+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Site Moderation Discussion

Ignore he is an old warrior going onto a dodgy site ,as it has nurse has just turned his light off with a box full of tissues.
    Not worth answering.

Quote Originally Posted by UlleyMiller View Post
    It's not my party mate. I don't personally think a bit of back and forth is an issue if both are okay with it. Ignoring is always an option.
    👍

Well I thought we all came out of this thread looking quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Well I thought we all came out of this thread looking quite good.
    Moderators ranged from "don't want the job" to Poundland alpha "back in my day".
    Old arguments resurfacing.
    Anything from hate speech to light banter bucketed as "all the same, really - impossible to distinguish the 'n word' from 'daft sod', so let's not kill ourselves trying".

Yup, in a rare turn of events, I agree with you. Solid score draw.

Hmm go to bed brin? Is that the same as shut up? Free speech? Some have it some dont...

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    You miss the point CT miller. It is not a sticky based on what Rolymiller wants its actually what footymad want...CAmiller was saying he couldnt be arsed to put footymads basic stuff up about playing nice on here as a sticky.

In effect Millers mad is not following Footymad guidelines on what is or not acceptable. I'm happy for Millersmad to follow Footymad rules. Presumably all other footymad sites do. Surely millersmad is accountable to Footymad or it may as well opt out and just go on its own.
    Roly, your own words are:

"Being anti woke or not challenging anti.woke views is not the voice of a moderate person."

That is your opinion. You appear to want moderators to moderate against that standard. As far as I can see from the rules, Footymad does not include that standard. They appear to say, in a nutshell, don't write anything illegal and try to get people to play nicely.

The moderators have the unenviable job of trying to interpret that across a very broad church of opinion and it will never be easy.

I certainly don't mind having a sticky reminding people of the rules but I don't accept that any of us has a right to dictate where the line in the sand should be drawn - as your statement seems to suggest - on what is acceptable and unacceptable.

If I've misunderstood or misinterpreted your intent, I apologise.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    I agree with CT's position. Trying to moderate posts on the basis that they are 'woke' or 'anti-woke' - or whatever - is fraught with difficulty. What one person considers unacceptable may be a mainstream view to others.

The moderators are responsible for setting the tone of the board however. If they allow a free for all where offensive and irritating posts are allowed to flourish then people will vote with their keyboards and stop posting. Quite a few people have done that already.

As for the site rules posted by Cam, I would suggest that there may be an issue if one of the moderators is happy to author abusive posts (and invite his chums to take part in a pile on). Who is moderating him?
    Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    The moderators have the unenviable job of trying to interpret that across a very broad church of opinion and it will never be easy.

I certainly don't mind having a sticky reminding people of the rules but I don't accept that any of us has a right to dictate where the line in the sand should be drawn - as your statement seems to suggest - on what is acceptable and unacceptable.

If I've misunderstood or misinterpreted your intent, I apologise.

You make good points CT.

The only issue I have is where one mod draws lines in the sand. His pals can rally round as much as they like. The fact is he likes to delete and edit posts he's involved with to change the narrative.

Bring back Millertop

Quote Originally Posted by UlleyMiller View Post
    Moderators ranged from "don't want the job" to Poundland alpha "back in my day".
    Old arguments resurfacing.
    Anything from hate speech to light banter bucketed as "all the same, really - impossible to distinguish the 'n word' from 'daft sod', so let's not kill ourselves trying".

Yup, in a rare turn of events, I agree with you. Solid score draw.
    Not wanting to do it isn't the same as not doing it.

Regarding MillersMad, if you can look at it this way and it may help you understand a bit.

If these site members were in a tap room then there'd be tables full of different mates that would naturally be drawn to one and other through opinions.
    Each person on those tables, the opinions would be stronger or weaker depending on their lifes experiences and some would also like the opinions on another table so would also join in with their conversation.
    Some people may enter the room have a walk round and think Fūck that I'm off.
    Some would walk around each table talling each group what was wrong with their opinions.
    One or two would constantly take the pīss out of another table and their opinions.
    One or two would be sat in a corner on their own talking about the same thing.

Then someone would start a music conversation and most in the room would join in. Thes would be pleasurable and folk would talk about by gone days.

A competition would start and most would join in. People would start taking the mick or having banter which would be met by more banter.

But there is one thing to consider and that is the age of everyone in the room. I'm 54 I know personally a few that are in their 70's, some that are in their 60's and a couple that are in their 40's.
    That is a generation of ages that have seen and lived through so much society changes that they're bnot sure anymore what you can or can't say. What people will accept or won't and mainly the older ones feeling that they should be respected as an elder as they respected their elders when society was different to what t is now.

A lot of us will not have grown up with gay people that were out. Trans people were a rare thing and statues of Winston Churchill were to be admired for leading the country through it's most difficult time.

There ar men on here that were thelast miners and steel workers that helped form this great country and saw it step by step being dismantled. We've seen/are seeing a world changing so fast that some are being left behind.

Not everyone knows what woke is and are actually quite happy to go along with being polite with a capacity of defending their possition.

Regarding the N word! I have seen it once on here and the user was banned until he apologised to the whole site. It wasn't accepted when the site started and it isn't accepted today.!
    Last edited by frogmiller; 04-04-2024 at 08:42 AM.

A couple of points:

Firstly, this is your forum. Much like any self-contained ecosystem (whether a pub, home, knitting group), it can function however the majority decide, with an ongoing respect for any overarching owner/laws, etc. I don't believe Roly is concerned with arguments getting heated and how to deal with that, just moderating what he (and some others) believe to be crossing a line where a demographic is getting insulted.

Secondly, 'woke' is just a way to describe an awareness of prejudice. It's (oddly) become both a pejorative term for people seen as overly sensitive to anything, and a compliment to those who consider social awareness and progressive thinking as positive.

Whilst Kerr has a point that some lines of discussion, terms, etc are going to split a room, others are pretty straightforward. Anyone still pretending that the 'p word' is acceptable isn't being wholly honest (unfathomable that there's still a post with that in there, despite what appeared to be a genuine apology for the person who wrote it). You get the forum you want in the end, and if more members (or those with a sheriff badge) are comfortable with racial slurs, misogyny and homophobic insults, others will have to deal with being around that sort of thing, or leave. If it suits more to go the other way, then as I said previously, members have autonomy over how things are run.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    Not wanting to do it isn't the same as not doing it.

Regarding MillersMad, if you can look at it this way and it may help you understand a bit.

If these site members were in a tap room then there'd be tables full of different mates that would naturally be drawn to one and other through opinions.
    Each person on those tables, the opinions would be stronger or weaker depending on their lifes experiences and some would also like the opinions on another table so would also join in with their conversation.
    Some people may enter the room have a walk round and think Fūck that I'm off.
    Some would walk around each table talling each group what was wrong with their opinions.
    One or two would constantly take the pīss out of another table and their opinions.
    One or two would be sat in a corner on their own talking about the same thing.

Then someone would start a music conversation and most in the room would join in. Thes would be pleasurable and folk would talk about by gone days.

A competition would start and most would join in. People would start taking the mick or having banter which would be met by more banter.

But there is one thing to consider and that is the age of everyone in the room. I'm 54 I know personally a few that are in their 70's, some that are in their 60's and a couple that are in their 40's.
    That is a generation of ages that have seen and lived through so much society changes that they're bnot sure anymore what you can or can't say. What people will accept or won't and mainly the older ones feeling that they should be respected as an elder as they respected their elders when society was different to what t is now.

A lot of us will not have grown up with gay people that were out. Trans people were a rare thing and statues of Winston Churchill were to be admired for leading the country through it's most difficult time.

There ar men on here that were thelast miners and steel workers that helped form this great country and saw it step by step being dismantled. We've seen/are seeing a world changing so fast that some are being left behind.

Not everyone knows what woke is and are actually quite happy to go along with being polite with a capacity of defending their possition.

Regarding the N word! I have seen it once on here and the user was banned until he apologised to the whole site. It wasn't accepted when the site started and it isn't accepted today.!
    It's important to remember this is an internet forum. Tap room logic falls down because these aren't private conversations, even if they're primarily between a small number of people, hence some items being subject to defamation and libel concerns. Also, there's ways to consider 'wokeness' in this setting, which don't mean statues are being harmed. A person who is 'woke' may speak out if someone uses certain terms on a forum, but they're not angrily pulling down a statue or waving a placard about the slave trade. Context is important.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast