the whole team with players who never make a mistake. Perhaps someone can name a team that never makes a mistake?

If we bring in a new set of defenders and continue with this way of playing, I'll guarantee next year, the same people on NCM will be calling for a cull of the defence again.
    Depends on the quality of the players bought in. And that depends on the price and their wages and our playing budget.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    LW took 18 points from his last 14 league games in charge, Maynard has collected half of that, 9.

Notts are conceding more goals under Maynard than Williams.
    If that's purely down to individual mistakes, then why are defenders making more individual mistakes under Maynard than Williams?
    I don't get why SM hasn't been pulled up on his false comparison. The end of the LW era had 2 fantastic, freescoring home wins to nil as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tommopie8 View Post
    Or perhaps it's you that doesn't have a clue? Williams didn't build the team. The owners and their recruitment team did. They haven't changed.

From Monday's line-up I'd keep all but Slocombe. Chicksen is fine as a utility back-up, Baldwin and or Cameron with a leader in their 30's alongside them could be okay but I wouldn't be upset if either left. Same with Bostock.

We look more solid - great. We still concede 2 & 3's most games and still concede a hell of a lot from crosses and space on the edge of the box.

Remind me how many home games we had lost this season prior to SM? We've been poxy all season away from home in the main. It was our home form sustaining our position and we're still awaiting our first home win under SM.

You're allowed your opinion just as others are allowed theirs but if you think Williams was handing out the extensions it's probably you who has their head up their arse tbh.
    Exactly this. It's either Radar/RM's recruitment for both or it isn't.

Bottom line is that SM has made us exclusively more negative whilst conceding pretty much the same amount of goals. He hasn't built on either win so far, our best players are being misused and their value will be plummeting (the opposite of the chances of them leaving this summer).

LW got far more out of us attack-wise and realised the best way to protect a weak backline created by someone else was to kill games off as quickly as possible.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123