+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Coventry - v - Leeds United *** Matchday Thread***

As many of you know, I’ve collected “one or two” goalkeeper shirts over the years.

The kits worn by the likes of Martyn and Robinson were industrial in construction to the flimsy things worn today, with serious elbow padding and side pads to the shorts.

You could probably have a scout camp in some of the older Puma shirts.

At the risk of just talking to myself, it’s even stranger that goalkeepers avoid catching balls as advances in materials science has meant that the various gloves available these days are much “stickier” providing you match the choice to the playing conditions and the latest balls are also less slick.

My game tomorrow has been postponed (we had about a foot of snow here a couple of days ago!), but I did venture out today to get a new pair of gloves (I went with Adidas: the Reusch ones I last played in weren’t in good shape). Not sure they’ll help me catch anything if I am covering in goal, but I won’t be able to blame the tools of the trade…

All good points Orgs but football at the top level seems increasingly prone to follow trends and vogues and the punching one caught hold a while back and won’t let go.

The likes of Southall, Seaman, Beasant, Crossley and those you mention for us all were good at clearing out oooo players when going for the ball and made their physical presence felt.

Maybe the use your feet trend applies to corners too 👀😎🤣

We were defo suckered into a crammed 6 yard box corner set-play which was sloppy defending.

Not particularily defending Mesllier 🤗 but at higher levels of the game two attackers often run or block toward opposite goal posts in plays designed to restrict the movement of the keeper - so in effect setting a "key" to open space for a third attacker that is much harder to spot.
    Keepers coming out jumping creates collisions so makes it way less effective.
    But as long as keepers are able to move through other players, disabling a goalkeepers movement during corners should not have been allowed to happen when the ball swings in !

Suggest a few players should watch it again.
    Georgie sadly looks off the pace after his surgery still, shame as he really does make us tick.

As for our performance the Primal Scream chorus lyric to Accelerator springs to mind.
    "Come on, come on,
    Hit the accelerator, the accelerator
    Come on, come on,
    Hit the accelerator, the accelerator" ! 👍

I have slept, got up and had breakfast. Drinking tea right now. And I am still miserable.

Still 5 games to go, run had to end at some point, Ipswich lost too, we dominated passion (yes granted we need to do something with it), lot of players not fully fit, should have grabbed a later equaliser so not all doom and gloom.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrypie7 View Post
    I have slept, got up and had breakfast. Drinking tea right now. And I am still miserable.
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by cherrypie7 View Post
    Me too, and it’s my (and the dog in the picture’s) birthday!

More grumpy than miserable?

Quote Originally Posted by Orgoner View Post

Watching United Liverpool. 0-1 at the moment. I am feeling slightly more optimistic thinking about our next match. Need to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Orgoner View Post

Happy birthday

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)